The End of Sanctions in Iran?

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
Michael
The End of Sanctions in Iran?

Postby Michael » 2015-04-15, 2:52

I'm curious about everyone else's opinion of the success of the recent agreement with Iran. Do you think it will finally allow Iran to reenter the international community? Or will there be opposition in both countries from the hardliners (who are always the power-holding minority) towards change?
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

Yasna

Re: The End of Sanctions in Iran?

Postby Yasna » 2015-04-15, 3:10

Iran's economic isolation will soon be over, as long as either an agreement is reached, or the talks break down but America is seen as responsible for the failure. Relations will remain troubled with America and some other Western countries because America refuses to accept Iran as the predominant power of West Asia. This whole conflict about Iran's nuclear program is really about Iran's role in the region. No serious person in Israel really believes Iran is suicidal (which is what a nuclear attack on Israel would be). What Israel and Saudi Arabia are concerned about is Iran dominating the region. That is why they are pulling out every stop imaginable to keep America in a state of perpetual conflict with Iran. And America's Israel worshiping political caste is gladly playing along.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-04-22, 14:41

After having been interested in Hebrew and consequently Israeli culture I think I know all Israeli hasbara by heart, and regarding Iran, Israel's stalwarts usually say that Iran is a threat to the World because it is run by people who believe that bringing about the apocalypse will make the shia messiah come on Earth or something along those lines (I'm no expert on Islam).

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2015-04-22, 16:53

IpseDixit wrote:After having been interested in Hebrew and consequently Israeli culture I think I know all Israeli hasbara by heart, and regarding Iran, Israel's stalwarts usually say that Iran is a threat to the World because it is run by people who believe that bringing about the apocalypse will make the shia messiah come on Earth or something along those lines (I'm no expert on Islam).

Iranian leaders have said some stupid shit over the years, but if you look at their actions, they are actually very pragmatic and defensive. Their foreign policy is basically exactly the foreign policy you would expect from a country that over the course of two years saw an aggressive, militaristic power invade its two main neighboring countries which didn't have nuclear weapons. Iran wants a nuclear weapon mostly to defend again the threat of an American invasion, which is a very real possibility given past experience plus the fact that many in Washington are zealously pursuing regime change in Iran.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-04-22, 16:56

IpseDixit wrote:After having been interested in Hebrew and consequently Israeli culture I think I know all Israeli hasbara by heart, and regarding Iran, Israel's stalwarts usually say that Iran is a threat to the World because it is run by people who believe that bringing about the apocalypse will make the shia messiah come on Earth or something along those lines (I'm no expert on Islam).

Sounds like exactly the same scare tactics the Democrats here trot out whenever an Evangelical Christian or a Mormon is nominated for highest office.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-04-22, 17:54

Yasna wrote:Iran wants a nuclear weapon mostly to defend again the threat of an American invasion, which is a very real possibility given past experience plus the fact that many in Washington are zealously pursuing regime change in Iran.

I doubt very much that the US would actually do this, though, unless perhaps somebody as crazy as Bush becomes president and seriously does not care about what the costs of such an invasion would be for their own country. Already it has been hugely bogged down in both Afghanistan and Iraq and is intervening in various other countries in the Middle East as we speak. On top of it all, its economy is not exactly in great shape.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-04-22, 18:10

You think Jeb Bush is "crazy"? On what basis?

I'm more concerned by the fact that 60% of Americans polled think we should go to war with Iran if that's what it takes to prevent them from acquiring nuclear weapons.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-04-22, 18:11

linguoboy wrote:You think Jeb Bush is "crazy"?

No, George Bush.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-04-22, 18:18

vijayjohn wrote:
linguoboy wrote:You think Jeb Bush is "crazy"?

No, George Bush.

Who's not the Bush running next year.

Now I understand what you were saying ("someone as crazy now as Bush was then"), but that was a really confusing way to phrase it.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-04-22, 18:23

Sorry.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2017-06-05, 15:48

vijayjohn wrote:I doubt very much that the US would actually do this, though, unless perhaps somebody as crazy as Bush becomes president and seriously does not care about what the costs of such an invasion would be for their own country.

It wasn't easy, but somehow we outdid that hypothetical. :bittercry:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-06-06, 3:18

That being said, even Chump distances himself from the War on Iraq. (Or at least he did once). I see that as something of a good sign.

Return to “Politics and Religion”