Racism

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderators: Global Moderators, Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
Luís
Forum Administrator

Re: Racism

Postby Luís » 2017-10-08, 20:52

There might be some very ethnically homogenous regions in Portugal, but Lisbon is definitely not one of them.

Resident foreigners constitute 10.6% of the population of the city (2016)*. Number of tourists visiting the city (2016): 21 million.

So yeah, it's virtually impossible not to see foreigners everyday.**

*Top 5 countries: Brazil, Cape Verde, Ukraine, Romania, China
** Also, most Blacks and South Asians don't actually count as foreigners, since they have Portuguese nationality. Plus, there's the Roma, which are also well represented in some sections of the city
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-10-08, 21:45

I thought Prowler wasn't from Lisbon, though, so I'm afraid I don't see what that has to do with anything. Never mind, he said he was in the capital city.
Prowler wrote:Why would I talk to random tourists and immigrants out of the blue?

I never said anything about either "random" or "out of the blue." In a place where you see foreigners every day, it's not impossible that you will also have to interact with some of them on some level at a university or other educational institution (if you're studying at one) or at work (if you have a job). So I'm asking whether you do.

Again, my point is: If you don't interact with people in the first place, they're probably not going to care who you are. Even if they did, you wouldn't know anyway! Right? So of course no one will tell you that you look just like your brother or anything.
Luís wrote:Also, most Blacks and South Asians don't actually count as foreigners, since they have Portuguese nationality. Plus, there's the Roma, which are also well represented in some sections of the city

Okay, in light of this information (which is new to me because I'm not Portuguese and am no authority on how Portuguese people think), I'll additionally ask Prowler how often he interacts with Blacks, South Asians, or Roma.
Last edited by vijayjohn on 2017-10-08, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2017-10-08, 21:49

vijayjohn wrote:I thought Prowler wasn't from Lisbon, though, so I'm afraid I don't see what that has to do with anything.
Prowler wrote:Why would I talk to random tourists and immigrants out of the blue?

I never said anything about either "random" or "out of the blue." In a place where you see foreigners every day, it's not impossible that you will also have to interact with some of them on some level at a university or other educational institution (if you're studying at one) or at work (if you have a job). So I'm asking whether you do.

Again, my point is: If you don't interact with people in the first place, they're probably not going to care who you are. Even if they did, you wouldn't know anyway! Right? So of course no one will tell you that you look just like your brother or anything.
Luís wrote:Also, most Blacks and South Asians don't actually count as foreigners, since they have Portuguese nationality. Plus, there's the Roma, which are also well represented in some sections of the city

Okay, in light of this information (which is new to me because I'm not Portuguese and am no authority on how Portuguese people think), I'll additionally ask Prowler how often he interacts with Blacks, South Asians, or Roma.

I don't keep track really.

I don't really interact with Gypsies afaik. last time I've talked to one was when I was in 9th grade I guess?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-10-08, 22:06

Okay, I'm going to try putting my question bluntly: Why would anyone give a fuck who you were if you don't interact with them???

That's why my whole point is: If you don't interact with them, of course they're not going to confuse you with anyone.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-11-30, 9:14

Two days ago (Tuesday), a white guy from the Pittsburgh metro area, clearly emboldened by the last presidential election, pled guilty to beating an Indian guy at a crowded restaurant under the assumption that the victim was Arab. The manager called the cops. No one did anything else. The attacker is out on bail.

Return to “Politics and Religion”