Is alphabet a matter of politics and religion?

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
Shark of Capitalism
Is alphabet a matter of politics and religion?

Postby Shark of Capitalism » 2020-02-10, 8:18

Some linguists and Laura Miller/FB wiki/ among them claim that it is a matter of politics and religion but not linguistics (maybe they claim it only concerning Russian alphabet prohibition but nevertheless).

OK. Let's assume.

So it would be funny to see how commies would write English in cyrillic just because Lenin wrote in itLOL
(There were the famous soviet verses "If I were an aged African American, I would learn Russian just because Lenin spoke it!")

Also Turkic arabic script have been being used for a thousand years is a good opposite example!!! Yes, It might be said that it is because of political and religious reasons BUT local Turkic languages have not been written in it in fact(with some marginal examples) but common literary Turkic superlanguage(means it was considered above local ones, a sort of a literary lingua-franco) called 'Turki'(Ottoman Turkish is the nearest example). This superlanguage has Turkic grammar but 80% Perso-Arabic lexis! By the way percentage of Arabic lexis in local languages is circa 20*, so it is not so huge but quite big, and it is not a sort of scholastic lexis(as soviet "turkists" claimed) but entirely every-day one, like "Hello, how do you do?" and so on. Sure, scientific terms are mostly Arabic too so somewhere Ukrainian Crimean Tatar dictionary becomes Latin Arabic one))))) Talking about soviet Turkic cyrillics(it was exactly at 100% because of Russian political reasons, and number of cyrillics instead of a common alphabet -- too), they were useful only for Russian(because communication with every other language was prohibited too, so the word "integral" and so on should be considered as "Russian"(and many Russians think so!)) loanwords. And all of those "loanwords" looks quite ugly in latin because they were not exactly loanwords but just Russian words (as in some Arabic countries Arabic could be mixed with French...)!

---
*Most of Turks are Muslims, so I mean them first of all. Non-Muslim Turkic peoples might have less percentage of Arabic lexis but e.g. Urums(Christian Crimean Tatars) say "Allah's Mother" and so on despite they use definitely more Greek words than Muslim Crimean Tatars!
Last edited by Shark of Capitalism on 2020-02-10, 18:40, edited 3 times in total.
Vive le capitalisme!
Vive la mondialisation!

Shark of Capitalism

Re: Is alphabet a matter of politics and religion?

Postby Shark of Capitalism » 2020-02-10, 11:46

If alphabet is a matter of politics and religion and true scientists are beyond politics and religion, how could they use alphabet which is a matter of politics and religion??!
Vive le capitalisme!
Vive la mondialisation!

Saim

Postby Saim » 2020-02-10, 12:10

Shark of Capitalism wrote:If alphabet is a matter of politics and religion and true scientists are beyond politics and religion, how could they use alphabet which is a matter of politics and religion??!

If false premise, how come non sequitur?

Shark of Capitalism

Postby Shark of Capitalism » 2020-02-10, 18:20

Saim wrote:
Shark of Capitalism wrote:If alphabet is a matter of politics and religion and true scientists are beyond politics and religion, how could they use alphabet which is a matter of politics and religion??!

If false premise, how come non sequitur?

A
- https://forum.unilang.org/viewtopic.php ... 0#p1142734
Saim wrote:I don’t think alphabets are particularly important to linguists or discussed all that much in linguistic research. I guess they’re somewhar relevant to sociolinguistics and language policy, sure.

- You said not in this words, but Laura Miller said exactly in this words: alphabet is a matter of politics and religion but not linguistics!
B
- I heard many times that true scientists are beyond politics, espesially Russian ones: you can yourself ask here: http://lingvoforum.net
- https://forum.unilang.org/viewtopic.php ... 3#p1141878
Gormur wrote:Hm. Apparently, i fail to understand this subject. I mean what's wrong with Tatarstan? I think Russia is doing well right now. This seems like a political debate :hmm:
a political debate :hmm: -- you see: a true scientist is beyond politics! (to say that Russia is doing well right now is not politics, but to say opposite is politics -- don't be confused!)
- Laura Miller said that "religion is not relevant"
- Stephen Hawking and many other without doubts true scientists are aggressively antireligious, they say that religion suppressed science so they definitely have nothing in common with religion except they hate it.

So if alphabet is a matter of politics and religion and true scientists are beyond politics and religion, how could they use alphabet which is a matter of politics and religion??!

PS

Saim is my friend, but truth is a better friend
Vive le capitalisme!
Vive la mondialisation!

Synalepha

Postby Synalepha » 2020-02-10, 18:24

Are politics and religion a matter of alphabet?

Shark of Capitalism

Postby Shark of Capitalism » 2020-02-10, 18:27

Synalepha wrote:Are politics and religion a matter of alphabet?

Anybody understands, what is she saying?
Vive le capitalisme!
Vive la mondialisation!

Synalepha

Postby Synalepha » 2020-02-10, 18:35

Shark of Capitalism wrote:
Synalepha wrote:Are politics and religion a matter of alphabet?

Anybody understands, what is she saying?

Anybody saying, what she understands? Btw is latin good for alphabet linguists?

Shark of Capitalism

Postby Shark of Capitalism » 2020-02-11, 8:02

I think Synalepha is a bot.
Vive le capitalisme!
Vive la mondialisation!

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-02-11, 16:03

Shark of Capitalism wrote:I think Synalepha is a bot.

Then you need to improve your bot-detection skills.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Shark of Capitalism

Postby Shark of Capitalism » 2020-02-11, 16:32

linguoboy wrote:

Then you need to improve your bot-detection skills.

You may think so.
Vive le capitalisme!
Vive la mondialisation!

Synalepha

Postby Synalepha » 2020-02-11, 17:17

No, but srsly tho, are alphabets a matter of politics and religion and are they useful for linguists and could they be the answer to life, the universe and everything?

md0

Postby md0 » 2020-02-11, 17:30

"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Return to “Politics and Religion”