Random Politics 2

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Re: Random Politics 2

Postby Aurinĭa » 2019-11-19, 20:59

And in others they actively encourage people to visit (thinking of a tiny Orthodox church somewhere in the Czech Republic, I don't even remember where, that someone said we should go to and someone else happily invited us in). Quite a few churches I've been in also have some space, either a side chapel of simply some benches or rows of chairs, specifically for quiet contemplation or praying.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-11-19, 22:05

I don't know much about this topic, I suppose; I get the impression that a lot of people today don't understand how important the Holocaust is, which I do find pretty alarming. I don't think it's a good idea to take selfies at a Holocaust memorial without knowing what it's about.

md0

Postby md0 » 2019-11-19, 23:37

A lot of people definitely don't understand that, but I think that someone is already quoted in the article saying that the monument doesn't resonate with current generations.

I've been to that monument (and I didn't take any selfies) but I also didn't feel like the monument spoke to me in any way -- and I'm someone who considers himself quite aware of the horrors of the Third Reich. Within walking distance from that monument there's a Jewish cemetery and outside there's a statue that had much more emotional impact to me. I think that even a clueless tourist would at least suspect that this is not just any public art installation.

I guess my position is that this is just a symptom of a problem, and not a problem by itself.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-11-20, 16:36

It's strange to me that a lot of Americans these days apparently don't know about the Holocaust. When I went to school, it seemed like our teachers would never shut up about the Shoah (even though they never used or introduced us to that word), yet they'd never talk about anything else, not even Gentile victims of the Holocaust. They'd bring it up every few years as if there had never been any other massive humanitarian crime in the history of the world. I must have read some version of The Diary of Anne Frank several times. In elementary school, the only literature there was that was set outside the US was often fictionalized Holocaust survivor biographies.

It's even stranger to me that a lot of Americans these days apparently don't know about 9/11, but honestly, most of the ones who do remember it infuriate me. They seem to make it all about themselves, not even about the people who actually died in it. They fail to acknowledge the horrific war crimes committed by their own government and that if we didn't meddle in the Middle East so goddamn much, it probably wouldn't have happened in the first place.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2019-12-12, 21:31

A year from now the US will probably be in the midst of its worst constitutional crisis since the civil war. The democratic nominee will have beaten Trump in the 2020 election, but Trump and the Trump media will be claiming massive voter fraud and threatening to not respect the election results.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Synalepha

Postby Synalepha » 2019-12-13, 8:17

I kind of feel the need to set my political record straight. I had many crappy ideas and positions on this forum throughout the years. I regret expressing them. I now define myself as some sort of not clearly defined anarchist, the left wing pacifist kind, not the anarcho-capitalism kind (this is what happens when you read almost the entire work of Ursula K. Le Guin /s), but to be honest, right now, I'd rather read a Hebrew or Indonesian reference grammar or a syntax textbook rather than Proudhon, Kropotkin or Malatesta. Maybe one day I'll read them in Hebrew or Indonesian.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2019-12-13, 9:28

So, I guess Brexit will finally happen now
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-12-13, 11:11

:shocked:

Saim

Postby Saim » 2019-12-13, 11:34

Synalepha wrote:I kind of feel the need to set my political record straight. I had many crappy ideas and positions on this forum throughout the years. I regret expressing them. I now define myself as some sort of not clearly defined anarchist

One of us! One of us!

I'd rather read a Hebrew or Indonesian reference grammar or a syntax textbook rather than Proudhon, Kropotkin or Malatesta. Maybe one day I'll read them in Hebrew or Indonesian.

I feel you on that one. Last year I read Malatesta's L'anarchia and it was kind of interesting but not much of it was new to me, and a couple of years ago I tried reading Bakunin's Appeal to the Slavs in the Polish translation and it was equal parts boring and outright objectionable. I'm been getting a lot more into fiction over the past year.

Synalepha

Postby Synalepha » 2019-12-13, 12:02

Saim wrote:
Synalepha wrote:I kind of feel the need to set my political record straight. I had many crappy ideas and positions on this forum throughout the years. I regret expressing them. I now define myself as some sort of not clearly defined anarchist

One of us! One of us!

I'd rather read a Hebrew or Indonesian reference grammar or a syntax textbook rather than Proudhon, Kropotkin or Malatesta. Maybe one day I'll read them in Hebrew or Indonesian.

I feel you on that one. Last year I read Malatesta's L'anarchia and it was kind of interesting but not much of it was new to me, and a couple of years ago I tried reading Bakunin's Appeal to the Slavs in the Polish translation and it was equal parts boring and outright objectionable. I'm been getting a lot more into fiction over the past year.

I don't think I even feel guilty for my lack of interest in political theory at this point. I'm sure there's plenty of anarchist theoreticians in this world. I'll just help with interlinguistic communication if the revolution comes when I'm still alive. :lol:

I'm been getting a lot more into fiction

Fiction is not to be underestimated, of course I was joking when I said that U. K. Le Guin made me an anarchist but she definitely helped me a lot, and not just because of The Dispossessed; nearly all of her literary production is disseminated with anti-hierarchic motives.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2019-12-13, 12:44

Synalepha wrote:Fiction is not to be underestimated, of course I was joking when I said that U. K. Le Guin made me an anarchist but she definitely helped me a lot, and not just because of The Dispossessed; nearly all of her literary production is disseminated with anti-hierarchical motifs.

Sounds interesting, I might check out her work.

By the way, and I hope you don't mind the correction, they're called motifs in English, with stress on the second syllable. Unless you actually mean motive (as in intention, reasing for acting), but I presume you mean motifs as in recurring themes or elements. It's always fun when languages borrow the same word twice and give them different meanings. :lol: [EDIT: Also now that I'm focusing on what you wrote I'd also say that "littered with" would be more idiomatic than "disseminated with"].

Synalepha

Postby Synalepha » 2019-12-13, 13:10

Thanks! I always appreciate corrections! :)

It's always fun when languages borrow the same word twice and give them different meanings

Yeah :lol:

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2019-12-13, 16:38

I'm dismayed by the British electorate handing Boris a landslide victory but encouraged by them giving Corbyn such a thrashing.

h34

Postby h34 » 2019-12-13, 20:30

Yasna wrote:I'm dismayed by the British electorate handing Boris a landslide victory but encouraged by them giving Corbyn such a thrashing.

It's just the first-past-the-post system that makes Johnson's victory seem so impressing, isn't it? The Tories have been voted for by a minority (43.6%). And Labour's 32.2% would be a dream result for the German Social Democrats these days ...

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-12-14, 4:09

Yasna wrote:The democratic nominee will have beaten Trump in the 2020 election

Idk my understanding is that Americans of pretty much every political persuasion are predicting exactly the opposite.

I thought of making this a separate thread, but I doubt it will warrant enough discussion to deserve a separate thread:

Suppose one country X leaves some of its soldiers within the territory of another country Y. Does this automatically mean that X is occupying Y?

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2019-12-18, 6:13

h34 wrote:It's just the first-past-the-post system that makes Johnson's victory seem so impressing, isn't it? The Tories have been voted for by a minority (43.6%). And Labour's 32.2% would be a dream result for the German Social Democrats these days ...

If the UK had the German electoral system and Labour was the SPD things would be different, yes...

In the actual historical context of the actual UK election, it was a thrashing.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-01-01, 21:59

Does anybody understand what this Polandball strip is about? I feel like I'm missing something because I don't really get it. :? Is it referring to something specific that happened or just joking about the concept of getting consent from all states within the European Union? (Honestly, I'm probably overthinking it).

Synalepha

Postby Synalepha » 2020-01-01, 22:33

vijayjohn wrote:Does anybody understand what this Polandball strip is about? I feel like I'm missing something because I don't really get it. :? Is it referring to something specific that happened or just joking about the concept of getting consent from all states within the European Union? (Honestly, I'm probably overthinking it).

The gist is: The EU is a bureaucratic monster machine that can't get anything done (it's a widespread idea). Plus a bunch of national stereotypes in the end:

Italy - corrupt
Spain - lazy
Sweden - cuck
Austria - Freud (for some reason)
Greece - desperate and poor
Germany and France - the only ones that are really in charge

Honestly it seems made by a 15-year-old 4chan denizen.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-01-02, 0:11

Oh OK, thanks! :)
Synalepha wrote:Plus a bunch of national stereotypes in the end:

Italy - corrupt
Spain - lazy
Sweden - cuck
Austria - Freud (for some reason)
Greece - desperate and poor
Germany and France - the only ones that are really in charge

I got most of these except that I thought Sweden was just supposed to be some kinky pinko liberal or something (maybe that's the same thing?) and it took me forever to guess wtf was going on with Austria. Kinda weird that they're trying to portray Germany and France as the ones in charge given that they also seem to agree with Poland...

EDIT: Also what is up with the pink shading below Swedenball's eyes?
Honestly it seems made by a 15-year-old 4chan denizen.

Oh, good, then I don't feel bad about being confused. :lol: The whole Polandball series seems to have been getting really weird lately. One of their latest cartoons seems to be saying they think India will take over all of South Asia this year. :?

Saim

Postby Saim » 2020-01-02, 0:24

Can’t anyone make a Polandball? I didn’t think there was any “canon” series with a single author.

The pink shading is an anime-style “cute” effect. A big part of the “internet Western nationalist” (whether full-on nazis or conservatives in the process of radicalising) worldview is that Sweden is a feminist dystopia that is destroying the masculinity of white men (while “letting in” the “third world hordes”) or something. So of course a Polish eurosceptic would portray Sweden as an effeminate man who wants to be sexually degraded.

Return to “Politics and Religion”