Help identifying Chinese variant/language/"dialect"?

Moderator:OldBoring

do_shahbaz
Help identifying Chinese variant/language/"dialect"?

Postby do_shahbaz » 2020-08-29, 14:32

Can anyone identify the Sinitic variety in which these recordings are spoken? Some of them are clips of songs, while some may be broadcasts of news. They cannot be in Mandarin, given the presence of codas -p, -m, glottal, etc. I am aiming my guess on Hokkien or Cantonese, but might as well be a non-sinitic language such as Vietnamese. Any thoughts?

do_shahbaz

Re: Help identifying Chinese variant/language/"dialect"?

Postby do_shahbaz » 2020-08-29, 15:16

Trying to attach the sound files onto the post didn't go out as well as I expected, so I'm forced to upload these files (all mp3 in format) into Drive. They may be accessed here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Sorry for the extra hustle required to access the files. I'll upload these files into an audio-hosting site for convenience's sake soon -- do recommend any such sites if you know one.

douyacai

Postby douyacai » 2020-09-07, 3:24

do_shahbaz wrote:Can anyone identify the Sinitic variety in which these recordings are spoken? Some of them are clips of songs, while some may be broadcasts of news. They cannot be in Mandarin, given the presence of codas -p, -m, glottal, etc. I am aiming my guess on Hokkien or Cantonese, but might as well be a non-sinitic language such as Vietnamese. Any thoughts?

I downloaded the first audio file, and listened to it on my earphone. The music is definitely Chinese, but I can't understand a single word of the lerics.

Can't be mandarin. Neither Cantonese. The best chance is it is indeed Hokkien.

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2020-10-05, 20:55

Nothing Chinese here at all. These are all Vietnamese samples, I guess from the radio. The pieces of music too are Vietnamese music. "Language.mp3" is a folk song, sung I guess in the Huế dialect. "Lg6.mp3" is a Buddhist piece of music sung in the Southern dialect. The spoken pieces are domestic news, also in the Southern dialect.
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2020-10-06, 8:07

LOL

Return to “Chinese (中文)”