Estonia in April

Moderator: aaakknu

Zorba

Estonia in April

Postby Zorba » 2007-01-11, 13:51

Tere everyone!

I'm thinking of going out to Estonia in April for several days. I'll be going to Tallinn to meet up with a friend who is working there, but beyond that I'm open to suggestions. I've already spent a bit of time in Tallinn and I've seen Tartu, Parnu and Narva before. This time, I'd like to see some of the islands or maybe go down to Setumaa. Would you recommend either of these destinations for a couple of days, and is April too early to go to the islands?

Loiks

Postby Loiks » 2007-01-11, 15:48

As we have had no frost and snow this winter so far I'm pretty sure we gonna have all this in April and May :). It doesn't however keep you away from the big islands Saaremaa and Hiiumaa, the ferries go all the winter through, also planes from Tallinn. It can just be cold and windy and dirty in April.

Levo

Postby Levo » 2007-01-11, 18:27

I'd join to the one speaking before me (or English doesn't use this expression? ) We are planning to visit Estonia this Summer. What we surely want to see is Tallinn and Tartu, I'd like to see Saaremaa too, but have no idea what to do there :) What would an Estonian recommend to a language-relative to see there in 2, max. 3 days?

Zorba

Postby Zorba » 2007-01-11, 20:31

I'm not an Estonian, but I have spent a little bit of time there. I don't know if you might be too ambitious to plan to see Tartu, Tallinn and Saaremaa in 2-3 days. From what I know about the islands, they are more a place to relax for a few days rather than investigate in a single day. I wonder what Loiks thinks?

As for Tallinn and Tartu, I'll repeat the advice that I gave to Saar before he went there:

Tallinn's old town is really quaint (though quite touristy). Lots of expensive little souvenir shops to wander around. There's the Occupation Museum too, which is worth a visit if you're interested in history; an impressive nightlife. Just outside the centre, I thought the Kadriorg Palace was very nice and there are reasonable beaches at Pirita. You can hire a bike to cycle around.

Tartu could be an overnight stop, it's the university city, very authentically Estonian and quite pretty, with its own 'leaning tower'. It is home to the excellent Museum of National History, again good if you're interested in history.

Narva is a depressed Soviet town just shy of the Russian border with one redeeming feature: there are two castles within a stone's throw of each other, one on the Russian side, one on the Estonian side. They are quite magnificent, and the stream marking the boundary between Estonia and Russia is deeply symbolic... I really liked this place, but there's really nothing else to see in Narva and it is quite far from Tallinn.

Parnu is a pleasant, quiet resort town on the West Coast, where you can have a mudbath. Again, though, it's probably not worthwhile if you're only going for a couple of days.

http://www.inyourpocket.com/estonia/en/ is a great site for exploring the options for tourism in Estonia.

Loiks

Postby Loiks » 2007-01-14, 11:21

For information about islands:

www.saaremaa.ee
www.hiiumaa.ee

I guess the main reason for interest for an Estonian about the islands is the very fact that they are islands :).

Return to “Estonian (Eesti keel)”