Shanghainese e-books?

Moderator:OldBoring

do_shahbaz
Shanghainese e-books?

Postby do_shahbaz » 2021-01-26, 8:17

Can anyone recommend e-books, preferably in English or Japanese, teaching Shanghainese? One that also, preferably, provides the Chinese characters, not just some romanisations. I have encountered this e-book here on the Net:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E8%AA%9E%E5%A ... 4384051867

unfortunately am yet to find a version of the book that is readily available to download.

If you're wondering why I choose to study Shanghainese (and not, say, Mandarin) I can say that it is the phonologically easiest Sinitic language to learn (at least for me), having only two distinctive tones to look out for.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Shanghainese e-books?

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-02-06, 21:49

Unfortunately, I don't think I'm aware of any books at all in English for teaching it or any e-books in either language. However, księżycowy may be able to help you find something similar with audio albeit written in Chinese.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2022-02-09, 10:36

I do indeed know of some Shanghainese textbooks in English, and even one in Japanese (and English), but none of them are e-books. At least not that I know of.

I will note that most (if not all) of the textbooks I know of assume at least some knowledge of Mandarin.

do_shahbaz

Postby do_shahbaz » 2022-02-09, 13:32

księżycowy wrote:I do indeed know of some Shanghainese textbooks in English, and even one in Japanese (and English), but none of them are e-books. At least not that I know of.

I will note that most (if not all) of the textbooks I know of assume at least some knowledge of Mandarin.

Is the Japanese book you are referring to the one link you which have been shared earlier in the thread, or another book whose existence I have been hitherto unaware of? If the latter, might enlightening us?

The only works on Shanghainese of didactic worth I have been aware of are Xu Zuliang's A Shanghai Dialect for Foreigners and a bunch of grammars and primers by nineteenth century Anglophone missionaries. The latter, no doubt, may not serve as accurate descriptions of contemporary Shanghainese (though they may be of value as long as historical linguistics is concerned).

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2022-02-09, 14:06

Here are the resources I know of in English (and Japanese):
-Shanghai Dialect for Foreigners by Ziliang Xu (there are two editions, a newer pocket edition, a slightly bigger "normal" version which is older)
-学说上海话 by 叶盼月 (Despite the Chinese title, the book does indeed contain both English and Mandarin explanations. It's one of the best of the bunch. If you're interested I can help you track down a copy, just PM me.)
-Shanghai Dialect: An Introduction to Speaking the Contemporary Language by Lance Eccles (Another good course, but assumes knowledge of Mandarin. Very slim on grammar. It basically is a series of dialogues and vocabulary with the occasional note about usage, pronunciation, grammar, etc.)
-Shanghai Common Expressions (2e) by Wu Ying
-Chinese-English-Japanese: A Shanghai Dialect Course (No audio that I know of.)

do_shahbaz

Postby do_shahbaz » 2022-02-09, 14:30

@księżycowy is your profile configured to accept PMs? I have sent you one, which, for some reason, remains lingering on in the Outbox.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-02-09, 15:30

PMs stay in the outbox until the recipients have read them.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2022-02-09, 15:53

I read it. For the most part I bought the books either on Amazon or through Purple Culture. I'm sorry to say I can't help much beyond that.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-02-09, 16:02

I wonder whether there are videos for learning Shanghainese as well.

do_shahbaz

Postby do_shahbaz » 2022-02-10, 22:09

księżycowy wrote:I read it.

All of them?
Last edited by do_shahbaz on 2022-02-11, 1:28, edited 1 time in total.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2022-02-10, 22:43

Your PM. I read your PM.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-02-10, 22:44

Beat me to it by one minute :P

Return to “Chinese (中文)”