The United States voted against a UN ban on the death penalty, for gays.

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
xBlackHeartx
The United States voted against a UN ban on the death penalty, for gays.

Postby xBlackHeartx » 2017-10-04, 1:38

That's right, this utterly bullshit country I had the severe misfortune to be born in, just voted against a UN resolution that would've banned the death penalty for cases of 'homosexuality, adultery, and blasphemy'.

Tolerance is dead in this country. This utterly bullshit culture is literally reverting back to what it was in the 50s, where only white, heterosexual, christian men were NOT discriminated against.

The resolution apparently passed anyway. But that's beside the point. The US literally just voted against a law that would've made it illegal to execute people for homosexuality, questioning local religion, and being sexually assaulted (which is why the resolution bans the death penalty for adultery apparently). Heather Nauert (who is a 'state department spokesperson') claims that they voted it against it, because they believed that it would result in the death penalty being outlawed for any crime. Uh, it already is you fucking idiot. That's right, the UN classifies the death penalty as a violation of human rights. Its far from the only human rights violation this country is responsible for.

And everyone seems to think I'm insane for wanting out. I don't want to be a part of this worthless country anymore. I want to live somewhere, and pay taxes to, a nation with a government that actually gives a rats ass about its own citizens.

And yes, I know there is an LGBQ thread already. But honestly, I think this is more about the US than anything else. This is just disgusting behavior.

http://www.snopes.com/2017/10/03/united-nations-ban-death-penalty/ And here's a link for people who lack the mental faculties to perform a basic search. Even though I know some of those people on here will deny it as fake news anyway.

xBlackHeartx

Re: The United States voted against a UN ban on the death penalty, for gays.

Postby xBlackHeartx » 2017-10-05, 8:01

And one's going to comment on how the US has finally done something to prove to the world just how fucked up this country is??? I've been telling everyone how horrible this country is, only for no one to believe me. Now I finally have irrefutable proof from online of this country's true face, and no one cares?????????

md0

Postby md0 » 2017-10-05, 8:32

On the flip side, it's not like UN resolutions mean a lot, outside the realm of the symbolic.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-10-05, 13:12

The last time a resolution like this came up, in 2014, the US didn't vote against it, it just abstained. That's a difference but not a very significant one.

I think it's very telling that it's the bit about the gays which is in all the headlines when the resolution also condemns the use of the death penalty against (among others) "persons with mental or intellectual disabilities". This is something the USA is currently doing. But everyone's more concerned about theoretical violations of LGBTQ rights than about actual violations of the rights of the disabled.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Koko

Postby Koko » 2017-10-08, 0:24

I mean it's sad, especially given what linguoboy said, but I seriously expect nothing less from the US. Socially most states are so reactionary and regressive that nothing good politically can happen there without a massive sudden cultural shift which isn't at all likely. I see a story like this and can only be reaffirmed that the US is hopeless.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2017-10-13, 22:27

I was livid at this too, but it wasn't just the US, Japan voted against it too. But yeah it is horrible and I wish I didn't live in this country anymore.
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

Return to “Politics and Religion”