Thanks,but change of plans

Moderator:Dark_Horse

Qlraw
Thanks,but change of plans

Postby Qlraw » 2010-04-25, 11:49

Thank you again! :thanks:
Last edited by Qlraw on 2012-01-17, 16:44, edited 1 time in total.

sergiolopes

Re: I need help!Studying abroad!

Postby sergiolopes » 2010-04-25, 13:07

AEdle wrote:2. What language should I learn : the ancient greek or the modern one?(I only know to speak in greek,but I`ve started to write I mean i am trying to learn to write...)

If you wanted to study in Portugal, would you learn Latin? Or if you wanted to study in England, would you learn Old English? :mrgreen:

Just kidding. Your only option is Modern Greek.
"Books permit us to voyage through time, to tap the wisdom of our ancestors."

Native speaker of Portuguese, who's fluent in English, intermediate in Spanish and has some passive knowledge of French. My passion is Greek, which I study along with Dutch. I dream of one day being fluent in Icelandic.

Qlraw

Postby Qlraw » 2010-04-25, 16:27

sergiolopes wrote:
AEdle wrote:2. What language should I learn : the ancient greek or the modern one?(I only know to speak in greek,but I`ve started to write I mean i am trying to learn to write...)

If you wanted to study in Portugal, would you learn Latin? Or if you wanted to study in England, would you learn Old English? :mrgreen:

Just kidding. Your only option is Modern Greek.

:lol: I`m already learning Latin :lol: .

Yes I know but I was searching for Faculty of Law and saw "ancient greek" and I was wondering if they only study it like I do(2-3 hours/week just to remember it) or they are teaching in ancient greek.

Thank you anyway :)

ego

Postby ego » 2010-05-24, 20:19

In Komotini you will be bored to death after the first 3 months. Thessaloniki I'd say. Has a great students life. There is an international university in Thessaloniki where classes are in English and it attracts students from the Balkans mainly. Can't remember its name..

I am not sure whether ancient Greek is taught at the Law Schools. I know it is an entry requirement, maybe that's what you found. But of course you must be good in Greek although they usually ask for 1 year of language before you start your studies and so even those who don't speak Greek at all can study.

Qlraw

Postby Qlraw » 2010-05-27, 16:55

ego wrote:In Komotini you will be bored to death after the first 3 months. Thessaloniki I'd say. Has a great students life. There is an international university in Thessaloniki where classes are in English and it attracts students from the Balkans mainly. Can't remember its name..

I am not sure whether ancient Greek is taught at the Law Schools. I know it is an entry requirement, maybe that's what you found. But of course you must be good in Greek although they usually ask for 1 year of language before you start your studies and so even those who don't speak Greek at all can study.

Thank you again!
:)
Last edited by Qlraw on 2012-01-17, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.

Oleksij

Postby Oleksij » 2010-05-27, 21:26

That sounds really good,I`m going to search about that international university.Hope they`ll receive intermediar in greek.

What ego most likely meant was one of the private third-level educational colleges (fee-paying obviously and quite expensive), most of which are affiliated in various ways with British and American universities and require zero proficiency in Greek, since they're almost entirely anglophone. They're technically not universities, though (except for IHU). In Thessaloniki you'll find American College, ICBS, Mediterranean College, International Hellenic University amongst others.

Public universities in Thessaloniki are the Aristotle University and the University of Macedonia, where studies are primarily in Greek (except for Erasmus and other exchange program students, I guess). You can enroll with almost zero proficiency in Greek (to my humble knowledge), since foreigners are encouraged to study and language courses are provided.

Otherwise, you could also consider the Panteion University in Athens, which is politics and law-oriented.
Moja ulica murem podzielona - świeci neonami prawa strona, lewa strona cała wygaszona, zza zasłony obserwuję obie strony.
Youtube Channel

Qlraw

Postby Qlraw » 2010-05-28, 17:48

Oleksij wrote:
That sounds really good,I`m going to search about that international university.Hope they`ll receive intermediar in greek.

What ego most likely meant was one of the private third-level educational colleges (fee-paying obviously and quite expensive), most of which are affiliated in various ways with British and American universities and require zero proficiency in Greek, since they're almost entirely anglophone. They're technically not universities, though (except for IHU). In Thessaloniki you'll find American College, ICBS, Mediterranean College, International Hellenic University amongst others.

Public universities in Thessaloniki are the Aristotle University and the University of Macedonia, where studies are primarily in Greek (except for Erasmus and other exchange program students, I guess). You can enroll with almost zero proficiency in Greek (to my humble knowledge), since foreigners are encouraged to study and language courses are provided.

Otherwise, you could also consider the Panteion University in Athens, which is politics and law-oriented.

Thank you! :)
Last edited by Qlraw on 2012-01-17, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.

ego

Postby ego » 2010-08-16, 18:02

AEdle wrote:
Oleksij wrote:

I was looking for the international university and they only have a master in law ..

Personaly I`d be happy to study in greek to university,because I want to learn it for my future...but also I am not sure that i`ll have enough time to learn all the words...to don`t get in trouble over there and stare at the teacher without knowing about what is he/she talking.

I `m going to see the Panteion one because has the subject that I want to study about.

Thank you! :)

I had many foreign friends at the uni, primarily from Arab countries and they knew absolutely no Greek when they were accepted. They had to finish one year of intensive language study and after an exam which everyone passes they were admitted to the uni. All of them studied successfully although at the first 1-2 years language was indeed a problem. Also because during the language year they couldn't be bothered to study a bit.. and also because they were all the time among themselves and didn't socialize with Greeks, which is not easy though if you don't speak the language I must admit. I knew a guy from Palestine, he was so smart he learnt Greek fluently very fast and made many Greek friends, he was one of the most popular guys in his class. He had a great time in Greece. It all depends on your character after all. Some Lebanese friends who were more shy and avoided speaking Greek and socialize with Greeks didn't have such a nice time at first.

So anyway, no need for you to study in a private anglophone college although it would be a good option if you can afford it.

Oleksij

Postby Oleksij » 2010-08-16, 18:37

ego wrote:So anyway, no need for you to study in a private anglophone college although it would be a good option if you can afford it.

Studying at a private third-level college is a hassle anyway (because of the lack of recognition, etc.) and the drawbacks are that few foreigners learn any Greek during their time in Greece, which is... well, κρίμα.
Moja ulica murem podzielona - świeci neonami prawa strona, lewa strona cała wygaszona, zza zasłony obserwuję obie strony.
Youtube Channel

Return to “Greek (Ελληνικά)”