Küsimus eesti keele kohta / Questions about Estonian

Moderator: aaakknu

Linguaphile

Re: Küsimus eesti keele kohta / Questions about Estonian

Postby Linguaphile » 2021-03-24, 2:22

Prantsis wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:This type of stove (I know it's a type of puupliit and I suppose also a type of pliitahi, but I'm wondering if there's a different word for this specific kind, that has a large "mouth" for the cooking space with heated areas both above and below it). I suppose the purpose of the upper part is to function like a soemüür to heat the room. So we've got soemüürid, pliidid, ahjud, but what do you call the whole unit like this? I've tried various terms in Google Image search, but none of my terms include images of this style of stove.

I´ve tried various terms too, like "kütte- ja küpsetusahi", and the closest design I've found is this:

They call that "rootsi ahi", or even "rootslane".
But it seems they´re all made of brick, so I'm not sure it answers your question.

It seems like many of those sites might be translated from some other language. Like this one: Kuidas voldida Rootsi kütte- ja pliit (where the URL itself is in English: "how-to-fold-a-swedish-heating-and-cooking-stove"). :para:
Anyway a lot of the sites that use that term have "et" in the URL which usually means it's an Estonian version of a website that is otherwise in another language, often machine-translated. So it might be "rootsi ahi", or that might be a just poor translation from some other language? Just because the site is a translation doesn't necessarily mean they aren't actually called "rootsi ahi" in Estonian, I'm just not as confident about it when I see that kind of translated page. And yeah, they do all seem to be made of brick. :noclue:
Anyway, thank you for looking and posting! It's certainly quite close to what I was looking for, closer than what I'd found.

By the way, before you spend (more) time looking everywhere, it seems that stuff in my second set of photos is called krohvimatid.

Prantsis

Postby Prantsis » 2021-03-24, 3:30

Linguaphile wrote:It seems like many of those sites might be translated from some other language.

Yes, you're completely right.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2021-03-24, 4:38

Prantsis wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:It seems like many of those sites might be translated from some other language.

Yes, you're completely right.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure you've found exactly the right thing, which is more than I was able to do. With your discovery I did another search using the Russian words for "rootsi ahi" (шведская печь) and "rootslane" (шведка). So now I know what it is called in Russian. (I don't know what to do with this information, but there it is. LOL) It has a Wikipedia page in Russian, but unfortunately no English or Estonian equivalent page that would give the name in those languages.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2021-06-14, 18:45

Loen Toomas Hendrik Ilvese elulugu. Raamatult leidsin lause "...Manhattani saare Upper West Side'i piirkonnas asuvas Morningside Heightsi rajoonis" ja see mind üllatas natuke lugeda, et kutsutati Ameerika Ühendriikide linna naabruskond "rajooniks". Kas see on normaalne? Eestikeelne Wikipedia järgi on Morningside Heights "naabruskond, mis asub Manhattani linnaosas, Harlemi ja Upper West Side'i vahepeal" ja kõik need on "naabruskonnad". Inglise keeles kasutatakse venekeelest laenatud sõna "raion" ehk "rayon" peamiselt ainult siis, kui tegemist on Venemaa või NSV-Liidu piirkonnadest ja ma arvasin, et eesti keeles ka. Eestimaal ei ole ju enam rajoone vaid pigem maakonnad. Kas teile siis ei kõla imelikult, et meil Ameerika Ühendriikides lausa Manhattani saarel oleks rajoonid alles? Või kas ainult minul on selline tunne?
:hmm: :silly:

ainurakne

Postby ainurakne » 2021-06-15, 15:53

Ma pakun, et igasuguseid selliseid nimetusi kasutatakse üsna meelevaldselt eesti keeles ja eriti tähelepanu ei pöörata, kas sai nüüd õigesti või mitte.

Samas, kui vaadata Eesti keele seletavast sõnaraamatust, siis ei ole NSV Liidu haldusüksus sugugi mitte rajooni esimene tähendus. Näib, et ta võib olla igasugune maa-ala või piirkond.
Eesti keel (et) native, English (en) I can manage, Suomi (fi) trying to learn, Pусский (ru)&Deutsch (de) unfortunately, slowly fading away

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2021-06-15, 16:37

ainurakne wrote:Ma pakun, et igasuguseid selliseid nimetusi kasutatakse üsna meelevaldselt eesti keeles ja eriti tähelepanu ei pöörata, kas sai nüüd õigesti või mitte.

Samas, kui vaadata Eesti keele seletavast sõnaraamatust, siis ei ole NSV Liidu haldusüksus sugugi mitte rajooni esimene tähendus. Näib, et ta võib olla igasugune maa-ala või piirkond.

Aitäh!

Return to “Estonian (Eesti keel)”