LGBTQA+ issues

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
LGBTQA+ issues

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-12-30, 10:52

I honestly don't know why there isn't a thread for this yet. I hope it's okay that I started one.

linguoboy

Re: Homophobia

Postby linguoboy » 2014-12-30, 13:48

Well, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's not good. In fact, I'm agin' it.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-12-30, 14:04

:lol:

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-12-30, 14:06

Now we need a classism thread for the sake of completeness. :)

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-12-30, 19:30

linguoboy wrote:I'm agin' it.

This must be some Missourian idiom.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-12-30, 21:22

mōdgethanc wrote:
linguoboy wrote:I'm agin' it.

This must be some Missourian idiom.

Nope. Next time try dictionarying.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-12-31, 2:50

linguoboy wrote: Nope. Next time try dictionarying.

a·gin
(ə-gĭn′) Chiefly Upper Southern US

Well, what do you know! I was right!
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-12-31, 5:11

mōdgethanc wrote:
a·gin
(ə-gĭn′) Chiefly Upper Southern US

Well, what do you know! I was right!

Get a better dictionary. The one I use has usage examples from W.S. Gilbert, Winston Churchill, and John Galsworthy. (It's published by Oxford.)

ling

Postby ling » 2014-12-31, 7:07

You're either fer it or agin it!

Homophobia: 同性戀恐懼症 or 恐同症 (Chinese)
Native: [flag=]en[/flag] Advanced: [flag=]zh[/flag] Actively studying: [flag=]th[/flag][flag=]id[/flag] Passively dabbling: [flag=]lkt[/flag]

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-12-31, 10:02

linguoboy wrote:(It's published by Oxford.)
Of course it is, dear chap.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2015-01-09, 18:34

"Gays are fine as long as they aren't the queer/fag kind or don't hit on me"

I've heard this more times than I can count.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2015-01-10, 10:14

So soon homosexuals and transgender people (and also those with sexual fetishes) might not qualify for a driver's license in Russia. What progressive conservatism!

md0

Postby md0 » 2015-01-10, 12:41

Prowler wrote:"Gays are fine as long as they aren't the queer/fag kind or don't hit on me"

The real problem is that you also hear this from gay/bi guys as well. As I wrote in some thread here in the past, I even come across gay guys, usually 'bottoms', who not only say those homophobic things, but also admit they will bully feminine men if that means they can continue to be discreet and perceived as straight by their peers.

I used to hate that "homophobes are often closeted homosexuals" trope, even when scientific research started backing it up to some extend. But definitely some of them confess to that. And from my experience it's usually the feminine gay men and/or the 'bottoms' who have to use that defence, because of their stigmatisation on more than one level.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2015-01-10, 19:49

meidei wrote:
Prowler wrote:"Gays are fine as long as they aren't the queer/fag kind or don't hit on me"

The real problem is that you also hear this from gay/bi guys as well. As I wrote in some thread here in the past, I even come across gay guys, usually 'bottoms', who not only say those homophobic things, but also admit they will bully feminine men if that means they can continue to be discreet and perceived as straight by their peers.

I used to hate that "homophobes are often closeted homosexuals" trope, even when scientific research started backing it up to some extend. But definitely some of them confess to that. And from my experience it's usually the feminine gay men and/or the 'bottoms' who have to use that defence, because of their stigmatisation on more than one level.

I haven't met a lot of gays, at least that I know of, and don't have a single gay friend, but there's this guy I play games on steam with who's gay and he likes to make it clear that he's "gay" and not a "fag". He also claims to be ashamed of gay parades and that they're not needed at all.

loqu

Postby loqu » 2015-01-10, 22:02

Prowler wrote:he likes to make it clear that he's "gay" and not a "fag". He also claims to be ashamed of gay parades and that they're not needed at all.

Oh, homophobic gays. I'm so fed up with them. Too much time spent listening to their whining.
Нека људи уживају у стварима.
Let people enjoy things.

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2015-01-14, 2:35

Varislintu wrote:So soon homosexuals and transgender people (and also those with sexual fetishes) might not qualify for a driver's license in Russia. What progressive conservatism!

Wait, what? What's their reasoning behind that?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-01-14, 5:52

Prowler wrote:
Varislintu wrote:So soon homosexuals and transgender people (and also those with sexual fetishes) might not qualify for a driver's license in Russia. What progressive conservatism!

That reminds me, I meant to ask: "those with sexual fetishes"? What does that even mean? Isn't everybody turned on by something? Who is considered to have a sexual fetish, and who is not?

EDIT: Well, okay, I guess not everybody is turned on by something, but still.
Last edited by vijayjohn on 2015-01-14, 8:06, edited 1 time in total.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2015-01-14, 6:42

Prowler wrote:

Those with a perverse mind can't be trusted to drive, you see. More recently, it's been reported as not applying to homosexuals after all, but still transgender and transsexuals and fetishists. I don't know what the plans really are.

ling

Postby ling » 2015-01-14, 6:56

Prowler wrote:

Hatred.
Native: [flag=]en[/flag] Advanced: [flag=]zh[/flag] Actively studying: [flag=]th[/flag][flag=]id[/flag] Passively dabbling: [flag=]lkt[/flag]

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-01-14, 8:04

So who is allowed to drive then? :lol:

Return to “Politics and Religion”