Questions about Greek

Moderator:Dark_Horse

Timothy2000
Re: Questions about Greek

Postby Timothy2000 » 2012-01-22, 4:58

meidei wrote:We are using the word φιλμ since like, when they were imported in Greece. My grand-grand-dad used that word (he referred to photographic films though, but words can have multiple meanings).

"This word is not Greek" is the stupidier thing I heard. You could say "I don't like this word" and I assure you, I would respect it.

Please ignore this user, s/he is well-known for favouring non-Greek words and being hideously informal, amongst other things.

The destruction of language is what this user represents.

md0

Postby md0 » 2012-01-22, 6:40

lol.
now, whoz second account are you, sir?
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Michael

Postby Michael » 2012-01-22, 7:27

Ωχ, Παναγία μου… τι έγινε εδώ;
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

dimos

Postby dimos » 2012-01-23, 15:27

i agree that Mei is against the standard form of the language :)

Nooj

Postby Nooj » 2012-02-03, 3:33

What's the difference between καρδγιά and καρδιά, and why do some people spell it the former way?

Michael

Postby Michael » 2012-02-03, 5:12

I suppose the former word is meant to imitate the more palatal Greek accents.

EDIT: I just did a Google Search on this and found this:
http://www2.media.uoa.gr/language/grammar/details.php?id=16
5. Πιθανά λάθη:
(α) αδυναμία ορθής προφοράς με βάση τη γραφή (λ.χ. [matia], [elafia])
(β) αδυναμία ορθογράφησης με βάση το άκουσμα (λ.χ. <καρδγιά> , <φωτχιά> )
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1

md0

Postby md0 » 2012-02-03, 16:44

I am not against the standard, I am just accepting and promoting diversity.
---
Spellings like καρδγιά are influenced by the actual pronounciation. It can be either caused by ignorance of how the word usually spelled, or to emphasise an unusual pronounciation, as it was already mentioned.
Eg, we would spell it καρκιά in CyG, since we pronounce it /karca/ (between the rhotic and the semivowel, dentals are deleted. the semivowel is realized as a plosive in CyG).
Other similar spellings are a whole bunch of λ's to represent the northen, dark L as in τι με λες ρε μαλλλλάκα.
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

dimos

Postby dimos » 2012-02-06, 20:17

meidei wrote:I am not against the standard, I am just accepting and promoting diversity.
---
Spellings like καρδγιά are influenced by the actual pronounciation. It can be either caused by ignorance of how the word usually spelled, or to emphasise an unusual pronounciation, as it was already mentioned.
Eg, we would spell it καρκιά in CyG, since we pronounce it /karca/ (between the rhotic and the semivowel, dentals are deleted. the semivowel is realized as a plosive in CyG).
Other similar spellings are a whole bunch of λ's to represent the northen, dark L as in τι με λες ρε μαλλλλάκα.

Το είπα έχοντας υπόψη ένα παλιότερο σχόλιό σου σχετικά με τη χρήση ξένων όρων στην ελληνική, όπως το φίλμ, όπου απέρριψες την ανάγκη να χρησιμοποιούμε τους αντίστοιχους ελληνικούς όρους
Οσον αφορά την ορθογραφία των λέξεων από διαλέκτους δεν διαφωνώ, εννοείται πως θα γράφονται ανάλογα, ώστε να φανεί η διαφορά.

Michael

Postby Michael » 2012-02-19, 7:26

Έχω διαπιστώσει ότι μερικές φορές χρησιμοποιείται τη γενική μετά από την πρόθεση «σε» αντί για την αιτατική (στου / στης αντί στον / στην). Και μόλις παρατήρησα άλλη περίπτωση αυτής της χρήσης στον τίτλο του δημοτικού τραγουδιού «Κάτω στου βάλτου τα χωριά». Τι σημαίνει;

md0

Postby md0 » 2012-02-19, 7:47

It's a case of fronting the possessive. The underlying phrase is κάτω σε τα χωριά του βάλτου (down to the villages of the marsh).
with the reversing applied, you get κάτω σε του βάλτου τα χωριά, which surfaces as κάτω στου βάλτου τα χωριά.

you can see that reversing in popular phrases comme Της Ελλάδος τα παιδιά, στου κουφού την πόρτα, στης Λαρίσης το ποτάμι, ετσετερά ετσετερά.

md0

Postby md0 » 2012-02-19, 8:20

/hm... I don't know why I answered in English :-/ I haven't noticed which language was the question in, I suppose. Language borders become blurrer as time passes.)

Michael

Postby Michael » 2012-02-19, 8:27

meidei wrote:It's a case of fronting the possessive. The underlying phrase is κάτω σε τα χωριά του βάλτου (down to the villages of the marsh).
with the reversing applied, you get κάτω σε του βάλτου τα χωριά, which surfaces as κάτω στου βάλτου τα χωριά.
Εντάξει, το καταλαβαίνω καλύτερα τώρα. :)

meidei wrote:Της Ελλάδος τα παιδιά
Αυτή η έκφραση δεν βγάζει νόημα σε μένα :nope: (ίσως «η Έλλας των παιδιών»;)…

στου κουφού την πόρτα, στης Λαρίσης το ποτάμι, ετσετερά ετσετερά.
…μα αυτές ναι: στην πόρτα του κουφού, στο ποτάμι της Λαρίσης. :yep:

md0

Postby md0 » 2012-02-19, 8:31

της Ελλάδος τα παιδιά = τα παιδιά της Ελλάδας, οι Έλληνες ;-)

Michael

Postby Michael » 2012-02-20, 4:30

Ωχ, παρατήρησα και ο σύνδεσμος «και» χρησιμοποιείται ως γέμισμα (ό,τι λέμε filler στα αγγλικά). Να μου εξηγήσει κανείς όλες τις περιπτώσεις τούτης της χρήσης;

dimos

Postby dimos » 2012-02-21, 9:12

Michael wrote:Ωχ, παρατήρησα και ο σύνδεσμος «και» χρησιμοποιείται ως γέμισμα (ό,τι λέμε filler στα αγγλικά). Να μου εξηγήσει κανείς όλες τις περιπτώσεις τούτης της χρήσης;

Ως "filler" υποθέτω υπάρχουν πολλές λέξεις που μπορεί κανείς να χρησιμοποιήσει.

Ωστόσο εγώ θα σε συμβούλευα να ελέγξεις καλύτερα τη χρήση του "ό,τι". Διαπιστώνω (και από άλλες δημοσιεύσεις) πως το χρησιμοποιείς αδόκιμα.

dimos

Postby dimos » 2012-02-21, 9:19

meidei wrote:/hm... I don't know why I answered in English :-/ I haven't noticed which language was the question in, I suppose. Language borders become blurrer as time passes.)

Ε είναι που στην Κύπρο οι αποικιοκράτες σας δε λένε να φύγουν. Λογικό να έχετε τα αγγλικά "δεύτερη μητρική" γλώσσα. :) (αστειεύομαι)

bojan

Postby bojan » 2012-02-27, 11:10

What does κυρίως ειπείν means ? All of something or most of something ?

Shad

Postby Shad » 2012-03-28, 7:24

Does βαριέμαι mean to be lazy to do something or to be bored? :hmm:

Michael

Postby Michael » 2012-03-28, 7:44

Shadad wrote:Does βαριέμαι mean to be lazy to do something or to be bored? :hmm:
The latter. :wink:

bojan wrote:What does κυρίως ειπείν means ? All of something or most of something ?
I can't answer that unfortunately, but I can say that that sounds quite antiquated to me, that word! :lol:

dimos

Postby dimos » 2012-03-28, 11:50

κυρίως ειπείν = κυρίως
βαριέμαι = 1.to be bored 2.to be lazy (βαριέμαι να)

Return to “Greek (Ελληνικά)”