Translation mystery

Moderator:Dark_Horse

nat28
Translation mystery

Postby nat28 » 2015-05-11, 16:01

Hi there,

My grandmother is originally from northern Greece (macedonia) and I'm trying to translate a phrase she's always said but am having no luck. She always said "ti mil vam" to tell her grandchildren "I love you". However I can't find seem to find anywhere that says ti mil vam translates to I love you. I was wondering if anyone could help me out. Perhaps I have "ti mil vam" written incorrectly or it doesn't directly translate to I love you.

Any insight would be helpful! Thanks in advance!!

N.

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Translation mystery

Postby Multiturquoise » 2015-05-20, 10:14

"Ti mil vam" doesn't seem Greek at all. It looks like some Slavic language. In Demotic Greek, I love you is "Σ' αγαπώ". I'll leave the rest to the natives.
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

dimos

Postby dimos » 2015-05-22, 13:42

This is not greek or aromanian (my native languages). It could be some slavic or turkish dialect spoken in Macedonia in the past. If you know the town where she was from...
How come you don't know what language your grandmother spoke? :?

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2015-05-23, 11:34

dimos wrote:This is not greek or aromanian (my native languages). It could be some slavic or turkish dialect spoken in Macedonia in the past. If you know the town where she was from...
How come you don't know what language your grandmother spoke? :?

No, it's not Turkish. In standard Turkish it's "Seni seviyorum", and in some dialects "Seni seviyom", "Seni seveyrum", "Seni sevirem". It's most likely Slavic.
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2016-02-29, 10:08

nat28 wrote:Hi there,

My grandmother is originally from northern Greece (macedonia) and I'm trying to translate a phrase she's always said but am having no luck. She always said "ti mil vam" to tell her grandchildren "I love you". However I can't find seem to find anywhere that says ti mil vam translates to I love you. I was wondering if anyone could help me out. Perhaps I have "ti mil vam" written incorrectly or it doesn't directly translate to I love you.

N.

It seems that it's a Slavic language.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

dimos

Postby dimos » 2016-03-24, 22:07

nat28 wrote:Hi there,

N.

It's Pomak :)

Return to “Greek (Ελληνικά)”