The Political Compass (again)

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
TheStrayCat
Language Forum Moderator

Re: The Political Compass (again)

Postby TheStrayCat » 2018-01-18, 18:40

January 2018:

Economic Left/Right: -2.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.77

הענט

Postby הענט » 2018-02-25, 19:42

Feb 18

Economic Left/Right: -3.0
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.54

Quite a change.

Previously:
Economic Left/Right -1.38
Social Lib/Auth -1.64

Saim

Postby Saim » 2018-02-26, 1:27

הענט wrote:Feb 18

Quite a change.

Previously:
Social Lib/Auth -1.64

Soom you'll be a dirty pinko like the rest of us. :D

הענט

Postby הענט » 2018-02-26, 8:36

Saim wrote:
הענט wrote:Feb 18

Quite a change.

Previously:
Social Lib/Auth -1.64

Soom you'll be a dirty pinko like the rest of us. :D

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. :) I spend way too much of my leisure time here. Haha

Vlürch

Postby Vlürch » 2018-04-03, 11:55

So, I finally did it again after at least a couple of years, and... eh. Apparently I'm literally Gandhi? :oops:

Economic Left/Right: -6.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.97

...but one thing to note is that I feel like some of the questions are pretty much impossible to answer realistically, and as such I answered them optimistically.

For example, I'd like to think gay couples could be in a stable enough relationship to adopt kids and that pedophiles wouldn't abuse the system by pretending to be gay couples so that they can get children, but I don't believe there is such a thing as a stable, loving relationship between any two people and I know pedophiles go to insane lengths to access children. So, even though I answered "agree" to that question, realistically I'd have put "disagree".

I also "agreed" with "military action that defies international law is sometimes justified" because if it was something like assassinations of dictators or terrorist leaders, etc. that would further the common good, especially if it's to stop a genocide or something. However, I know that realistically such operations are not carried out for the improvement of the human rights of the average people, so if I hadn't answered it optimistically I'd have put "strongly disagree".

One thing I answered "strongly disagree" to is "our race has many superior qualities, compared with other races" because I don't believe that race should even be a thing. There are different ethnicities, but the concept of race is pointless and incorrectly lumps and divides groups of people in ways that can only be ultimately harmful. So, even though I do believe that genetics explain some cultural differences or inclinations, those are secondary and easily overridden by other aspects of an individual's identity.

Even if genetic differences account for some overarching cultural ties between "races" like all black ethnicities with one another, all white ethnicities with one another, etc. in my opinion having a racial identity, especially as a defining characteristic, is ridiculous; national, cultural and above all individual identities are much more important.

Objectively, of course, a "spacefaring race" has many superior qualities to a "hunter-gatherer race", but I don't think that makes the latter any worse; they could even be more "civilised" if they have a higher collective respect for individual freedoms and whatnot, but that has nothing to do with skin colour, genetics, etc. so it's not "race" in the sense that the question implies.

I did "strongly disagree" with "there are no savage and civilised peoples; there are only different cultures", though. I don't like the terms because they're implied to be mutually exclusive, but it is a fact that not all cultures are equally advanced in terms of technology, respect for human rights and personal freedoms, etc. Like, Saudi Arabia and North Korea for example are "civilised" in terms of technological advancement but still actively oppress women, all minorities, etc.

All the other questions were pretty straightforward, I guess. I was half-expecting it to label me literally Hitler since that's what everyone always considers me to be, but it seems like I'm not a Nazi after all. :P

MarkusP

Postby MarkusP » 2018-04-05, 22:42

Many of the questions are biased but not I'm not sure if there is anyone not annoyed by them.

Economic Left/Right: -6.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.0

an approximate of what I had 10 months ago
Economic Left/Right: -8.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.5
Native: (sv) Swedish
Partly Native: Värmlandic
Learning: Old Swedish
and Proto-Germanic

md0

Postby md0 » 2018-04-06, 4:14

Yeah, and also the problem with all those quizzes is that they don't adjust for your previous answers.
1. Should the state be abolished?
-> Yes
2. Should the state recognise same-sex marriage?
-> Erm.... Yes in the meantime, but No there's no need since it was abolished one question ago?
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Cypriot Greek (el-cy) | ○Standard Modern Greek of Greece (el)Assorted Englishes (en) | ↓France French (fr) | ⊖Police Procedural J-Drama Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr) | ↑German Standard German (de)

MarkusP

Postby MarkusP » 2018-04-09, 11:17

md0 wrote:Yeah, and also the problem with all those quizzes is that they don't adjust for your previous answers.
-> Yes
-> Erm.... Yes in the meantime, but No there's no need since it was abolished one question ago?

It's not reasonable waiting for some imagined society before changing laws. I'm still content with where the site put me
and Proto-Germanic

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-04-09, 13:54

MarkusP wrote:
md0 wrote:Yeah, and also the problem with all those quizzes is that they don't adjust for your previous answers.
-> Yes

It's not reasonable waiting for some imagined society before changing laws.

:hmm:

md0

Postby md0 » 2018-04-09, 16:31

MarkusP wrote:
-> Yes

It's not reasonable waiting for some imagined society before changing laws. I'm still content with where the site put me

That's not my point.
My point is that those quizzes do not adapt for your answers when you answer in a particular way at an earlier question that will render consequent questions moot.

If you want a different example:
1. Should executions be abolished?
- Yes
5. Should executions be public?
- 無
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Cypriot Greek (el-cy) | ○Standard Modern Greek of Greece (el)Assorted Englishes (en) | ↓France French (fr) | ⊖Police Procedural J-Drama Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr) | ↑German Standard German (de)

MarkusP

Postby MarkusP » 2018-04-09, 22:30

md0 wrote:
MarkusP wrote:
-> Yes

That's not my point.
My point is that those quizzes do not adapt for your answers when you answer in a particular way at an earlier question that will render consequent questions moot.

If you want a different example:
1. Should executions be abolished?
- Yes
5. Should executions be public?
- 無

I don't agree, they can still be asked separately
and Proto-Germanic

Lur

Postby Lur » 2018-06-22, 9:12

I'm going to guess I'm still stuck in the bottom left corner.

Return to “Politics and Religion”