台灣話 / Taiwanese Hokkien - 辭典和歌詞 / dictionary recommendations and song lyrics

Moderator:OldBoring

Woods
台灣話 / Taiwanese Hokkien - 辭典和歌詞 / dictionary recommendations and song lyrics

Postby Woods » 2019-11-10, 6:45

Is there a decent online dictionary where I can check the meaning and pronunciation of Taiwanese words?

Also, I really like that song and I would like to find the lyrics, but as you can imagine it's a little bit comlicated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXSKtLvK-Vw

The following site lists the lyrics, but they are written with Hàn characters, so I cannot make out the pronunciation:

http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/chthonic/takasagoarmy.html#3

There's also an English version where the chorus is also written with Latin letters, but it doesn't have the original verses - as in that version they are sung in English.

Could someone write down the lyrics of that song in church romanisation, or even better, bopomofo - showing the Taiwanese pronunciation?

What kind of advice would you have for reading and understanding Taiwanese songs or texts? If they are written with Hàn characters, is there a resource I can use to find the pronunciation? Also the words, I don't think they always make sense - I was trying to translate some Taiwanese song titles using a Chinese dictionary and I was getting a whole word once out of ten times, in the other cases I was just getting a vague idea what the song might be about. So it seems they use the same characters, but the combinations are different from the ones used in Mandarin, so it's difficult to get the meaning. But if there's no standard for this language, how is it to be studied?

azhong

Re: 台灣話 / Taiwanese Hokkien - 辭典和歌詞 / dictionary recommendations and song lyrics

Postby azhong » 2019-12-10, 2:59

(deleted)
Last edited by azhong on 2019-12-15, 2:20, edited 1 time in total.

Woods

Re: 台灣話 / Taiwanese Hokkien - 辭典和歌詞 / dictionary recommendations and song lyrics

Postby Woods » 2019-12-10, 12:40

Hi Zhong, nice to meet you!

If you can record an audio of the lyrics pronounced slowly and clearly, that would also be very nice! Well, reading it definitely helps to make out the sounds and to remember, but if it's written with Hànzì, there's no way of knowing how what is written should be pronounced.

Which writing system do you think should best be used for Taiwanese - Romanisation, Bopomofo or Hànzì? I guess most people think Hànzì, since this is how most of the Taiwanese texts I've seen have been written. But then again - it's hard to find both the pronunciation and the meaning, since the combinations of characters that are used do not correspond to Mandarin words, and are thus cannot be found in dictionaries such as https://www.moedict.tw/ (or so I think at least - I haven't uncovered all of the functions of this website since it's all in Chinese and I don't understand it) or Pleco.

I don't know about your listening comprehension, but your English writing seems pretty fine :) If you need any help, let us know!

I still have Skype on my phone for the time being, so if you can send me your Skype name through a private message I will add you. Nowadays I mostly use Telegram :)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-12-15, 7:42

I don't know whether this helps you now, but I found a version of the lyrics in Pe̍h-ōe-jī here: https://greatsong.net/PAROLES-CHTHONIC, ... 01570.html.

Woods

Postby Woods » 2020-01-07, 20:16

vijayjohn wrote:I don't know whether this helps you now, but I found a version of the lyrics in Pe̍h-ōe-jī here: https://greatsong.net/PAROLES-CHTHONIC, ... 01570.html.

Thanks for finding it! My Google search didn't go so well. What did you type - "Chthonic Takao pe̍h-ōe-jī?"

Azhong deleted his post, I don't know why.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-01-07, 21:53

Woods wrote:Thanks for finding it! My Google search didn't go so well. What did you type - "Chthonic Takao pe̍h-ōe-jī?"

No, that won't get you anywhere. I just copy-pasted the first line in POJ from the link you sent: Toā-káng khí hong-íng.
Azhong deleted his post, I don't know why.

Didn't he post his Skype user name and such? That's pretty personal information to leave up in a public part of the forum.

Woods

Postby Woods » 2020-01-13, 14:50

vijayjohn wrote:
Woods wrote:What did you type - "Chthonic Takao pe̍h-ōe-jī?"

No, that won't get you anywhere. I just copy-pasted the first line in POJ from the link you sent: Toā-káng khí hong-íng.

Smart!

vijayjohn wrote:Didn't he post his Skype user name and such? That's pretty personal information to leave up in a public part of the forum.

Well, I guess - but he deleted the whole post.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-01-30, 15:51

Woods wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:
Woods wrote:What did you type - "Chthonic Takao pe̍h-ōe-jī?"

Smart!

Really late, but thanks! :lol:

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2022-01-31, 16:50

vijayjohn wrote:I don't know whether this helps you now, but I found a version of the lyrics in Pe̍h-ōe-jī here: https://greatsong.net/PAROLES-CHTHONIC, ... 01570.html.

This link is now offline

Is Takao here 高雄?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-01-31, 20:45

OldBoring wrote:This link is now offline

Are you sure? It still works for me.
Is Takao here 高雄?

Yes.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2022-02-01, 9:04

The Wikipedia link works, but not this one: https://greatsong.net/PAROLES-CHTHONIC, ... 01570.html

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-02-03, 0:22

OldBoring wrote:The Wikipedia link works, but not this one: https://greatsong.net/PAROLES-CHTHONIC, ... 01570.html

Yes, I know that's what you meant. I'm telling you it does work, both on my Desktop computer and on my phone, using both Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome.

Return to “Chinese (中文)”