Questions about Chinese / 关于中文的问题 / 關於中文的問題

Moderator: OldBoring

linguoboy

Re: Questions about Chinese / 关于中文的问题 / 關於中文的問題

Postby linguoboy » 2019-09-25, 16:03

Yasna wrote:This could be completely wrong, but maybe 扎 (za1) is being pushed towards zha1 by 夹 (jia1), which has a pretty similar meaning (to clamp) and is used in phrases related to hair styling.

I think a more likely source of influence is the general tendency of speakers in half of China to confuse the alveolar and retroflex series. I've heard a fair amount of hypercorrection (e.g. 從 pronounced chóng) over the years.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Saim

Postby Saim » 2019-11-15, 18:52

In the animated series 择天记 they constantly refer to the place they're in for most of the plot as 神都, and this is translated as "the capital" in the English subtitles. According to all the dictionaries I've consulted, 神 means God, whereas capital would be 首都. Is this some sort of play on words or am I missing something here?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-11-15, 19:15

神都 ("divine metropolis") was a name used for the capital city of Luoyang during the reign of Empress Wu. I take it that's when the action is set?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Saim

Postby Saim » 2019-11-15, 19:25

linguoboy wrote:神都 ("divine metropolis") was a name used for the capital city of Luoyang during the reign of Empress Wu. I take it that's when the action is set?

It’s set in a fictional world with magic and demons, but given a lot of the references to Taoism and issues surrounding different members of the royal family I wouldn’t be surprised for there to be references to real history. I just wasn’t sure whether this is a real word or „just” a placename. Thanks!

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2019-11-16, 1:35

Saim wrote:In the animated series 择天记 they constantly refer to the place they're in for most of the plot as 神都, and this is translated as "the capital" in the English subtitles. According to all the dictionaries I've consulted, 神 means God, whereas capital would be 首都. Is this some sort of play on words or am I missing something here?

That strikes me as a typical fantasy/mythical place name, in the same vein as 魔都.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Return to “Chinese (中文)”