Translation requests, lyrics etc

Moderator: Dark_Horse

tana
Posts: 38
Joined: 2007-03-25, 13:55
Real Name: tana
Gender: female
Location: Belgrade
Country: RS Serbia (Србија)

Postby tana » 2007-05-16, 9:02

ХЕЈ..ХЕЈ...АБЕРИНЕ...ЧЕСТИТ РОЖДЕН ДЕН!!!!

:birthday:

User avatar
Aberine
Posts: 167
Joined: 2005-11-25, 11:47
Real Name: Πριγκήπισσα Άμπεριν
Gender: female
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria, The end of EU
Country: BG Bulgaria (България)
Contact:

Postby Aberine » 2007-05-16, 14:46

Благодаря много Тана :)
Поздрави :D

User avatar
HaggenKennedy
Posts: 267
Joined: 2006-05-15, 21:54
Real Name: Haggen Kennedy
Gender: male
Location: Salvador
Country: BR Brazil (Brasil)
Contact:

Postby HaggenKennedy » 2007-05-16, 15:47

Out of curiosity, what is it that you two do in order to speak to each other? You only choose words that are the same in all Slavic languages? How does that work? :-p

tana
Posts: 38
Joined: 2007-03-25, 13:55
Real Name: tana
Gender: female
Location: Belgrade
Country: RS Serbia (Србија)

Postby tana » 2007-05-16, 17:47

Τι κάνεις ρε Κεν; :D
HaggenKennedy wrote:How does that work? :-p

well that works like this:
it's all written in Bulgarian whitch is very similar to Serbian and we can understand each other with no trouble but there are diferences (I think it's something like Spanish and Portuguese). Today is her birthday so I wrote to her happy birthday in Bulgarian = честит рожден ден, in Serbian it would be срећан рођендан and she answered in Bulgarian thank you a lot Tana = Благодаря много Тана and in Serbian it would be хвала много Тана....It is all cyrillic but there are some different letters, for instance the letter я don't exist in Serbian and so one...Can you read cyrillic ???? - I'm curious... 8)

User avatar
HaggenKennedy
Posts: 267
Joined: 2006-05-15, 21:54
Real Name: Haggen Kennedy
Gender: male
Location: Salvador
Country: BR Brazil (Brasil)
Contact:

Postby HaggenKennedy » 2007-05-16, 22:14

tana wrote:Τι κάνεις ρε Κεν; :D

:shock: Who's been teaching you that stuff? :-p


tana wrote:it's all written in Bulgarian

Ah, that's why. I do remember some of my friends from Serbia and Bulgaria speaking together at times, and I knew it was a Slavic language they were using, but I didn't know which one it was; or if maybe they were speaking more than one language. So I always wondered if they were speaking Bulgarian, Serbian, or if each spoke their own language... or if they spoke Russian (like a bunch of other people I met from Armenia, Ukraine etc. that had Russian as their lingua franca). :)


tana wrote:Can you read cyrillic ???? - I'm curious... 8)

Yeah, though only Russian cyrillic and Serbian cyrillic. I still make mistakes sometimes, though. For example, the C can be "ts" or "s", depending on whether it's the Latin alphabet or the Serbian cyrillic alphabet. Usually I remember which is which when I remember "Podgorica" (because of one of my Serbian friends). In which case I know it's written with the Latin alphabet, thus 'C' is "ts" - therefore, Serbian "C" must be "s". Obviously it sounds silly (maybe even stupid) for native Serbian speakers, but well... my knowledge of Slavic languages is very shallow. :oops:

tana
Posts: 38
Joined: 2007-03-25, 13:55
Real Name: tana
Gender: female
Location: Belgrade
Country: RS Serbia (Србија)

Postby tana » 2007-05-16, 23:09

HaggenKennedy wrote:
tana wrote:Τι κάνεις ρε Κεν; :D

:shock: Who's been teaching you that stuff? :-p


Why? What's wrong? :( I thought it's usual, unformal greeting between friends :noclue:

User avatar
HaggenKennedy
Posts: 267
Joined: 2006-05-15, 21:54
Real Name: Haggen Kennedy
Gender: male
Location: Salvador
Country: BR Brazil (Brasil)
Contact:

Postby HaggenKennedy » 2007-05-17, 2:12

tana wrote:Why? What's wrong? :( I thought it's usual, unformal greeting between friends :noclue:

Lol. I guess among male friends it could be expected. I just didn't see it coming from you. :-p

Not to worry, though, it was still fun. :lol:

tana
Posts: 38
Joined: 2007-03-25, 13:55
Real Name: tana
Gender: female
Location: Belgrade
Country: RS Serbia (Србија)

Postby tana » 2007-05-17, 7:34

Hey thanks for telling me that! :D

I didn't know it's not appropriate for females to use it...and I need a short explanation because I can't see why...I thought ti kaneis re = how are you... is slang, informal and friendly (but not rude???? :notme: ) because of little word RE. We have in Serbian something like that, actually I think it's the same thing -BRE- and it's used by males and females equaly and so often that nobody pays attention...ti kaneis re = kako si bre ... ela re = ajde bre... those are the commonest phrases you can hear :angelic:

User avatar
HaggenKennedy
Posts: 267
Joined: 2006-05-15, 21:54
Real Name: Haggen Kennedy
Gender: male
Location: Salvador
Country: BR Brazil (Brasil)
Contact:

Postby HaggenKennedy » 2007-05-17, 14:32

tana wrote:I didn't know it's not appropriate for females to use it...

Well, females can use it, but that depends on personality and character. I've heard it before from women, but never being uttered directly to me - they were speaking to a close friend, also a woman. Besides, when I hear women (or anyone else, for that matter) saying "ρε", it's more like, "ρε, ego! Βλάκας είσαι;! Μην κάνεις έτσι!". :lol: It's a little bolder, but it's still within the cultural frame of Greek temperament, which makes it an ordinary event. :)


tana wrote:and I need a short explanation because I can't see why...

I take it you know where "ρε" comes from? It comes from "μωρέ", the vocative for the adjective "μωρός", which means "fool", "idiot". So when you say "τι κάνεις ρε" you're saying what would be in English, "yo, whaddup bitch!". Which male friends often say among them, but... well, some people might think it offensive. :lol:

I can't tell about Serbian "bre", unfortunately. I did hear that before, but I don't know which conclusion my friends came to, finally. However, Greek, too, has "βρε" - used just like "ρε" and generally considered less offensive. But I don't know if that's like what you have in Serbian. I'm sorry. :-/

tana
Posts: 38
Joined: 2007-03-25, 13:55
Real Name: tana
Gender: female
Location: Belgrade
Country: RS Serbia (Србија)

Postby tana » 2007-05-18, 1:02

That's it!Thanks :D

HaggenKennedy wrote: So when you say "τι κάνεις ρε" you're saying what would be in English, "yo, whaddup bitch!". Which male friends often say among them, but... well, some people might think it offensive. :lol:

:oopsy: I thought it's just "how are you" and I've never meant to offence you of course

By the way I found out about the Serbian BRE - it's Turkish and it means donkey -ineresting...I've used it like 1000 times without idea what does it actually mean.

By by the way Aberine asked for song translation so I've tried to translate it and it's before this ρε discussion...can you take a look at my attempt ...pleeeeeeeease :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

User avatar
ego
Posts: 4918
Joined: 2004-12-06, 15:19
Real Name: Thanasis
Gender: male
Location: SX
Country: GB United Kingdom (United Kingdom)

Postby ego » 2007-05-19, 9:37

I agree with Haggen in almost everything, although both μωρέ and ρε have lost their negative sense anymore. You can use it when addressing close friends, it's OK but in general women use it less than men. Βρε is less popular but much more harmless, you can use it any time when addressing close or not friends.
The way you used it for Haggen sounded a bit funny, made you sound like a boy :lol: . However everything depends on the way you pronounce it, if you smile or not, the mood of the conversation, if you shout loud or speak peacefully. Ρε can be an offence, a neuter exclamation or denoting affection. It all depends on the way you say it. In written speech there's no such possibility so you can use other ways to denote the way you wanna use it, like use diminutives, in jokes etc

tana
Posts: 38
Joined: 2007-03-25, 13:55
Real Name: tana
Gender: female
Location: Belgrade
Country: RS Serbia (Србија)

Postby tana » 2007-05-19, 11:24

:woohoo:

Εύχαριστώ Εγω....εύχαριστω Κεν...(hm...how to say thanks both of you-εύχαριστω και η δύο σας) να μου το εξηγήσετε!!!

User avatar
ego
Posts: 4918
Joined: 2004-12-06, 15:19
Real Name: Thanasis
Gender: male
Location: SX
Country: GB United Kingdom (United Kingdom)

Postby ego » 2007-05-20, 18:52

Ευχαριστώ και τους δυο σας. It's an object so you must use the accusative case

rowen77
Posts: 1
Joined: 2007-06-13, 2:05
Real Name: ronald mcdonald
Gender: female
Location: AU
Country: AU Australia (Australia)

Postby rowen77 » 2007-06-13, 2:12

hi, can I please have a translation of these (classical) greek words:

Ηδομαι

Η Ηδουη

Ναυμαχω

Ανικητος

Ο ποιητης

:wink: ,thanks

stacy19201325
Posts: 8
Joined: 2007-05-12, 3:11
Real Name: Stacy
Gender: female
Location: US
Country: US United States (United States)

Postby stacy19201325 » 2007-06-27, 4:09

I'd like to have someone correct my translation of Don't open the gift before your birthday!

Here's what I've got:
Μην άνοιγε το δώρο πριν τα γενέθλια σου!

Thanks in advance.

User avatar
HaggenKennedy
Posts: 267
Joined: 2006-05-15, 21:54
Real Name: Haggen Kennedy
Gender: male
Location: Salvador
Country: BR Brazil (Brasil)
Contact:

Postby HaggenKennedy » 2007-06-27, 10:55

rowen77 wrote:hi, can I please have a translation of these (classical) greek words:

Hi, Rowen. Welcome to the forum. : )

Here you go:

Ηδομαι: to enjoy, to be pleased with (used with the dative case)

Η Ηδουη: I don't know. Maybe you meant "ηδονή"?

Ναυμαχω: to fight a sea battle.

Ανικητος: I don't know. Etymologically, it seems to mean "not victorious" (that is, the one who loses in battle), but the ending for that is -ης (as in "νικητής" - not "νικητός").

Ο ποιητης: the poet.



stacy19201325 wrote:I'd like to have someone correct my translation of Don't open the gift before your birthday!

Here's what I've got:
Μην άνοιγε το δώρο πριν τα γενέθλια σου!

Thanks in advance.

I'd say it as "μην άνοιξε το δώρο πριν από τα γενέθλιά σου."

User avatar
ego
Posts: 4918
Joined: 2004-12-06, 15:19
Real Name: Thanasis
Gender: male
Location: SX
Country: GB United Kingdom (United Kingdom)

Postby ego » 2007-06-27, 12:07

Μην ανοίξεις το δώρο πριν τα γενέθλιά σου

Haggen μη takes subjunctive :dimwit: . It took imperative in ancient Greek but not anymore

stacy19201325
Posts: 8
Joined: 2007-05-12, 3:11
Real Name: Stacy
Gender: female
Location: US
Country: US United States (United States)

Postby stacy19201325 » 2007-06-27, 12:53

Why two accent marks on γενέθλιά?

User avatar
ego
Posts: 4918
Joined: 2004-12-06, 15:19
Real Name: Thanasis
Gender: male
Location: SX
Country: GB United Kingdom (United Kingdom)

Postby ego » 2007-06-27, 13:48

stacy19201325 wrote:Why two accent marks on γενέθλιά?


Because σου is added and it is pronounced as one word with γενέθλια. In this case a second accent is added because the rule says no word can be stressed before the antepenultimate

User avatar
HaggenKennedy
Posts: 267
Joined: 2006-05-15, 21:54
Real Name: Haggen Kennedy
Gender: male
Location: Salvador
Country: BR Brazil (Brasil)
Contact:

Postby HaggenKennedy » 2007-06-27, 14:20

ego wrote:Haggen μη takes subjunctive :dimwit: . It took imperative in ancient Greek but not anymore

LOL! It's true, I guess seeing stacy's version rubbed off on me. Sorry. :)


Return to “Greek (Ελληνικά)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest