Hokkien Study Group [Split]

Moderator:OldBoring

księżycowy
Re: Hokkien Study Group

Postby księżycowy » 2022-02-01, 13:44

What I meant is that even the resources in English often assume knowledge of Mandarin Chinese.

Where as Latin is taught as a language in its own right, with no assumed knowledge.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-02-03, 0:25

That's just resources written in English, though. My understanding is that it has always been common, for example, for people to learn Classical Chinese in other countries in the Sinosphere, long before Mandarin Chinese even existed. Surely there are resources for learning Classical Chinese through Japanese, Vietnamese, etc. without assuming any prior knowledge of Mandarin Chinese.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2022-02-03, 4:56

vijayjohn wrote:That's just resources written in English, though. My understanding is that it has always been common, for example, for people to learn Classical Chinese in other countries in the Sinosphere, long before Mandarin Chinese even existed. Surely there are resources for learning Classical Chinese through Japanese, Vietnamese, etc. without assuming any prior knowledge of Mandarin Chinese.

你一定是在開玩笑吧?中文的 白話文運動 開始於西元1919年的五四運動,那時新加坡和越南應該都還沒建國吧?新加坡於1965年脫離馬來西亞獨立,越南於1954年脫離法國獨立。
我想,如果像Ks所說,光透過英文仍然無法直接學習文言文,那麽應該就只能透過白話文了吧。

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2022-02-03, 10:18

vijayjohn wrote:That's just resources written in English, though. My understanding is that it has always been common, for example, for people to learn Classical Chinese in other countries in the Sinosphere, long before Mandarin Chinese even existed. Surely there are resources for learning Classical Chinese through Japanese, Vietnamese, etc. without assuming any prior knowledge of Mandarin Chinese.

Be that as it may, none of us presently here in this thread are in that context except for Azhong.

I'm certainly not discounting that countries in East Asia do it differently. But you brought up the example of people who learned Latin (presumably in the US), so I was speaking to that.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-02-09, 3:08

Everything both of you said is true, but I think it's also missing the point!
azhong wrote:你一定是在開玩笑吧?中文的 白話文運動 開始於西元1919年的五四運動,那時新加坡和越南應該都還沒建國吧?新加坡於1965年脫離馬來西亞獨立,越南於1954年脫離法國獨立。
我想,如果像Ks所說,光透過英文仍然無法直接學習文言文,那麽應該就只能透過白話文了吧。

我一点也不在开玩笑, 学文言文跟建国有什么关系呀?古时候越南人、日本人、韩国人等等都是用文言文写文学作品的。
Be that as it may, none of us presently here in this thread are in that context except for Azhong.

Yes. I don't see why that matters here.

Before any of the languages in the Sinosphere developed scripts of their own, literature throughout the region was written in Classical Chinese. Even now, e.g. in Japan, people still write in Classical Chinese sometimes. This literature in Classical Chinese predates Old Mandarin by hundreds of years. Clearly, Japanese, Vietnamese, etc. authors writing in Classical Chinese at the time learned it without studying Mandarin Chinese. :hmm:

azhong

Postby azhong » 2022-02-09, 3:50

vijayjohn wrote:我一点也不在开玩笑,

It's unnatural to omit "是" in the sentence, possibly because there lacks a verb in your original sentence. "在开玩笑" didn't act as a verb in Chinese.

On the other hand, FYI,
"我不开玩笑。"
It's natural, but it often means "I don't joke" instead of "I'm not joking."

I don't joke at all: "我從來不开玩笑。"
(*"我一点也不开玩笑。" is unnatural.)

Back to your opinion. If there is any Asian country where ancient Chinese were once used write materials to teach the obsolete language with their new language, I guess it could only be Japan.

BTW, a question please: Which on-line dictionary are you using for learning Taiwanese? The spelling system you are using is different from the one Taiwan government promotes.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2022-02-09, 10:18

vijayjohn wrote:

Yes. I don't see why that matters here.

It matters because it started with talking about a specific person's interest in learning Classical Chinese in this thread. Most of what you've said is outside of that context, Vijay.

Looking at do_shahbaz's language profile, they might be able to utilize Japanese resources, but that might be beyond their level a bit, I'm not sure.

If we're talking generally about how people learn and utilize Classical Chinese over the world, what you've said is right on point. :)

Regardless, my suspicion at the moment is that do_shahbaz might have moved on to Shanghainese. So this conversation might be moot at this point. :P

azhong

Postby azhong » 2022-02-09, 10:57

księżycowy wrote:Be that as it may, none of us presently here in this thread are in that context except for Azhong.

Oops! Did you try to tell me in a very polite way that I've been off-topic, księżycowy? I apologized if I did. It's obviously me who initiated this topic.

You can tell me in a more frankly way next time and needn't worry about offending me. My English isn't good enough yet to understand phrasing too courteous if I don't repetitively read them. You can just say something like, "Azhong, please stop your relevant posts because they have already gotten off-topic in the thread." :D

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2022-02-09, 14:01

azhong wrote:Oops! Did you try to tell me in a very polite way that I've been off-topic, księżycowy? I apologized if I did. It's obviously me who initiated this topic.

No, no. I was saying that only you (among those currently active in this particular thread) are in a context that might allow you to learn Classical Chinese in a way that does not require knowing some Mandarin. I hope that's clearer for you. :)

azhong

Postby azhong » 2022-02-09, 15:02

:) Got it. Clear now, and thank you.
Context: the situation within which something exists or happens, and that can help explain it;

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-02-09, 15:31

księżycowy wrote:If we're talking generally about how people learn and utilize Classical Chinese over the world, what you've said is right on point. :)

I was.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2022-02-09, 15:50

I know you were.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-02-09, 15:53

azhong wrote:BTW, a question please: Which on-line dictionary are you using for learning Taiwanese? The spelling system you are using is different from the one Taiwan government promotes.

I don't think any of us are using a dictionary; we were using a book. :hmm: The spelling system we're using is Pe̍h-ōe-jī (白话字), as far as I know.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2022-02-09, 15:54

Yes, and most of the dictionaries I am familiar with use POJ as well.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-02-09, 16:01

azhong wrote:Back to your opinion. If there is any Asian country where ancient Chinese were once used write materials to teach the obsolete language with their new language, I guess it could only be Japan.

Well, Classical Chinese was used in a lot of countries besides just China and Japan, so people writing in them must have learned them somehow, just not necessarily through books in the modern sense. :hmm:

azhong

Postby azhong » 2022-02-10, 0:10

A question: in English the pronunciation is /p/ and /b/, but in the POJ system it seems to become /ph/ and /p/ respectively? And also other sets for example, /t/ and /d/ becomes /th/ and /t/.

Is it possible to give me some simple explanations about it? I heard IPA, and l learned Kenyon and Knott at school. What's the POJ spelling system related to?

And, is there such a pronuciation of /b/, /d/, /g/, etc in the system where POJ belongs to? Are these three pronunciations for linguistics: /ph/, /p/ and /b/ or are /p/ and /b/ just another symbol for the same pronunciation of /ph/ and /p/?

Thank you.

BTW, I've found an on-line POJ dictionary here and a ebook dictionary download here, the same religional organization where ks ordered his materials.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-02-10, 22:48

My understanding is that Hokkien has true voiced stops. English does not really have true voicing. Strictly speaking, what linguists transcribe as /b/ in English words is more comparable to /p/ in many other languages than to /b/ in those languages. /p/ in English is also often (though not always) aspirated.

The same is true of other stops in English as well.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2022-02-11, 5:57

Starting from Vijaya's response, I've learned something new for me form wiki:

/pʰ/: a voiceless and aspirated stop(stop=consonant sound), e.g. pin [pʰɪn]
/p/: a voiceless and unaspirated stop, e.g. spin [spɪn]
/b/: a voicing stop

Quoted from Aspirated consonant - 3.1 Allophonic:
Aspiration and voicing of stops in American English
pin with aspirated p,
spin with unaspirated p,
bin with partially voiced b,
nip with unaspirated p,
nib with partially voiced b:
[pʰɪˑn spɪˑn bɪˑn nɪp nɪˑb]

So, I guess in Taiwanese there is no /b/? I don't see it the stop used so far.

In the audio recording of 4.3 Armenian examples of the same wiki page, I can hardly distinguish [dur] from [tur].
Voicing and aspiration in Eastern Armenian stops and affricates
դուր, տուր, թուր
"chisel, give!, sword"
dur, tur, t’ur
[dur tur tʰur]

But I guess all of you have known these very well.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2022-02-12, 12:37

azhong wrote:/b/: a voicing stop

I'm not sure but I think the sound of 希望的望 has /b/ in Minnan.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2022-02-12, 12:47

OldBoring wrote:
azhong wrote:/b/: a voicing stop

I'm not sure but I think the sound of 希望的望 has /b/ in Minnan.

Okay, got it. Thank you, Oldboring. So, 牛 should be /gū/, with voicing stop /g/, I guess?
Do you know any Hokkien pronunciation with voicing /d/?

Return to “Chinese (中文)”