About minor Finnic languages

Moderator:aaakknu

Loiks
About minor Finnic languages

Postby Loiks » 2006-10-21, 14:46

My Finnish friend sent me this link. There are examples of those (nearly) extinct languages connected to Estonian and Finnish. The influence of Russian pronunciation (for Livonian Latvian) is obvious, of course, but I understand everything if they are written. It seems to be inevitable that those minor peoples tend to take over the pronounciation and manners to speak from their official language. Even in 1930's Latvia there was mental terror on Livonian children at schools, the 'horse language' was banned and physical punishments included.

There was a great 'tribal' movement in Estonia and Finland that supported the Livonian culture in 1930's but WWII ended those efforts, Finland fighting for its freedom and Estonians for their survival.

http://video.helsinki.fi/Media-arkisto/ ... apset.html

maeng

Postby maeng » 2006-11-02, 21:05

Nice link :). I think the relations between Finnic languages are very intresting. Too bad that many of the languages are on the verge of becoming extinct or not having a secured position within the community.

Levo

Postby Levo » 2007-05-11, 20:28

Ahh this is so cool! At least a page where one can hear a longer conversation with subtitle. Nice job balti-finnek! :D

Loiks

Postby Loiks » 2007-05-12, 10:44

I'm so sad you don't have your own Magyaric family out there:).

p.s.

I visited Budapest at the end of April, it was even more beautiful than I remembered! My friend who was there first time said only WOW!!!

Levo

Postby Levo » 2007-05-12, 18:16

Loiks wrote:I'm so sad you don't have your own Magyaric family out there:).

p.s.

I visited Budapest at the end of April, it was even more beautiful than I remembered! My friend who was there first time said only WOW!!!

Ahh, how good to hear it! And you know what? I have just taken out the latest book about Estonia, written by a half-Hungarian, half-Estonian man and Estonia just charmed me even more. As for the pictures Tallinn must be beautiful!

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2007-05-19, 12:15

I read that Estonian and Livonian are mutually intelligible. Are they really and to what degree ?

Loiks

Postby Loiks » 2007-05-20, 9:16

Sol Invictus wrote:I read that Estonian and Livonian are mutually intelligible. Are they really and to what degree ?

Baltic-Finnic languages are divided into Northern and Southern branch. The Southern branch consists of (Northern and Southern) Estonian , Votic and Livonian . Livonian differs from the other languages by huge Latvian influences (pronunciation, no gradation, grammar etc). I understand it quite easily though. Then again I have learned about it at the university, I can't say about a 'simple' Estonian, would he or she be able to understand the logic how Livonian words differ from Estonian ones.

A sample from a song known to Latvians :):

Livonian:

Pūgõ tūļ un ajā laijõ,
ajā minnõn Kūrmōlõ.

Estonian (translation from Livonian):

Puhu tuul ja aja laeva,
aja mind Kuramaale.

English:

Blow wind and push the ship,
push me to Courland.

Steisi

Re: About minor Finnic languages

Postby Steisi » 2007-08-13, 10:22

These videos are GREAT! Thanks! :mrgreen:
Native: English
Fluent: Finnish
Want to resuscitate: German
Actively learning: Hebrew
Wishes she had time for: Northern Sámi
En usko humalaan.

Martin303

Postby Martin303 » 2008-04-22, 19:23

Loiks wrote:My Finnish friend sent me this link. There are examples of those (nearly) extinct languages connected to Estonian and Finnish. The influence of Russian pronunciation (for Livonian Latvian) is obvious, of course, but I understand everything if they are written. It seems to be inevitable that those minor peoples tend to take over the pronounciation and manners to speak from their official language. Even in 1930's Latvia there was mental terror on Livonian children at schools, the 'horse language' was banned and physical punishments included.

There was a great 'tribal' movement in Estonia and Finland that supported the Livonian culture in 1930's but WWII ended those efforts, Finland fighting for its freedom and Estonians for their survival.

http://video.helsinki.fi/Media-arkisto/vainolan_lapset

.html

Kiitos videoista!!!!

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2019-12-13, 4:25

I just happened to find this old thread, which I hadn't seen before, while searching for something else. In case someone else comes across this thread and doesn't already know, I thought I'd post here to say that there is now a Uralic languages forum on this board which includes the minor Finnic languages being discussed here, with many resources for each of these languages.

Here are the links:
Uralic Language Forum
Thread for Karelian (karjala keel)
Thread for Ludian (lüüdi keel)
Thread for Veps (vepsa keel)
Thread for Ingrian (isuri keel)
Thread for Votian (vadja keel)
Thread for Võro (võru keel)
Thread for Livonian (liivi keel)

Return to “Estonian (Eesti keel)”