Random Politics 2

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Random Politics 2

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-01-02, 0:36

Saim wrote:Can’t anyone make a Polandball? I didn’t think there was any “canon” series with a single author.

Probably. There are at least two Polandball Twitter accounts, but both comics seem to be on both. I have no idea who drew either one of them or whether they were both made by the same person.

Synalepha

Postby Synalepha » 2020-01-02, 0:43

Nazis seem to have this deep fear of being cucked by brown or black people and Sweden is seen as the archetypal national version of this fear because of how they're (supposedly) handling (black and brown) immigrants.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2020-01-04, 1:24

The assassination of Qasem Soleimani has got to be the stupidest geopolitical move I have seen since the invasion of Iraq.

"Wow - the price of killing and injuring Americans has just gone up drastically." - Lindsey Graham

Yeah, and apparently the price of killing a top Iranian general is that 3,500 additional US troops need to be immediately sent into harm's way in the Middle East, at the taxpayer's cost, to face Iran's lethal retaliation. Fucking warmongering dimwit.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-01-04, 21:02

Meanwhile, apparently, the current situation in India is so bad that a fellow Indian I know online says the government has let out the army to suppress the protests and the cops are burning buses on the streets of New Delhi.
Synalepha wrote:Nazis seem to have this deep fear of being cucked by brown or black people

This fear would be cute if it wasn't so dangerous. How narcissistic do people have to be to think we're that interested in their race anyway? Alternatively, how powerful do they think we are?

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2020-01-23, 1:38

I'm ignoring US news media for the duration of the impeachment trial. I understand why it is dominating the headlines, but to me it's a giant waste of time to follow a political spectacle with an entirely foregone conclusion.

Sarabi

Postby Sarabi » 2020-01-23, 2:57

Yasna wrote:I'm ignoring US news media for the duration of the impeachment trial. I understand why it is dominating the headlines, but to me it's a giant waste of time to follow a political spectacle with an entirely foregone conclusion.

T'as raison, mais ça me met tellement en colère que je souhaite vraiment pouvoir changer au moins le résultat de l'élection... je voudrais faire ce que je pourrai. *soupir*
English; français (B1); español (A2/B1, 3 años y trofeo Duo); română (un an + Duo Nivel 13); italiano (principiante; Duo Livello 19); norsk (A2/B1, Duolingo Nivå 24); kinesisk 中文 (beginner, Duo Lvl 十七)

Official Dabbling History: 1.5 semestre nihongo; 2 semestre Kiswahili; 3 lingvistikk klasser

Duome.eu stats (if link stops working, endret jeg brukernavn)

md0

Postby md0 » 2020-01-27, 6:46

Fun times ahead as the Cyprus conflict gets heated again :?
https://cyprus-mail.com/2020/01/19/287705/

This is what you get when negotiations are suspended for more than two years already.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-01-29, 21:45

This goes here. I just registered to vote for the first time. Now i wonder how i find out about candidates running and such in November. Like obviously i can watch CSPAN - that's actually all i will watch with regards to politics. I like neutrality quite a bit. :)

Though i want more information on Green party or Anarchist party and like. That'd be nice if anyone could guide me in the right direction. Just send me links or what not. If it's on TV even better

- Gormur
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

Sarabi

Postby Sarabi » 2020-01-29, 22:16

Jeg tror ikke på nøytralitet. Det er en mirage, etter min mening. Selvfølgelig det kan være relativ nøytralitet. På grunn av det, vi har Media Bias Fact Check.
English; français (B1); español (A2/B1, 3 años y trofeo Duo); română (un an + Duo Nivel 13); italiano (principiante; Duo Livello 19); norsk (A2/B1, Duolingo Nivå 24); kinesisk 中文 (beginner, Duo Lvl 十七)

Official Dabbling History: 1.5 semestre nihongo; 2 semestre Kiswahili; 3 lingvistikk klasser

Duome.eu stats (if link stops working, endret jeg brukernavn)

TheStrayCat
Language Forum Moderator

Postby TheStrayCat » 2020-01-30, 3:21

Gormur wrote:This goes here. I just registered to vote for the first time. Now i wonder how i find out about candidates running and such in November. Like obviously i can watch CSPAN - that's actually all i will watch with regards to politics. I like neutrality quite a bit. :)

Though i want more information on Green party or Anarchist party and like. That'd be nice if anyone could guide me in the right direction. Just send me links or what not. If it's on TV even better

- Gormur

https://www.ontheissues.org/default.htm

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2020-02-10, 20:00

"Parmi les objets nouveaux qui, pendant mon séjour aux États-Unis, ont attiré mon attention, aucun n’a plus vivement frappé mes regards que l’égalité des conditions."- Tocqueville, 1848

How the times have changed.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-02-10, 20:21

Yasna wrote:"Parmi les objets nouveaux qui, pendant mon séjour aux États-Unis, ont attiré mon attention, aucun n’a plus vivement frappé mes regards que l’égalité des conditions."- Tocqueville, 1848

For sure. No more slavery, for starters.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2020-02-10, 22:30

linguoboy wrote:For sure. No more slavery, for starters.

Are you implying that the relative equality among Euro-Americans at the time was dependent on slavery?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-02-10, 22:36

Yasna wrote:
linguoboy wrote:For sure. No more slavery, for starters.

Are you implying that the relative equality among Euro-Americans at the time was dependent on slavery?

I'm outright saying that de Tocqueville had some massive blind spots that render his observations a bit suspect in this area.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Synalepha

Postby Synalepha » 2020-02-11, 7:27

Yasna wrote:"Parmi les objets nouveaux qui, pendant mon séjour aux États-Unis, ont attiré mon attention, aucun n’a plus vivement frappé mes regards que l’égalité des conditions."- Tocqueville, 1848

How does he define "l'égalité des conditions"?

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2020-02-12, 20:01

linguoboy wrote:I'm outright saying that de Tocqueville had some massive blind spots that render his observations a bit suspect in this area.

The data backs him up. Economic historians Peter Lindert and Jeffrey Williamson found that the share of national income going to the top one percent was less than 10 percent at the time.*

Synalepha wrote:How does he define "l'égalité des conditions"?

I don't think he does, but it's obvious that he's comparing the US to aristocratic Europe. Here's the rest of the paragraph:

"Parmi les objets nouveaux qui, pendant mon séjour aux États-Unis, ont attiré mon attention, aucun n’a plus vivement frappé mes regards que l’égalité des conditions. Je découvris sans peine l’influence prodigieuse qu’exerce ce premier fait sur la marche de la société ; il donne à l’esprit public une certaine direction, un certain tour aux lois ; aux gouvernants des maximes nouvelles, et des habitudes particulières aux gouvernés."

*Unequal Gains: American Growth and Inequality since 1700

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-02-12, 21:45

Yasna wrote:
linguoboy wrote:I'm outright saying that de Tocqueville had some massive blind spots that render his observations a bit suspect in this area.

The data backs him up. Economic historians Peter Lindert and Jeffrey Williamson found that the share of national income going to the top one percent was less than 10 percent at the time.*

What was the percentage going to the 15% of the population who were being held in chains?

Any amount at all, however small, is infinitely more than nothing.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2020-02-12, 22:21

linguoboy wrote:What was the percentage going to the 15% of the population who were being held in chains?

When you take into account the slaves, yes, the inequality of 1848 American society was horrific, as in all slave societies. But I think it's still interesting to consider the low inequality among Euro-Americans in 1848, as Tocqueville did.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-02-12, 23:49

Yasna wrote:
linguoboy wrote:What was the percentage going to the 15% of the population who were being held in chains?

When you take into account the slaves, yes, the inequality of 1848 American society was horrific, as in all slave societies. But I think it's still interesting to consider the low inequality among Euro-Americans in 1848, as Tocqueville did.

I'm not sure what it tells us, though, given how completely different the economy of the USA was at that time (e.g., still 50% agrarian and only about 20% services).

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2020-02-18, 17:59

It's funny how distorted of an impression social media gives you about the Democratic primaries. Top Facebook comments on posts by even mainstream media like the NYT are generally by full-throated supporters of Bernie or Warren, to the point of viewing Bloomberg as beyond the pale and not even a "true" Democrat. Yet if you sum up the poll numbers for the major candidates in terms of far left or moderate, the far left candidates are at about 40%, and the moderates at about 48%. Bernie would be screwed if the two wings of the party consolidated around Bernie and a moderate candidate respectively. It's probably not going to happen soon enough to stop Bernie though.

Return to “Politics and Religion”