Perils of Perception

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
linguoboy

Perils of Perception

Postby linguoboy » 2014-11-20, 14:09

The UK polling firm Ipsos-MORI recently released the results of a 14-country poll of "the basic make-up of their populations and the scale of key social issues". It's getting some coverage in the USA because, for once, we came out only the second-most ignorant country surveyed. (Brava, Italia!)

If you want to try answering some of the questions yourself before reviewing the results, go here: https://www.ipsos-mori.com/_assets/perceptionsquiz/index.html. I ended up being only as ignorant as the average Spaniard, so hurra por mí! (Ironically, I then took the quiz for Spain and scored almost twice as well. USAmericans take note: the fieldwork was done in August so when they say "the last election", they mean 2012 and not the ones we just had.)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Perils of Perception

Postby Johanna » 2014-11-20, 16:02

I started on the Swedish version and the first question is like WTF!? It's about what percentage of the population are Christian, and it's definitely not as many as either of the three choices you get, not if you ask them if they believe in the Father, the Son and the Holy spirit, and if Jesus is the road to salvation, which is kind of a minimum in my book.

Edit: But sure, there are a lot that identify as Christian out of plain old habit, but non-religious ones or something.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2014-11-20, 16:30

6/9, similar to Spain, Great Britain and Australia. I had the same first question as Johanna and I agree with her. Another question was about the percentage of immigrants. The answer depends on what you mean with immigrants here. I think that's the reason why people overestimate it: They don't include people born abroad only.
Please correct my mistakes!

Marah

Postby Marah » 2014-11-20, 20:25

Johanna wrote:I started on the Swedish version and the first question is like WTF!? It's about what percentage of the population are Christian, and it's definitely not as many as either of the three choices you get, not if you ask them if they believe in the Father, the Son and the Holy spirit, and if Jesus is the road to salvation, which is kind of a minimum in my book.

Edit: But sure, there are a lot that identify as Christian out of plain old habit, but non-religious ones or something.

Same for France.
I got 6/9. :?

Car wrote: Another question was about the percentage of immigrants. The answer depends on what you mean with immigrants here. I think that's the reason why people overestimate it: They don't include people born abroad only.

That's also true. But I knew they meant the very strict definition of immigrant.
Par exemple, l'enfant croit au Père Noël. L'adulte non. L'adulte ne croit pas au Père Noël. Il vote.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2014-11-22, 9:20

Marah wrote:
Car wrote: Another question was about the percentage of immigrants. The answer depends on what you mean with immigrants here. I think that's the reason why people overestimate it: They don't include people born abroad only.

That's also true. But I knew they meant the very strict definition of immigrant.

That's usually not the kind of stats that are used in the media in Germany, though (maybe elsewhere as well?), so it's only natural if people have higher pecentages in mind.
Please correct my mistakes!

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2014-12-14, 9:12

Was bored, so...

USA - 5/9

Spain, Great Britain and Australia

Sweden - 3/9

USA, Italy and Poland

Germany - 5/9

Japan - 7/9

Sweden, Germany and Japan

Spain - 3/9

USA, Italy and Poland

Great Britain - 4/9

Australia - 7/9

Belgium - 8/9

Canada - 8/9

France - 8/9

Hungary - 5/9

Poland - 8/9

South Korea - 9/9

Italy - 8/9

...why are the same countries always grouped together when it comes to scores for each country? Weird.

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2014-12-14, 14:07

Prowler wrote:...why are the same countries always grouped together when it comes to scores for each country? Weird.

From my understanding, that's because they only asked people about their own country in the actual survey.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

Itikar

Postby Itikar » 2014-12-14, 14:22

Unemployment at 12% in Italy! :rotfl:
Oh, wait, that's what the government says... :roll:
Fletto i muscoli e sono nel vuoto!
All corrections are welcome and appreciated.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-12-14, 15:17

Itikar wrote:Unemployment at 12% in Italy! :rotfl:
Oh, wait, that's what the government says... :roll:

It's not the gov't. It's ISTAT and Eurobaromenter which say that. It's all about how you define unemployment.

Itikar

Postby Itikar » 2014-12-14, 15:23

The management of ISTAT is deeply involved with government officials. Regardless, they are all lying, since the unemployment figure controversy is very well known by everyone. Even reading the figures they give one can easily understand that the real value is, at least, double.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-12-14, 15:32

Itikar wrote:The management of ISTAT is deeply involved with government officials. Regardless, they are all lying, since the unemployment figure controversy is very well known by everyone. Even reading the figures they give one can easily understand that the real value is, at least, double.

Sources?

Itikar

Postby Itikar » 2014-12-14, 16:03

Open Google, type "disoccupazione reale italia" and enjoy plenty of them.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-12-14, 16:51

Itikar wrote:Open Google, type "disoccupazione reale italia" and enjoy plenty of them.

I've found a a lot of articles and all of them give different numbers...

Itikar

Postby Itikar » 2014-12-14, 17:20

Obviously. At least the double.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-12-14, 20:22

Itikar wrote:At least the double.

Not necessarily.

Itikar

Postby Itikar » 2014-12-14, 21:13

In almost all the articles there is written that the figure of 12% includes only the unemployed people who have looked for work in the month preceding the survey. There is in fact an amount of people of almost the same size who have not done this, but they are classified as "discouraged" and not as "unemployed". The sum of the two categories is well over 20%.
Therefore, given the definition of these "discouraged" people, I find hard to understand how the real unemployment is not, necessarily, at least the double.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-12-14, 21:41

Some articles say it's 17%, but anyways that wasn't my point, I was just a bit baffled by "the government is lying" part, not that I like this gov't (quite the contrary) and not that I think they wouldn't be able to lie, but in this case, as I said, it's just a matter of definition of unemployment (a definition which was not decided by any Italian gov'ts and which is actually adopted worldwide).

Levike

Postby Levike » 2014-12-14, 21:54

I've got 5/9 for Hungary.

Spain, Great Britain, Australia.

Seemingly things are better than what I expect them to be.
Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára.

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2014-12-14, 21:57

In Sweden, lots of things that isn't 'really' unemployment is often counted as if it were; students looking for jobs to get some extra money, and people with part-time jobs that support them but who want more hours for example.

Itikar

Postby Itikar » 2014-12-14, 22:12

IpseDixit wrote:Some articles say it's 17%, but anyways that wasn't my point, I was just a bit baffled by "the government is lying" part, not that I like this gov't (quite the contrary) and not that I think they wouldn't be able to lie, but in this case, as I said, it's just a matter of definition of unemployment (a definition which was not decided by any Italian gov'ts and which is actually adopted worldwide).
In my search the only articles giving figures lower than 20% had been published in 2012.

I am not an expert on these things, and I certainly can be wrong, but what I have read so far and, more importantly, comparison with the figures of other European countries, makes me quite diffident about that figure, as well as several others.

Return to “Politics and Religion”