Baltic Film and Media school

Moderator: aaakknu

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Baltic Film and Media school

Postby Sol Invictus » 2009-01-27, 3:05

Hi, I'm wondering, if you, being Estonians, can tell anything about this school (their website), which is in Estonia. I was cosidering studying there, but last year I missed application deadline and started to study something totally different and now I am having second thoughts, but I am interested in what I study (while at the same time I don't want to work in that field) and have already paid some money for it, so I don't want to leave it without knowing what to expect. And I also would like to know how it is to study in Estonia in general for a foreigner

tunguuz

Re: Baltic Film and Media school

Postby tunguuz » 2009-01-27, 12:42

Sol Invictus wrote:Hi, I'm wondering

I only have heard someone complaining on the fees, but never on the content. You probably can compare professor names to Estonian film history and you understand what I mean.

I personally know 2 persons attending this establishment. One (male) finished his high school (ok, secondary school in our understanding) in a small town and then he went to study camerawork there. He is on his 1-st year now. Another person (a female) is more or less an experienced operator leading a rural film school and she takes the regie (2 days every forthnight). She is on her 2-nd year now.

Last but not least, I have seen some courseworks on our Estonian ETV1. I only found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_CKtN-F0EY on YouTube.

Sol Invictus wrote:like to know how it is to study in Estonia in general for a foreigner

Eh, a difficult question. Afros are so rare, almost a curiosity here, and girls love them. Italian men and English singlemen consider Estonian girls, thus beating happen sometimes :silly: After the Bronze Night, Russians are stared at, without any particular reason, but no actual beating happens. Food is expensive as is the housing. Internet and free WiFi are present everywhere. The crime is like everywhere in metropols, mostly schoolchildren (their Nokias) and drunk Finns (€+$) are targeted on the streets.

I see you are a female from LV, so shortly said, Tallinn is a bit of cheaper than Riga, the %% of Russians is less. English is spoken everywhere and German is spoken less. Other things are almost the same, including the common past and the divorce rate.

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2009-01-27, 17:39

Sounds almost like home :ohwell: What about living ? Do they have dorms or is it as with other foreign Universities who expect you to find an apartment or live with some family ? And the fee is 30% higher than what I pay now :| here we can pay semester fee in two parts, any chance Estonians too are having such a wonderful custom ? And by what system do you pick courses (I just want to know how much of what I'm looking at their page I get to study and if there is anything not from specialization I choose I can get) ? BTW I am wondering about their BA in Media.

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2009-07-06, 10:29

So I applied and now there are enterance exams (some kind of test and an interview), I wonder if Estonians have any kind of exam "traditions" that I better follow (like we don't have any dress code anymore, but we got rules on color of pens)

Return to “Estonian (Eesti keel)”