Random Politics 2

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
md0

Re: Random Politics 2

Postby md0 » 2019-05-14, 3:56

but not because I find the parties so convincing.

Same. I have a candidate in mind who I hope is elected, and I have a European Parliament grouping that I wouldn't mind seeing get an extra seat or two. But I am not at all convinced by the local party on whose list the candidate is, and I really don't want to vote for them.

vijayjohn wrote:That sounds kind of like how Americans hear a lot more about the federal election than about the more local ones that actually matter more.

This but in reverse? :hmm:
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Cypriot Greek (el-cy) | ○Standard Modern Greek of Greece (el)Assorted Englishes (en) | ↓France French (fr) | ⊖Police Procedural J-Drama Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr) | ↑German Standard German (de)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-05-14, 4:14

md0 wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:That sounds kind of like how Americans hear a lot more about the federal election than about the more local ones that actually matter more.

This but in reverse? :hmm:

You hear more about the more local elections than about the European ones that matter more?

md0

Postby md0 » 2019-05-14, 4:20

Yes. I think that's true for most if not all EU countries too. Maybe Germany and France take them seriously, but most countries don't.

In Cyprus, European Parliament elections have the lowest voter turnout of all island-wide elections, and they are treated as proxy local elections with less constraints and party loyalty (the main topic in this campaign season has been whether the Republic of Cyprus still exists - we are truly back to the basics).
Cypriot Greek (el-cy) | ○Standard Modern Greek of Greece (el)Assorted Englishes (en) | ↓France French (fr) | ⊖Police Procedural J-Drama Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr) | ↑German Standard German (de)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-05-14, 4:29

md0 wrote:Yes. I think that's true for most if not all EU countries too.

Oh, OK. Here, i.e. in Texas, they seem to deliberately withhold information about what's going on at the local level (so left-wingers won't know).

md0

Postby md0 » 2019-05-14, 4:35

Also, I think it's not easy to say that this or that election matters more, because the competences are often shared between member states and the EU executive.

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2019-05-14, 6:20

As md0 said, we certainly don't hear more about the EU elections. I think it's partially because I've always been interested in the EU and I prefer the way the European Parliament works (no set majority, who sides with whom differs depending on the topic); and partially because the party I'm considering voting for for the European elections has some ideas that I really disagree with on the Flemish and federal levels.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2019-05-14, 12:52

md0 wrote:Yes. I think that's true for most if not all EU countries too. Maybe Germany and France take them seriously, but most countries don't.

Not really:
https://www.bpb.de/nachschlagen/zahlen- ... -1979-2014
https://www.bpb.de/dialog/europawahlblo ... ropawahlen

That's the turnout in the European Parliament elections. Just to give you some idea: the last communal elections here in NRW had a turnout of ~50% and that's an all-time low.

If you look at the elections in the different federal states, the turnout is even higher, not to mention the federal elections.
Please correct my mistakes!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-05-17, 6:02

Ugh, are we really about to go to war in Iran, too? People seem to be afraid that we are, but please say no.

Return to “Politics and Religion”