Discussion Group

Moderator: OldBoring

proycon
Server Administrator

Discussion Group

Postby proycon » 2003-05-30, 9:47

你好!

Hereby we now also have a Mandarin Chinese discussion group! I think there are enough members interested in this oriental language to justify the creating of a Discussion Group for it in our virtual school of languages!

Let`s try to use both Hanzi and Pinyin in this group, so we can all learn words we don`t know.
Language is the dress of thought -- Samuel Johnson
my homepage

Ho_Yin

Postby Ho_Yin » 2003-06-04, 12:44

大家好!
我等了好久了!终于有一个地方让我们尽情的讨论关于华语的事情.
我在香港出生.我懂得华文和广东话。
虽然我已经学了八年的华语,但是我对华文的认识始终不够深。希望经过一些时间, 我们会进一步地了解华文!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Greetings all!
I've been waiting for a very long time! Finally, there's a place where we can discuss Mandarin Chinese.
I was born in Hong Kong. I understand Chinese and Cantonese.
Although I have already been learning Chinese for eight years, my understanding of the language is still not good enough. I hope that after some time, we will understand the Chinese language more!

proycon
Server Administrator

Postby proycon » 2003-06-05, 18:25

Great! Thanks for posting :))

I was wondering, are there many differences between Mandarin and Cantonese in writing?
my homepage

JunMing (cant login)

none :p

Postby JunMing (cant login) » 2003-06-09, 12:58

我们若写拼音就较麻烦,而没意思。。。

women ruo xie pinyin jiu jiao mafan, er mei yisi...

If we write pinyin, this will be troublesome, and not interesting...

Postby Guest » 2003-06-10, 22:13

Well, I think since Cantonese is said to be much older than Mandarin Chinese because it retains the old final -p, -t, -k, etc. plus it has many words that cannot be written, in other words, that are strictly oral words which is unlike Mandarin Chinese. But the Cantonese still uses the traditional Chinese script while the simplified script is now widespread in Mandarin Chinese.

勺园之鬼

简体字

Postby 勺园之鬼 » 2003-06-11, 2:46

People in Guangdong all use mainly simplified characters now... Except for some purposes, such as calligraphy... This is like this all around China now...

除了一些情况意外,连广东人现在都用简体字...全国到处都是这样...
四海为家

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2003-06-13, 16:27

Any tutor here or...?

How are you guys learning Mandarin?
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

proycon
Server Administrator

Postby proycon » 2003-06-14, 12:46

No, no real tutor unfortunately, I hope JunMing, Sputnik and Lyle can help out...
my homepage

Ho_Yin

Postby Ho_Yin » 2003-06-19, 12:14

Hey...where's me...sniff :)
I learn Chinese in school, it's part of the curriculum here in Singapore.
Of course, it all depends on your background. If you're Chinese you learn Chinese, Indian you'll learn either Tamil or Hindi, Malay you'll learn Malay, and most often Chinese if you're Eurasian.
There are some extra characters used in colloquial Cantonese writing which don't appear in standard Chinese writing. You'll often find those characters being used often in posters and ads all over Hong Kong.
Hong Kong's a great place; I was born there. Singapore's great too. *sigh* What a lot of places ;)

stifven

Postby stifven » 2003-06-20, 11:43

你好 Ho Yin!

You also study Bahasa Melayu in Singapore even if you're Chinese, am I right? But Malays and Indians can't speak Chinese there..... kinda peculiar.. hehe

你们新加坡和马来西亚的华裔说得很多语言。这里在菲律宾,我们华裔除了英语和菲语以外,只会说闽南话和普通话。

I think you can teach us some Cantonese Ho yin while no Mandarin tutors are available yet.. hou mat?? LOL :lol: do ze
你就教我们广东话吧!

LYLE: When are you coming back to Malaysia? in 2months?
四海之内皆兄弟也。。。

Ho_Yin

Postby Ho_Yin » 2003-06-20, 12:20

No, quite unfortunately ;) You get to learn only one second language. Second language, referring to Chinese, Malay, or Tamil. The first language, quite obviously, is English.
However, depending on your results, you get to choose a third language when you turn thirteen. The languages you can choose from are French, German, Japanese, and Malay. Malay is for the Non-Malays, and if you're Malay, you get to take Higher Malay. Non-Chinese are not allowed to take Japanese, because Japanese [supposedly] requires a previous knowledge of Chinese. Well, we all in Unilang know it's not all that necessary, right? :)
Teaching Cantonese? Oh no, I'm not up to this, I can't. I don't have a microphone at home and I don't know how to transliterate Cantonese.
Great to know this thread is getting a pretty good response!

Saaropean

Postby Saaropean » 2003-06-20, 16:04

我在大学学习汉语, 可是不认识多词(和字)...
Wŏ zài dàxué xuéxí Hànyŭ, kĕshì bú rènshi duō cí (hé zì)...
me at university [big-study] learn Chinese [Han language], but not know many word (and character)...
I study Chinese at my university. but I don't know many words (and characters)...

But I could try to answer some questions beginners might have. So:

你们有问题吗?
Nĭmen yŏu wèntí ma?
you-plural have question [ask-topic], huh?
Do you have any questions?

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2003-06-29, 3:05

Does anyone happen to know about any websites that might explain the tonal sandhi rules for 一 [yī]? I mean, in which environments does it change its tone? I'm awared of basic sandhi (such as the first of two third tones shifting to second tone), but it's hard to find anything good about the more "specific" changes (such as that of 一 itself). :(

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above was my original question, but some time after writing it, I got to find an old message from a Yahoo! group where someone once told me the following about it:

If yi is followed by a 4th tone sound, it has to become 2nd tone, i.e. yí tàng. If yi is followed by a 3rd tone sound, then it has to become 4th tone, i.e. yì qĭ (together), yì bĕn shū (one book). In another two cases, it remains 1st tone.

Is the above all about it? I mean, does that cover all the situations?

By the way, as usual, I'm using a breve (ă ĕ ĭ ŏ ŭ) instead of a caron (ǎ ě ǐ ǒ ǔ) for the 3rd tone, since I just can't get the latter to be displayed correctly using IE. :(

I miss some <font face="xxx"> tags... :(

Test: ǎ ě ǐ ǒ ǔ
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2003-07-16, 21:56

老师是谁?

我想学习汉语 :)
Last edited by Luís on 2003-07-18, 14:54, edited 2 times in total.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2003-07-16, 22:02

Saaropean wrote:me at university [big-study] learn Chinese [Han language], but not know many word (and character)...

Well, since 我 means both "I" and "me" (or ich/mich/mir), I don't see why the translation would have to be "me" in this case. It just makes it look more primitive or something than if you had used "I". After all "me" is just a particular case of "I", and definitely not to be used as a subject (unless you're NulNuk, of course :wink: )

Saaropean

Postby Saaropean » 2003-07-17, 7:54

Luís wrote:
Saaropean wrote:me at university [big-study] learn Chinese [Han language], but not know many word (and character)...

Well, since 我 means both "I" and "me" (or ich/mich/mir), I don't see why the translation would have to be "me" in this case. It just makes it look more primitive or something than if you had used "I". After all "me" is just a particular case of "I", and definitely not to be used as a subject (unless you're NulNuk, of course :wink: )

But isn't "me" the emphasized 1st person singular (also used in subjective/nominative case)?
Who said that? Me. / I did. / It was me (who said that).
In French, you would use "moi" instead of "je" in this case.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2003-07-17, 9:58

Yes. But your English translation below was "I study Chinese at my university", which means English doesn't use "me" for "I" on this case. Just because of that I was wondering why you had used "me" on the literal translation, when you could have used "I"... ("I at university learn" vs "Me at university learn")

勺园之鬼

Tutors

Postby 勺园之鬼 » 2003-07-18, 15:53

proycon wrote:No, no real tutor unfortunately, I hope JunMing, Sputnik and Lyle can help out...

In answer to this quote, I remind you all that I am still a student in chinese and that my level is not anything exceptional yet (I hope it will be so one day though :wink: ). So I can only answer to basic questions, but don't expect my help for advanced linguistics questions - I wouldn't drive any of you into something wrong.

Sputnik, Lyle, Haoran (Hoyin), Stifven, they have a more advanced level :) Sputnik especially helped me a lot with my chinese so far so I know how advanced he is... I'll try to get some chinese people interested in Unilang too, asap...
四海为家

Gong Sun Hao Ran

No, no, not at all

Postby Gong Sun Hao Ran » 2003-07-20, 10:36

Sputnik, Lyle, Haoran (Hoyin), Stifven, they have a more advanced level

No no, don't even...*points to the part where he is mentioned* I don't really profess to being an advanced learner of Chinese. I would definitely want to help out, but only in more or less basic questions. I'm only 13, and I don't have too good a memory for Chinese vocabulary :)
I know you have a better knowledge of Chinese than me, JunMing :P
Native: [flag=]en-GB[/flag][flag=]en-sg[/flag][flag=]yue.Hant[/flag] || Fluent: [flag=]zh.Hans[/flag] || Working on: [flag=]de[/flag][flag=]cy[/flag][flag=]es[/flag]
omnia in amore perficiantur
Dyfal donc a dyr y garreg!

CC

me

Postby CC » 2003-07-20, 23:07

Luis,

You are right. ME & I are the same in Chinese. In term of grammar, the chinese life is easier !! :lol:

Saaropean,

Sorry that I found it 's a bit tricky. It 's probably your intention to emphasize but the original chinese sentence didn't show at all. You shld "repeat" "I" once again such as " I myself " at uni.......... ( sry dunno how to type chinese script here ) 8)

cc

Return to “Chinese (中文)”