Spoken Mandarin with non-Mandarin tones?

Moderator:OldBoring

atalarikt
Spoken Mandarin with non-Mandarin tones?

Postby atalarikt » 2018-03-28, 2:38

Is it common for speakers of other Chinese variants (e.g. Min, Wu) to speak Mandarin while using non-Mandarin tones? I've once read that Taiwanese people who speak Mandarin with Hokkien tones are called "sweet potato style", which is derived from the fact that many mainland Chinese used to sail to Taiwan to trade sweet potatoes.
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

azhong

Re: Spoken Mandarin with non-Mandarin tones?

Postby azhong » 2018-04-04, 5:07

我不知道。你說的「地瓜腔」倒是個有趣的歷史。可能是真的。

基本上應該是吧,地域限制隨著時間會導致語音的細微變化,不是嗎?不過我不是研究語言的專家。

即使是臺灣,宜蘭也有宜蘭腔。即使是在小小的彰化縣,也有鹿港腔。

我有回答你的疑惑嗎?

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-04-04, 9:05

azhong wrote:我不知道。你說的「地瓜腔」倒是個有趣的歷史。可能是真的。

我有回答你的疑惑嗎?

Sorry, I don't speak Chinese. (对不起,我不会说中文。)
Could you answer in English?
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2018-04-24, 16:51

atalarikt wrote:
azhong wrote:我不知道。你說的「地瓜腔」倒是個有趣的歷史。可能是真的。

我有回答你的疑惑嗎?

Sorry, I don't speak Chinese. (对不起,我不会说中文。)
Could you answer in English?

I don't know. But the "sweet potato accent" you referred to has an interesting story. It's probably true.
I think it's mostly like that, geographical limits lead to slight changes in the phonetics, doesn't it? But I'm not a linguistic expert.
Even within Taiwan, Yilan has Yilan accent. Even in the very small Changhua County there's a Lukang (town) accent.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2018-04-24, 16:54

atalarikt wrote:Is it common for speakers of other Chinese variants (e.g. Min, Wu) to speak Mandarin while using non-Mandarin tones? I've once read that Taiwanese people who speak Mandarin with Hokkien tones are called "sweet potato style", which is derived from the fact that many mainland Chinese used to sail to Taiwan to trade sweet potatoes.

People who didn't learn Mandarin when young like people my grandparents' generation, yes.
Some people in very rural areas, yes.
But it's very rare for young and educated people nowadays.
Tones sound different by influence of the different dialects, for example the first tone is higher in Beijing, and generally lower in Wu dialects.
Some Wu speakers can't distinguish 2nd and 3rd tone. Some Cantonese speakers can't distinguish 1st and 4th tone.
But mostly we follow the tones, even if pronounced differently.

Return to “Chinese (中文)”