European refugee crisis [split]

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
Levike
Re: European refugee crisis [split]

Postby Levike » 2015-12-09, 12:37

Austria is building a wired fence at portions of its border with Slovenia. (so just a few kilometers)
They hope it's going to be finished this year somewhere at the end of December.

At the beginning they were against the Hungarian fence, seems like they have turned a few degrees.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2015-12-11, 16:09

Say what you want about the politics of this issue, this is quite a heartwarming scene:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/12/world/americas/syria-refugees-arrive-in-canada.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Levike

Postby Levike » 2016-01-27, 20:19

In Ardud, a very little town in Romania, officials announced that they are going to build a refugee camp.

The first day it was announced people signed a petition against it and they also went to the Casa de Cultura's building where they had a debate with the mayor and the vice-mayor. Things became more tense as people started threatening with violence in case refugees will actually be brought there.

Originally people were told it's going to be a centre for retired people. Timing was also pretty bad, since they announced the camp the same day news spread that some Swedish girl working in a refugee camp got killed.

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2016-01-27, 21:35

Levike wrote:Timing was also pretty bad, since they announced the camp the same day news spread that some Swedish girl working in a refugee camp got killed.

It wasn't a refugee camp, it was a home for teenagers who for one reason or another can't live with either their own parents or with a foster family, and this is the kind of home many teenage refugees that come here without any parent end up in.

These homes are often turbulent at best and violent at worst, no matter the ethnicity of the kids currently living there, they've all got pretty hefty baggage. The problem in this case was that the only personnel on site was a 22-year-old woman who hadn't worked there for very long, something that used to be against the law.

My mother used to work at a home very similar to it, but before they removed the rule that there had to be at least 2 personnel present during nights, and well before the trickle of refugees turned into a steady stream, so most of the time there were only white kids there. The stories she told...

--------------------

Edit: There are no refugee camps in Sweden, there are flyktingboenden, which are sort of like dormitories for refugees, in actual buildings deemed safe for the amount of people living there. Teenagers coming here on their own either go to the homes I described, into foster families, or separate flyktingboenden for those under 18, depending on how old they are and what's available.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2016-01-27, 21:39

Johanna wrote:it was a home for teenagers who for one reason or another can't live with either their own parents or with a foster family, and this is the kind of home many teenage refugees that come here without any parent end up in.

Alright, but why did she get killed? Was it an accident? I don't know the whole story.

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2016-01-27, 21:48

Levike wrote:
Johanna wrote:it was a home for teenagers who for one reason or another can't live with either their own parents or with a foster family, and this is the kind of home many teenage refugees that come here without any parent end up in.

Alright, but why did she get killed? Was it an accident? I don't know the whole story.

From my understanding she and the kid who stabbed her ended up in an argument/fight and he got hold of a knife. A couple of other kids managed to overpower him, but it was too late, and she died either in the ambulance on her way to the hospital or pretty soon after she arrived there.

My mother could have been in her place several times, had she not had at least one other colleague around all the time, one who could have read the signs much earlier and stepped in before it escalated.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2016-01-28, 6:27

Just goes to show that certain elements in the media will twist stories and capitalise on tragedies to push their own political agenda.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2016-01-28, 13:43

Saim wrote:Just goes to show that certain elements in the media will twist stories

How is this twisted? Or what are you referring to more exactly?

The part where Johanna corrected me (the place being a home for teenagers and not a refugee camp) was my mistake.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2016-01-28, 14:43

Here in Finland, concerned young men have formed street patrols called... Soldiers of Odin (it had to be, right?? :lol: :lol: ) that walk the streets to keep things safe from teh ebil refugees. They have black pilot jackets with their logo on the back.

I'm thinking this is the perfect time to launch a real life Vigilants of Stendarr. To protect the public from vampires, you know. We could wear cool medieval robes and stuff! Anyone? :lol: :lol:

(Not to worry, the Loldiers of Odin are already making fun of the Soldiers of Odin:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n85LwLsvSfc

Levike

Postby Levike » 2016-01-28, 20:18

Varislintu wrote:Here in Finland, concerned young men have formed street patrols called... Soldiers of Odin

They also have a sense of humour. But come one now?! Odin? What's more, Soldiers of Odin? Really? *Perkele!

*The internet taught me to use this word.
To protect the public from vampires, you know.

So no Transylvanian immigrants? :para:

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2016-01-28, 21:30

Levike wrote:
Varislintu wrote:Here in Finland, concerned young men have formed street patrols called... Soldiers of Odin

They also have a sense of humour. But come one now?! Odin? What's more, Soldiers of Odin? Really? *Perkele!

*The internet taught me to use this word.
To protect the public from vampires, you know.

So no Transylvanian immigrants? :para:

None, it is an affront to Stendarr! :wink:

I have no idea why 'Odin'. I suppose Väinämöinen with his magic kantele and singing didn't scratch these guys' masculinity deficiency itch enough when they were tossing around ideas. :P

Allekanger

Postby Allekanger » 2016-01-29, 6:07

Varislintu wrote:I have no idea why 'Odin'. I suppose Väinämöinen with his magic kantele and singing didn't scratch these guys' masculinity deficiency itch enough when they were tossing around ideas. :P

That's okay, we wouldn't want Kalevala to be dragged into their mess! Norse mythology is already tainted anyway.

I love the loldiers though, "hei hei, hei hei, hei hei!". :D So much happiness.

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2016-01-29, 12:58

Allekanger wrote:
Varislintu wrote:I have no idea why 'Odin'. I suppose Väinämöinen with his magic kantele and singing didn't scratch these guys' masculinity deficiency itch enough when they were tossing around ideas. :P

That's okay, we wouldn't want Kalevala to be dragged into their mess! Norse mythology is already tainted anyway.

I love the loldiers though, "hei hei, hei hei, hei hei!". :D So much happiness.

Where's the upvote button when you need one? :?:

Or two in this case, but well...

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2016-01-29, 20:46

I like and admire the Loldiers, too -- I think the two groups represent pretty much the best and the worst, respectively, of what the Finnish cultural and social capital has to offer in times of pressure.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2016-01-30, 13:29

Levike wrote:In Ardud, a very little town in Romania, officials announced that they are going to build a refugee camp.

The first day it was announced people signed a petition against it and they also went to the Casa de Cultura's building where they had a debate with the mayor and the vice-mayor.

Update: Seemingly the petition had its effect and the project is going to be cancelled.

md0

Postby md0 » 2016-04-29, 9:32

A liberal free-press rag in Greece is running an article against the Greek public television for calling the Syrian National Coalition's flag (seen in a refugee camp in Greece) the "flag of Syria". Their comment? "This is actually the Syrian rebels flag, who receive support from the jihadits, many say".

If that's not a fearmongering campaign against refugees, I don't know what it is.
First of all, Greece, like most countries and western institutions (like the EU), recognised the SNC as the legitimate representative of the Syrian people. So the public television calling the SNC flag "the flag of Syria" is pretty much factual as far as Greek foreign policy is concerned. And then of course, casually claiming that SNC works together with ISIS is only trying to convince your readers that the refugees are all ISIS militants coming to get you, and it shows how little you know about the current state of the civil war in Syria, where pretty much every army is against all other armies.
So when the 'brave' racists tell the refugees to go fight for their country, they should also specify if they want them to fight in the side of Assad, or the SNC, or the left-wing Kurds, or the right-wing Kurds, or maybe of ISIS (or perhaps the non-ISIS islamist militia).
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-04-29, 18:46

I honestly did not know that flag had such wide recognition or even existed. It doesn't even look terribly different from the old flag, though, so...idk, complaining so much about that new flag sounds intuitively a little weird to me already. :?

md0

Postby md0 » 2016-04-29, 19:06

But of course, the liberal press is not really concerned about the flag, it's just an excuse. Their point is to turn people against the public TV (because they think everything should be privatised), and against the refugees (whom they only like when they serve as artistic inspirations for their magazine covers).
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Return to “Politics and Religion”