Elections in the USA

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
md0
Re: Elections in the USA

Postby md0 » 2020-11-09, 16:37

And what's the reason the run-off elections are so far apart?
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-11-09, 17:35

TheStrayCat wrote:In most states, each party nominates one candidate chosen through a primary election, and the one who gets the most votes in the general election (not necessarily more than 50%) wins. In some states, however, the election system is more similar to that of European countries - first multiple candidates run together and if no one gets 50%, the first two proceed to the run-off. Georgia is one of these states; there are also Louisiana, California and possibly some others (not sure).

The term of art for this arrangement seems to be "nonpartisan blanket primary", but "jungle primary" is the term you'll see used most often by the media.

Incidentally, the prognosis isn't good for Democrats in those runoff elections. They're notoriously worse than Republicans in achieving good turnout in anything but general elections. Democratic voters showed up in historic numbers to vote against Trump last Tuesday and still failed to elect those Senators outright. I'm already bracing for the loss of the Senate.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-11-09, 17:52

This was my first time voting and I don't care what happens with these people. My politics are basically anarcho-capitalistic so there wasn't anybody out of the 12 who looked interesting to me. I just did it because I could as I know the Senate decides quite a bit anyway, which I have no control over

I understand the system. I just don't like it, so fuck everybody I guess :hmm: :)
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-11-09, 19:08

Gormur wrote:I understand the system. I just don't like it, so fuck everybody I guess :hmm: :)

Thanks for sharing?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-11-09, 20:37

linguoboy wrote:
Gormur wrote:I understand the system. I just don't like it, so fuck everybody I guess :hmm: :)

Thanks for sharing?
EVM = Every voice matters :hmm: :lol:
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-11-09, 21:19

This was actually the first time I failed to vote, and honestly, I think I've lost my enthusiasm for American presidential elections now. What even is the point anymore? Either Chump was going to win and be happy(?), or he was going to lose and make a fuss over it. Either way, he is supported by large numbers of people in the US and abroad and even by some of my own relatives. He and his supporters can, and I believe almost certainly will, still make the situation a lot worse.

The real victor in the US at this point is neither Chump nor Biden but bigotry. It won by a landslide long before the elections even started. I guess We're Number One after all. We're Number One at contracting and spreading COVID-19. The situation in the US is already extremely dangerous no matter which way you slice it, and it's bound to only get worse.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2020-11-10, 1:19

linguoboy wrote:
TheStrayCat wrote:In most states, each party nominates one candidate chosen through a primary election, and the one who gets the most votes in the general election (not necessarily more than 50%) wins. In some states, however, the election system is more similar to that of European countries - first multiple candidates run together and if no one gets 50%, the first two proceed to the run-off. Georgia is one of these states; there are also Louisiana, California and possibly some others (not sure).

The term of art for this arrangement seems to be "nonpartisan blanket primary", but "jungle primary" is the term you'll see used most often by the media.

To add to that, a common term in California for the system is "top-two primary". That was the name used in the ballot initiative that set up the format here.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-12-14, 3:42

Apparently, people have now declared they are willing to die to overturn the election results.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-12-14, 20:06

vijayjohn wrote:Apparently, people have now declared they are willing to die to overturn the election results.

I'm willing to help them achieve their ambition.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-12-27, 11:12

I thought Chump might finally be done with disputing the election results, but I guess not.

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-12-27, 20:44

I realized a long time ago that I disliked America and its political environment. I don't see anything new now that I didn't see when Reagan was in office (okay, I was born in 1983 but I remember Ronald Reagan speaking on TV as he was still the president back then). All the people after that seemed shitty as well. It was almost like there was no reason to have a president. I did vote this year for the first time, but maybe out of dissolution. The reason why I voted wasn't because of a political party but for solidarity; I'm not a Republican or a Democrat

I admit, my thinking is different from politicians as I'm more of an anarcho-capitalist or even an anarcho-primitivist. This country doesn't give people like us a voice though so it's all pretty pointless. I'm thinking of moving next year. I don't have any ties to this country anyway and I'm glad because it's a violent country with an ugly history. I'm sure the natives had an interesting history before outsiders came and ruined it. I guess that's all I have to say for now. :hmm:

Return to “Politics and Religion”