Random Politics 2

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
Osias
Re: Random Politics 2

Postby Osias » 2020-11-26, 20:14

:shock: :shock: :shock: ²
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-11-27, 1:17

Now what's so surprising? The fact that he wanted more Azeris there? IIUC country-specific servers are mostly intended as a meeting place for people from said country, but there are (or were) so many foreigners in the Azerbaijan server that it risked being dominated by foreigners. Even most of the Azeris were from Iran, although this didn't bother the server admin as much because there are more Azeris in Iran than Azerbaijan anyway. Most of the people who were actually from and/or in Azerbaijan were not native speakers of Azeri; he himself IIUC lived in Azerbaijan and was ethnically Azeri and fluent in Azeri, but his native language was Russian rather than Azeri, and he also had near-native fluency in English (and I think very likely grew up largely in either the US or Canada). Also, he might have said something about Internet access in Azerbaijan being spotty at best, though I don't remember this clearly.

Or is it the large number of languages? As he told me, Azeris speak a lot of languages.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2020-11-27, 19:26

Everything. Everything is pretty much the opposite of the Brazilian reality. One language, the warm welcome for foreign people, the willing to explain every detail of our internal politics, internal jokes and memes, and to make this world listen to us.

Yes I know other cultures are different. Yet, seeing it happen with you, of all people...
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-11-28, 1:15

For whatever it's worth, most Americans in my experience do not accept me, either. The emphasis in my heritage culture on education and general (nerdiness/nerdery and) intellectualism is antithetical to mainstream American culture. That is why I have so few real-life friends.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2020-11-28, 2:24

The server owner wanted more Azeris there and told the person who invited me in to stop bringing in so many foreigners.
I think that's the part that shocked me most. I told this to my wife and she was also shocked. You think this is something Americans would also do? Complain about you being invited in front of you?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-11-28, 3:56

Osias wrote:
The server owner wanted more Azeris there and told the person who invited me in to stop bringing in so many foreigners.
I think that's the part that shocked me most. I told this to my wife and she was also shocked. You think this is something Americans would also do? Complain about you being invited in front of you?

There is an entire TV show in the US where this is exactly what happens most of the time. Sometimes, other people criticize the person complaining. Sometimes, they say nothing. Sometimes, they actually support the person complaining. This is an example I just saw less than an hour ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN4TiVwVmhw&t=47s

Osias

Postby Osias » 2020-11-28, 13:19

Everybody keeps telling me this kind of show is staged or something.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-11-28, 16:00

Well, yeah, it is (this is why it says "actor" underneath the characters' names), but these situations do happen in real life in the US, too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkgefC99l-M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VkBJ7pG3_Q.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INy4gaUrCL4
Last edited by vijayjohn on 2020-12-09, 18:05, edited 2 times in total.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-11-28, 16:13

Osias wrote:Everybody keeps telling me this kind of show is staged or something.

Moreover, they are deeply unethical in how they go about it: https://adequateman.deadspin.com/i-was-catfished-by-abcs-what-would-you-do-1773915855
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Osias

Postby Osias » 2020-11-28, 20:16

I should've not read this entire text because I'm imagining things I can't post on the internet happening to those producers and struggling to deal with the hate I'm feeling right now.

I haven't seen the entire youtube video also. Notice I'm not talking now about things typical of Brazil, but about a personal hatred I have against that kind of TV show.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2020-11-28, 20:17

vijayjohn wrote:Well, yeah, it is (this is why it says "actor" underneath the characters' names),

I mean the supposed bystanders also being actors. Or at least knowling participating, being paid and having a script to follow.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2020-12-13, 20:35

Jealous of the quality of UK politicians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwH45WlpDoo
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-12-14, 2:24

How does colonization not underlie British history?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-12-14, 20:16

Yasna wrote:Jealous of the quality of UK politicians.

Wikipedia wrote:Badenoch supported Brexit in the 2016 UK EU membership referendum. She voted for then Prime Minister Theresa May's Brexit withdrawal agreement in early 2019. In the indicative votes on 27 March, she voted against a referendum on a withdrawal agreement and against a customs union with the EU. In October, Badenoch voted for Johnson's withdrawal agreement.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2020-12-15, 0:57

linguoboy wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:Badenoch supported Brexit in the 2016 UK EU membership referendum. She voted for then Prime Minister Theresa May's Brexit withdrawal agreement in early 2019. In the indicative votes on 27 March, she voted against a referendum on a withdrawal agreement and against a customs union with the EU. In October, Badenoch voted for Johnson's withdrawal agreement.

She and her constituency lean conservative, and placed a higher premium on sovereignty than perhaps you or I would. So what?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-12-15, 1:11

Yasna wrote:She and her constituency lean conservative, and placed a higher premium on sovereignty than perhaps you or I would. So what?

All I can say is that I hope that, come January 1st, they all enjoy their "sovereignty" to the fullest extent possible.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-12-27, 9:43

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2020-12-30, 21:54

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2021-01-07, 5:51

Nice to see the American left rediscovering the importance of the rule of law. Better late than never.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-01-07, 15:32

Nice to see America keep getting fucked like I've long known it would and to have proof that I no longer have to keep living there.

Return to “Politics and Religion”