Translation for lyrics needed

Moderator: aaakknu

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Translation for lyrics needed

Postby Sol Invictus » 2009-06-08, 21:58

To fully appreciate this, few facts first: Ruhnu is a little island, situated right in middle of Riga bay and bears are rare and protected in Latvia (but more common in Estonia). The last thing anyone would expect to happen was island's inhabitants waking up one day to find tracks of a bear. Estonians made quite a fuss out out of it. It is assumed the bear had arrived on piece of floating ice from Latvia and eventualy left the island in the same manner and probably is the bear seen in Courland some time later.

Loiks

Postby Loiks » 2009-06-12, 15:29

Ruhnu (Runö) was inhabited by Swedes until WWII. In 1920 or something there was a referendum whether they wanted to be part of Estonia or Latvia. Well, they would have wanted to be part of Sweden but that wasn't option. So they voted for Estonia because all their seal hunting territories were in Estonian waters. It was an isolated society where the only Estonians were the border guards.

Nobody hates anybody, it's just usual neighbors' mocking. Can you show me neighboring countries in Europe that don't have such jokes on each other? Saldejums (saldejumps as we say it) just happens to be the word that all Estonians know in Latvian, I honestly don't know why. It is kind of inherited through generations. For some reason it must sound funny (not so much for me personally 'cause I have some knowledge about Latvian). Nobody knows anything about Latvia, it's a shame. They usually put s at the end of Estonian words and... ha-ha-haaa.

It's the same as when I watched some Lithuanian tv show, there were all Estonian names with at least five vowels in a row. Our basketball player Gert Kullamäe was like Geeeert Kuuuullaaaameeee. :mrgreen:

Levo

Postby Levo » 2009-06-15, 10:06

Just to note it about saldejums, it is just the same word we all know in ...Slavic. (I don't want to make a false guess about the language, and it is not important, since they are all the same for us).
Zmrzlina. (And we pronounce Zmörzlina or Zmürzlina)

Angell

Postby Angell » 2009-07-05, 12:00

Hello everyone :) I am loooking for some help with translations from Estonian to English. I am one of the webmasters of a fansite about the band Vanilla Ninja - love-ninjas.com and need someone who would translate some articles from Estonian portals from time to time. If anyone of you would be interested, please contact me by PM, it's kinda immediate :) greets

Steisi

Postby Steisi » 2009-07-07, 8:31

I wonder if anyone knows where to get the lyrics to songs from the band Zetod? I *know* they're in seto ("dialect") and not estonian but this is my best bet, right? ;)
Native: English
Fluent: Finnish
Want to resuscitate: German
Actively learning: Hebrew
Wishes she had time for: Northern Sámi
En usko humalaan.

Loiks

Postby Loiks » 2009-07-07, 14:43

Steisi wrote:I wonder if anyone knows where to get the lyrics to songs from the band Zetod? I *know* they're in seto ("dialect") and not estonian but this is my best bet, right? ;)

Difficult. Seems to be not very internet friendly collective. I googled but couldn't find anything proper.

Steisi

Postby Steisi » 2009-07-07, 15:13

Loiks wrote:
Steisi wrote:I wonder if anyone knows where to get the lyrics to songs from the band Zetod? I *know* they're in seto ("dialect") and not estonian but this is my best bet, right? ;)

Difficult. Seems to be not very internet friendly collective. I googled but couldn't find anything proper.

Yeah.. thanks for looking though =)
Native: English
Fluent: Finnish
Want to resuscitate: German
Actively learning: Hebrew
Wishes she had time for: Northern Sámi
En usko humalaan.

Dawid

Postby Dawid » 2009-07-23, 16:32

could you? ;>

Päikese poole

Ta kõnnib mööda köit,
kahe pilvelõhkuja vahel.
Kergel sammul läheb,
kui kõnniks lihtsalt mööda teed.

Habras õhuke joon,
viib üle hea ja kurja vahelt.
Silmapiir ta ees,
kui unistuste riim.

Päikese poole,
tormi-lindude tee viib kaasa.
Kandes ta soove,
suurlinna tolmustelt teedelt.
Valguse poole,
hämaraist varjudest kaugemale.
Samm-haaval liigub,
noor ja kartmatu hing.

On tõusmas tuul,
aega jäänud on vähe.
Uudistaja pilgud taevas,
jälgivad ta teed.
Nii kõndides,
kui hea ja kurja vahel.
Ta endale kindlaks jäädes
kaugustesse läheb.

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2009-07-27, 21:50

Loiks wrote: Saldejums (saldejumps as we say it) just happens to be the word that all Estonians know in Latvian, I honestly don't know why. It is kind of inherited through generations. For some reason it must sound funny

And all this time I didn't realise that jäätis is acctual word not some weird and ugly Finnish ice cream brand :doh:

Loiks

Postby Loiks » 2009-08-04, 14:10

Sol Invictus wrote:
Loiks wrote: Saldejums (saldejumps as we say it) just happens to be the word that all Estonians know in Latvian, I honestly don't know why. It is kind of inherited through generations. For some reason it must sound funny

And all this time I didn't realise that jäätis is acctual word not some weird and ugly Finnish ice cream brand :doh:

This weird and ugly Finnish brand is Jättis I guess.

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2009-08-06, 14:54

Loiks wrote:
Sol Invictus wrote:

This weird and ugly Finnish brand is Jättis I guess.

Yeah, I think Ingman is Finnish, but anyway it is almost the same - who calls ice cream like that and then says that Latvian word for it is funny ? :lol: (BTW please don't take my remarks too serious, I am mostly finding all Latvians vs. Estonians stuff slightly amusing)

Loiks

Postby Loiks » 2009-08-07, 14:56

Sol Invictus wrote:Yeah, I think Ingman is Finnish, but anyway it is almost the same - who calls ice cream like that and then says that Latvian word for it is funny ? :lol: (BTW please don't take my remarks too serious, I am mostly finding all Latvians vs. Estonians stuff slightly amusing)

BTW, there exists an Estonian word jätis which means something like 'scum'.

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2009-08-08, 17:17

See ? You have ice cream problems not us :lol: if you'd live up to our stereotypes, according to which Estonians always say t and p instead of d and b, saldējums would be funny for everyone, now it's just plain weird. And, anyway -I think they pronounced that as jatis in ads

Return to “Estonian (Eesti keel)”