European refugee crisis [split]

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
User avatar
md0
Posts: 7290
Joined: 2010-08-08, 19:56
Country: CY Cyprus (Κύπρος / Kıbrıs)

Re: European refugee crisis [split]

Postby md0 » 2015-11-02, 6:40

They are not supposed to find jobs there.

Not to shock you again, but asylum seekers try to find jobs when they arrive in Europe even if it's "illegal".
Some of us try to arrange jobs for them, even if it's "illegal".

Even though are usually middle class city dwellers back in their countries (those are the people who can flee, poor people always stay behind because they are poor), they often run out of money before they reach an entry country like Greece because the smugglers operate a black market and ask extortionate amount of money. (THIS IS WHY BORDERS SHOULD BE OPEN)
And when they reach Greece, and before they can make it to Germany and whatnot, the local businessmen exploit them by charging them "3 euro for a 25cl carton of juice, 5 euro per hour of mobile charging, 30 euro for a blanket" etc (Those are documented in Greek newspapers by investigations in Lesvos and Kos islands that recently hosted a lot of refugees).
That's a +400% markup on prices.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Cypriot Greek (el-cy) | ○Standard Modern Greek of Greece (el)Assorted Englishes (en) | ↓France French (fr) | ⊖Police Procedural J-Drama Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr) | ↑German Standard German (de)

User avatar
Varislintu
Posts: 15324
Joined: 2004-02-09, 13:32
Real Name: M.
Gender: female
Location: Helsinki
Country: FI Finland (Suomi)

Re: European refugee crisis [split]

Postby Varislintu » 2015-11-02, 6:55

meidei wrote:by charging them "3 euro for a 25cl carton of juice, 5 euro per hour of mobile charging, 30 euro for a blanket" etc (Those are documented in Greek newspapers by investigations in Lesvos and Kos islands that recently hosted a lot of refugees).
That's a +400% markup on prices.


Hehhehheh, until they reach Finland, where these are the legit local prices. :wicked: :cry:

/OT

EDIT: Still, I don't know, I think I'd actually be fine with being situated in a place like the remote Swedish centre, but I can't completely divorce myself from having that perspective because I grew up in a quiet Nordic suburb myself. Because they did choose to come to the Nordics, instead of more southward. This place is foresty and dark and cold an not very populated. If they were then accepted as official refugees in Finland, for example, they would be evenly distributed between the municipalities so that no municipality's budget takes the whole hit. They might be assigned to Tornio at that point, which would probably seem like a nightmare to them. But that's what we have.

What's news to me is that Sweden doesn't provide food in these centres. :shock: Here in Finland some asylum seekers staged a demonstration because they couldn't accept the food served to them -- claiming they wouldn't give that food to dogs even. Thing is, it's normal mass-kitchen food that Finns eat in hospitals, elderly homes and schools. :( I mean literally provided by the same companies.

I think a lot of this comes from 1) these guys just being so tired, and inexperienced with other cultures, and having very rosy misconceptions about Europe.

Possibly 2) having a certain level of middle class privilege, if they were middle class in their home country, and lived that lifestyle there.

3) Having a suspicion that their honor is deliberately being defiled by others. I can't blame them for being suspicious -- they face a lot of racism and xenophobia along the way to here (and here as well of course).

What would be important for locals to remember is that these things don't invalidate their status as human beings. They are very much like us -- just because they don't behave in a stereotypical meek beggar kind of way doesn't mean we should reject them. Rather we should realise that we'd probably behave the same way if our privileged asses got demoted to refugee level by a conflict, and we'd have to seek a better life elsewhere, going through all the indignities that that entails.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

User avatar
Johanna
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 6404
Joined: 2006-09-17, 18:05
Real Name: Johanna
Gender: female
Location: Lidköping, Westrogothia
Country: SE Sweden (Sverige)

Re: European refugee crisis [split]

Postby Johanna » 2015-11-02, 7:57

Varislintu wrote:Still, I don't know, I think I'd actually be fine with being situated in a place like the remote Swedish centre, but I can't completely divorce myself from having that perspective because I grew up in a quiet Nordic suburb myself. Because they did choose to come to the Nordics, instead of more southward. This place is foresty and dark and cold an not very populated. If they were then accepted as official refugees in Finland, for example, they would be evenly distributed between the municipalities so that no municipality's budget takes the whole hit. They might be assigned to Tornio at that point, which would probably seem like a nightmare to them. But that's what we have.

It's very different if you've got a car or at the least the money for a bus ticket, but these places are usually situated not even in the suburbs or some small town, but on the actual countryside, too far from the nearest town to walk, at least if you don't want to do it along a road that no one who's not in a car or on a motorcycle has any business being on.

It's nobody's fault really, there aren't many more or less empty buildings of the right size in better locations than that, and when the refugees have been given adequate information about the situation and where they are going to stay, it works just fine.

Varislintu wrote:What's news to me is that Sweden doesn't provide food in these centres. :shock: Here in Finland some asylum seekers staged a demonstration because they couldn't accept the food served to them -- claiming they wouldn't give that food to dogs even. Thing is, it's normal mass-kitchen food that Finns eat in hospitals, elderly homes and schools. :( I mean literally provided by the same companies.

In many places they do, but then they have to pay for it like I said. I'm not sure whether it's by getting less money or actually paying for it though. But then there are places where they don't get any food since there's no kitchen large enough to handle that amount, but then they have to be able to cook for themselves I think.

Asylum seekers can also opt for staying with family or friends instead of at one of those centres.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language, want to understand and speak but can't.

User avatar
linguoboy
Posts: 22013
Joined: 2009-08-25, 15:11
Real Name: Da
Location: Chicago
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: European refugee crisis [split]

Postby linguoboy » 2015-11-02, 17:09

Johanna wrote:The information they have gotten is often really bad, so when the bus stops at a place that looks to be located in the middle of nowhere, in a deep dark forest, of course it's a very uncomfortable situation for hem.

If I'd recently fled a country where civilians were being slaughtered en masse, I know just what would be going through my head in a situation like that.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

User avatar
md0
Posts: 7290
Joined: 2010-08-08, 19:56
Country: CY Cyprus (Κύπρος / Kıbrıs)

Re: European refugee crisis [split]

Postby md0 » 2015-11-09, 18:58

Lookie here, the Sweden Racists Party immigrated to Greece where they try to poison local communities with their wicked beliefs.

Image

Image

http://www.provo.gr/sdlesvos/
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Cypriot Greek (el-cy) | ○Standard Modern Greek of Greece (el)Assorted Englishes (en) | ↓France French (fr) | ⊖Police Procedural J-Drama Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr) | ↑German Standard German (de)

User avatar
Levike
Posts: 6153
Joined: 2013-04-22, 19:26
Real Name: Levi
Gender: male
Location: Budapest
Country: HU Hungary (Magyarország)

Re: European refugee crisis [split]

Postby Levike » 2015-11-09, 19:37

I read I think a week ago that there was a building that was prepared to host refugees in Sweden, but it was burnt down by some still unidentified people.
Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára.

User avatar
Johanna
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 6404
Joined: 2006-09-17, 18:05
Real Name: Johanna
Gender: female
Location: Lidköping, Westrogothia
Country: SE Sweden (Sverige)

Re: European refugee crisis [split]

Postby Johanna » 2015-11-10, 1:30

meidei wrote:Lookie here, the Sweden Racists Party immigrated to Greece where they try to poison local communities with their wicked beliefs.

http://www.topontiki.gr/sites/default/files/styles/default/public/souidoi.jpg?itok=BvloenVe

http://www.provo.gr/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/sd1.jpg

http://www.provo.gr/sdlesvos/

Yep, huge scandal here and at first they even tried to deny it. And most of it are lies, the only thing that rings even remotely true is that thing about the number of reported rapes (which as everyone here knows has very little to do with the actual number of rapes), that polygamy is forbidden and that so are forced marriages.

And despite this gang violence that creates headlines, there are less murders now than in the 70's, and even though I think shootings may make up a larger percentage of them now rather than back then, the actual numbers have still dropped, it's just that other types of murder have gone down even more.

Levike wrote:I read I think a week ago that there was a building that was prepared to host refugees in Sweden, but it was burnt down by some still unidentified people.

I commented on that before, there have been a few such fires yes.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language, want to understand and speak but can't.

User avatar
TeneReef
Posts: 3059
Joined: 2010-04-17, 23:22
Gender: male
Location: Kampor
Country: HR Croatia (Hrvatska)

Re: European refugee crisis [split]

Postby TeneReef » 2015-11-11, 14:54

meidei wrote:Lookie here, the Sweden Racists Party immigrated to Greece where they try to poison local communities with their wicked beliefs.

http://www.topontiki.gr/sites/default/files/styles/default/public/souidoi.jpg?itok=BvloenVe

http://www.provo.gr/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/sd1.jpg

http://www.provo.gr/sdlesvos/

Why are they in Lesbos?
Last edited by Johanna on 2015-11-11, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made images into links since the images are on the same page.
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2018: (no-nn) (ne)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 21810
Joined: 2013-01-10, 8:49
Real Name: Vijay John
Gender: male
Location: Austin
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: European refugee crisis [split]

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-11-11, 18:52

Because that's where a lot of the immigrants first land after crossing the Aegean Sea?

User avatar
Levike
Posts: 6153
Joined: 2013-04-22, 19:26
Real Name: Levi
Gender: male
Location: Budapest
Country: HU Hungary (Magyarország)

Re: European refugee crisis [split]

Postby Levike » 2015-11-15, 1:47

Poland decided to reject EU-imposed quotas on immigrants.

It has joined the Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia and Romania.
Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára.

Патрислав Андреевич

Re: European refugee crisis [split]

Postby Патрислав Андреевич » 2015-11-15, 14:47

Levike wrote:Poland decided to reject EU-imposed quotas on immigrants.

It has joined the Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia and Romania.

Finally some good news.

However, I wouldn't take the PiS government's words for granted. Earlier they were saying they would respect the deals made by the previous one. Now some ministers speak up against being a vassal of Germany and against taking in the "refugees," but I'm afraid they'll get a call from their superiors and return to them on kneels, asking for forgiveness. :roll:

Only time will show if we have a really Polish government now.

User avatar
Levike
Posts: 6153
Joined: 2013-04-22, 19:26
Real Name: Levi
Gender: male
Location: Budapest
Country: HU Hungary (Magyarország)

Re: European refugee crisis [split]

Postby Levike » 2015-11-22, 21:35

Slovak and Czech (I think also Polish) forces came to the Hungarian border to help on its defense.
I like how these are the only circumstances in which we can come together and cooperate.

And Hungary is offering Macedonia enough material to build a 25 km long wired fence on its border. I´m curious if they´ll accept.
Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára.

הענט

Re: European refugee crisis [split]

Postby הענט » 2015-11-27, 16:17

At this rate, I'll probably emigrate myself. There's this job opportunity where I can work on some cruise ship in the Carribean and get a 10 year visa to the US of A. Then I'll probably apply for a green card and leave Europe for good. I feel the EU is very idle and indecisive in general. I can't think of anything good it has brought us. :?

User avatar
Levike
Posts: 6153
Joined: 2013-04-22, 19:26
Real Name: Levi
Gender: male
Location: Budapest
Country: HU Hungary (Magyarország)

Re: European refugee crisis [split]

Postby Levike » 2015-12-02, 20:51

Slovakia's president Robert Fico suggested that Greece should leave the Schengen zone, due to its incapability to protect its borders.

Yannis Mouzalas, a Greek minister said "There isn't any official request, but we're being pressured."

What do you guys think? Should Greece stay in within the Schengen area or not?
Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára.

User avatar
Saim
Posts: 4897
Joined: 2011-01-22, 5:44
Location: Novi Sad
Country: RS Serbia (Србија)

Re: European refugee crisis [split]

Postby Saim » 2015-12-03, 9:18

I think Syria should join the Schengen Zone.

User avatar
Levike
Posts: 6153
Joined: 2013-04-22, 19:26
Real Name: Levi
Gender: male
Location: Budapest
Country: HU Hungary (Magyarország)

Re: European refugee crisis [split]

Postby Levike » 2015-12-03, 11:38

Saim wrote:I think Syria should join the Schengen Zone.

Your point being?
Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára.

הענט

Re: European refugee crisis [split]

Postby הענט » 2015-12-03, 15:50

Greece should leave the Schengen area, because none of its neighbors are within. Duh.

User avatar
md0
Posts: 7290
Joined: 2010-08-08, 19:56
Country: CY Cyprus (Κύπρος / Kıbrıs)

Re: European refugee crisis [split]

Postby md0 » 2015-12-03, 16:13

Planes exist.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Cypriot Greek (el-cy) | ○Standard Modern Greek of Greece (el)Assorted Englishes (en) | ↓France French (fr) | ⊖Police Procedural J-Drama Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr) | ↑German Standard German (de)

User avatar
Saim
Posts: 4897
Joined: 2011-01-22, 5:44
Location: Novi Sad
Country: RS Serbia (Србија)

Re: European refugee crisis [split]

Postby Saim » 2015-12-06, 16:43

Levike wrote:
Saim wrote:I think Syria should join the Schengen Zone.

Your point being?


No point, I just don't think borders should exist.

User avatar
Saim
Posts: 4897
Joined: 2011-01-22, 5:44
Location: Novi Sad
Country: RS Serbia (Србија)

Re: European refugee crisis [split]

Postby Saim » 2015-12-08, 20:39



Return to “Politics and Religion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests