Brexit in your countries

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator
Brexit in your countries

Postby france-eesti » 2016-02-21, 9:48

Hi there !
I thought it would be interesting to discuss Brexit as we are all from different countries...
And also to see how media describe it... :D actually I think there can be lots of opinions upon the matter :whistle:

So who's starting ? 8-)
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

linguoboy

Re: Brexit in your countries

Postby linguoboy » 2016-02-26, 16:00

It's not going to happen. Cameron made a rash promise to appease the Eurosceptics in his party and he's been backpedaling from it ever since the election. It would be financially disastrous for Britain and anyone with sense can see that. So now everyone's just looking for a face-saving solution that will prevent a negative referendum result.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Saim

Re: Brexit in your countries

Postby Saim » 2016-03-22, 18:03

I think the UK leaving the EU would be good for the rest of Europe, although possibly bad for the UK. I feel like the UK constantly negotiating exemptions and special treatment undermines European democracy.

I get the Euroskeptics point of view because as far as I can tell there's no debate whether the EU has huge structural problems -- the question is whether it's reformable or not. I'm still hoping for a more transparent, democratic EU, and I think that the UK leaving may actually help towards that.

I'm not convinced that the UK leaving the EU would have such huge economic effects. Wouldn't the UK just end up in the European Free Trade Association just like Switzerland and Norway? That said, it would likely be bad for the UK because it would have no say in economic policy that still directly affects it, but I don't think it would be disastrous.

Return to “Politics and Religion”