Question re Estonian word for "chess"

Moderator: aaakknu

Infohunter

Question re Estonian word for "chess"

Postby Infohunter » 2007-08-12, 18:29

Hello,
I am currently conducting research on the jargon of the game of chess across many languages. In the vast majority of these languages, the word for "chess" is either directly or indirectly derived from the Persian word shah ("king"). I see that this is not so in Estonian, the word being male. Can anyone tell me what the derivation of this word is? Please note that I am not fluent in Estonian.
Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2007-08-12, 18:51

In Turkish, it is "Şah". They are pronounced same in both Persian and Turkish. By the way, what is it related with Estonian?

hanumizzle
Location: concat(List.intersperse " " (map (x -> reverse x) ["lol", "tuw"]))

Postby hanumizzle » 2007-08-12, 19:09

Alcadras wrote:In Turkish, it is "Şah". They are pronounced same in both Persian and Turkish. By the way, what is it related with Estonian?

Apparently it isn't. :)

Infohunter

Postby Infohunter » 2007-08-12, 19:13

Alcadras wrote:In Turkish, it is "Şah". They are pronounced same in both Persian and Turkish. By the way, what is it related with Estonian?

Thank you for the input on the Turkish word for "chess".
As for your question, I'm not quite sure I understand just what you mean, but I'll give it a try: The origin of the Estonian word male is of interest to me because it does not seem to have been borrowed from the Persian shah, which the Turkish Şah was (directly) and the English chess was (indirectly, through medieval French).

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2007-08-12, 19:27

Well, Satranç means Chess in Turkish. Şah is just one of the chess pawn, as you know. :wink:

Infohunter

Postby Infohunter » 2007-08-12, 20:01

Alcadras wrote:Well, Satranç means Chess in Turkish. Şah is just one of the chess pawn, as you know. :wink:

Got it on the first point. As to the second point, I assume by "pawn" you mean "piece", since this Şah is the King, according to my sources, both online and offline. For an example of the former, see this page:
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Me ... pieces.htm
As you will see, its author, a Finn, gives the basic, rudimentary terminology of chess in 73 different languages.
Now if only I had an answer to my original question....

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2007-08-12, 20:52

Infohunter wrote:
Alcadras wrote:Well, Satranç means Chess in Turkish. Şah is just one of the chess pawn, as you know. :wink:

As to the second point, I assume by "pawn" you mean "piece"

Yes. :wink:

Ada H.

Postby Ada H. » 2007-08-13, 9:33

Estonian chess terminology, including the name of the game, was developed by Estonian journalist Ado Grenzstein (1849-1916). The word male was derived from malev ('army', arch.).

Infohunter

Postby Infohunter » 2007-08-13, 23:43

Ada H. wrote:Estonian chess terminology, including the name of the game, was developed by Estonian journalist Ado Grenzstein (1849-1916). The word male was derived from malev ('army', arch.).

Thank you very much for your information, Ada. I will research Grenzstein's life and work for further information. Just for openers, I have already found the German version of the Wikipedia article on this man. I must say I am impressed with his prolific, not to mention versatile, literary output.
Thanks once again. :)

Return to “Estonian (Eesti keel)”