China Eastern airlines

Moderator:OldBoring

Woods
China Eastern airlines

Postby Woods » 2020-01-23, 13:31

I watched a video about Chinese aircraft and it showed a picture of China Eastern airlines' logo, for which I noticed that the traditional script is used. I was nicely surprised and I think there were actually other airlines' logos where the Traditional was used too. And also I was further surprised because they explained these are national, not private companies.

How common is the usage of the Traditional still in Mainland China? Any chance of it coming back to life?

I personally think it's so much more beautiful and meaningful than the simplified - which I associate with a dictatorial regime aiming to cripple Chinese culture.

linguoboy

Re: China Eastern airlines

Postby linguoboy » 2020-01-23, 15:24

Woods wrote:How common is the usage of the Traditional still in Mainland China? Any chance of it coming back to life?

When I was there in 2007, I saw frequent use of it in logos and such, but I never saw it used in longer texts and the bookstores I went into only stocked books in Simplified.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2020-01-23, 15:27

Woods wrote:How common is the usage of the Traditional still in Mainland China? Any chance of it coming back to life?

You see it here and there. I remember seeing bank names written using traditional characters, presumably because they are conservative institutions trying to engender trust in their longevity. The travel magazine in my hotel room was entirely in traditional characters, but I presume that is because the hotel receives a lot of guests from Taiwan and Hong Kong.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-01-30, 15:52

Wikipedia says, with no citations:
Although simplified characters are endorsed by the government of China and taught in schools, there is no prohibition against using traditional characters. Traditional characters are used informally, primarily in handwriting, but also for inscriptions and religious text.[citation needed] They are often retained in logos or graphics to evoke yesteryear. Nonetheless, the vast majority of media and communications in China use simplified characters.

Return to “Chinese (中文)”