[Split] Sexism

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
Luís
Forum Administrator
Re: [Split] Sexism

Postby Luís » 2018-09-07, 15:41

Their whole website looks like a bad joke, are you sure that's actually real?

After knee surgery due to a skiing accident in Zermatt, Switzerland, I was told to stay in bed and not move much for a week. I was handed a men’s portable urinal which did indeed limit my trips to and from the bathroom. It was a green, plastic, ugly piece of equipment. Soon after I began to walk , I realized that I had developed a lazy habit. I started using the green, plastic urinal again. My girlfriend was furious and said that the urinal wasn’t acceptable in the bedroom. That was the moment when I decided that there had to be something better than this. A product with a positive design approach. Maybe even with a touch of sex appeal if that could ever happen!”

Yeah, his girlfriend must be way happier now.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

md0

Postby md0 » 2018-09-07, 16:07

Luís wrote:Their whole website looks like a bad joke, are you sure that's actually real?

If it's a joke, he's really committed to it, here's the US Design Patent record (design also registered in EU and Japan).
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2018-09-07, 18:39

They really fund everything, it seems. :roll:
Please correct my mistakes!

md0

Postby md0 » 2018-09-11, 4:50

It surfaced that the mother of the jar's creator, and the woman who is the legal owner of the company, is a member of the Nicosia Municipal Board, and former Vice-Mayor with the ruling conservative party DISY.
Kinda explains why this could get EU funding without anyone objecting to it in the first place.
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-10-04, 3:52

I've just barely started learning about sexual harassment at my workplace. (Meaning the kind of harassment women are currently facing there).

md0

Postby md0 » 2018-12-12, 6:54

This might not be the thread for it, but afaik we do not have a rape culture thread. Some disturbing details about sexual abuse follow.

Last week a young woman (19yo iirc) was murdered in the Greek island of Rhodes/Rodos. The suspects under investigation are two young men, a 19 year old Albanian Greek and a 21 year old Hellenic Greek (ethnicity will become relevant). The motive has been established as the 19 year old trying to make the woman agree to a threesome with the 21 year old, and her refusing. I think it's still unclear if the men proceeded to rape her, but the woman was beaten up by either one or both men, and the final act of this abuse was to tie her up while she was alive and throw her down a cliff into the sea, which was what killed her. The two suspects are trying to blame each other and to support they only because accomplices to the murder because the other threatened to kill them if they didn't cooperate.
Former partners of both men came forward as witnesses and they spoke of very abusive men who would force them into sex, would often "share their girls" between them, and so on.

That was horrendous as it was. Both men were detained pending trial. Greek media of course largely focused on the 19 year old Albanian Greek, which has always been a 'criminalised' ethnicity in Greece (and there also recent political tensions with Albania). This led also to some victim-blaming comments by local New Democracy (mainstream lib-con party) politicians along the lines of "tragic incident but what do you expect if you go to bed with illegals?" (vomit-inducing comments regardless, but also a racist distraction, given that both suspects are Greek citizens, and one of them is ethnically Hellenic too).

And here comes the second sexual abuse of this story. The 19 year old, who was detained in isolation pending trial, was somehow extracted from his locked cell by at least 7 other inmates, beaten up, and raped multiple times. That means that prison wardens were either complicit, or completely unable to control the situation.
SKAI TV, a 'rational' and prestige TV channel representing the political leadership of the New Democracy party (so neoliberalism), somehow got hold one of the inmates who participated, and the interview with him was a complete description of rape culture. Not only he explained how being raped was the least he deserved (for his moral crime of killing a woman), but he should also be paraded in prison dressed in woman's clothes, and prostituted at the red light district of Athens. To his "credit", the inmate interviewed said that now they should bring them the Hellenic Greek suspect too, to give him the same treatment. The transcript of that interview I read in the papers was sickening. The prisoner thought of himself as a folk hero more or less, and associated everything feminine with weakness and undesirability.

It's common everywhere I think, to expect that rapists, and especially child rapists will get this treatment in prison (even in detention before trial, apparently). People celebrate prison rapes because they think it's justice served.
Of course, in reality, even if you consider it 'vigilante justice', it's very class based. Rich people who go in for sexual crimes including abuse of children, have a very comfy life in prison and often are leaders of prison rape gangs, or often, in hospital rooms because of some vaguely defined illness they get mid-trial.
And rapes in prison, contrary to what the 'outside world' thinks, are not based on any moral code. In Cyprus around 2013 we had a string of prison rapes that led to suicides of the victims, who where in for drug use or petty theft. But they were often of a migratory background and very young (17-21 years old - we do not have separate facilities for underage criminals in Cyprus, although in practice 14~16 year olds might be forcibly institutionalised ).

And for those prison rapists, what good have they done to the woman whose "no" was not respected and which led to her being murdered? The rape of the suspect played out with exactly the same rules.

It's sickening all around, this story. For a long time I began thinking of imprisonment as a failing of the society. We do it because as a society we have failed to come up with a better solution yet. But allowing, tolerating, or celebrating prison rapes goes beyond just admitting that our justice system is inadequate. Those rapes are preventable.
Last edited by md0 on 2018-12-12, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2018-12-12, 7:53

Prison rape being so widespread even in developed nations is one of the most fucked-up things about the world. Of course the high prevalence of rape in general is, but among issues that happen to disproportionately affect men, it's up there.

Being in prison is the punishment. Being raped in prison is state-facilitated abuse.
Not only he explained how being raped was the least he deserved (for his moral crime of killing a woman), but he should also be paraded in prison dressed in woman's clothes, and prostituted at the red light district of Athens.
This also says a lot about how they view women.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-12-12, 17:14

md0 wrote:It's common everywhere I think, to expect that rapists, and especially child rapists will get this treatment in prison (even in detention before trial, apparently). People celebrate prison rapes because they think it's justice served.

For me the really fucked-up aspect of this is that it's true even of "good liberals" who are otherwise staunchly anti-rape. Just recently I witnessed an acquaintance express qualms about sharing memes about Trump associates being assaulted in prison, employing the rationalisation "I don't really think about them as rape jokes". Regardless whether you think of rape as the "point" of the joke, it still normalises a status quo where rape is considered an acceptable punishment.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2018-12-13, 16:16

And of course, no one asks the victims what they think should be done, instead they are used as pawns.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

md0

Postby md0 » 2018-12-15, 9:37

Continuing on the Greek case...
I think we can describe what's going on here Jesuswashing. The Hellenic murder suspect is getting a very interesting treatment from a chunk of the media (including mainstream sources): Between the murder and now, he found Jesus and has become a totally different person, very pious but also on the verge of a mental breakdown. The Albanian suspect remains "unremorseful", "not convincing", and "clearly aware of being guilty", to use some of the descriptions used by the media.
https://www.kar.org.gr/2018/12/14/epicheirisi-xeplyma/

So much for justice for the victim and her family. If your murderer is Hellenic, it was probably your fault :roll:

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-01-23, 21:11

A recent study of sexual harassment complaints in Australia found that 16% of the reports were made by men. In over two-thirds of those cases, the accused harasser was male meaning that overall men were accused of harassment nine times more often than women.

I thought this would be an interesting addition to the discussion of sex-linked toxic behaviours.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-02-20, 17:07

I didn't realise that not only was there a sculpture made of the famous kiss in Times Square following the end of WWII but that there are versions of it mounted around the world. A few days ago, George Mendonsa, the sailor featured in it, died. The next day, someone spraypainted "#metoo" on the original sculpture in Sarasota, FL. I posted about this today and found out that quite a few friends did not realise that Greta Zimmer Friedman, the woman pictured (a dental assistant and not a nurse, as many have assumed) clearly stated in a 2005 interview that she did not consent to the kiss, that it was forced upon her against her will and, hence, was an act of sexual assault.

The real kicker is that the sculpture is titled "Unconditional Surrender". I get the heebie-jeebies just thinking about that.

md0

Postby md0 » 2019-02-22, 6:26

linguoboy wrote:A recent study of sexual harassment complaints in Australia found that 16% of the reports were made by men. In over two-thirds of those cases, the accused harasser was male meaning that overall men were accused of harassment nine times more often than women.

I thought this would be an interesting addition to the discussion of sex-linked toxic behaviours.

It seems like women as sexual harassers are only relatively common in education, possibly because that's a professional field were a lot of women work in and have positions of authority. I think there's something into that correlation, and it's probably a more tenable link than just reducing it to biology.

What I would be interested in is a study on the attitudes of men and women against male victims of sexual abuse by female victimisers.

md0

Postby md0 » 2019-04-25, 19:28

Everyday I am waking to increasingly more horrifying news from Cyprus. There's this guy, an army officer, who was arranging dates online with migrant women (employed in the "domestic worker" sector of the economy, quasi-slaves), having sex with them, and killing them afterwards, because, as he has confessed, he was deriving sexual pleasure from them. The women, and in two cases, their very young daughters, were missing at least since 2016, but the police didn't bother to really investigate them since now, when a tourist accidentally found the first body in a flooded mineshaft. Police simply treated the women as "fled Cyprus via the occupied areas" and left it at that.
As many as 7 women are presumed killed by this man. One body identified, a second one confirmed by his admission, a third one linked by digital evidence, and the rest came up during interrogation.
https://cyprus-mail.com/2019/04/25/thir ... many-as-7/

Edit: Unsurprisingly, the murderer was a self-professed anti-feminist online https://fstoppers.com/comment/327064
You see, Nicole, here's the problem. Right now you are admitting to being smaller, weaker (men are "bigger and stronger ", your words), and hence that, require different things in different situations.
But the whole feminist propaganda is all about EQUALITY.
Well, you just can't have it both ways, so make up your mind. If weaker and smaller means different treatment, it means different treatment a-l-w-a-y-s.
You just can't have equality whenever it suits best and special treatment whenever you feel like it.
Equality means you will be treated like men are. And if a man was bitching online and writing "open letters" about having sexual advances in work, he would get his head bitten off, metaphorically. So,this is the same response i give to the bitchy OP.
Welcome to equality

md0

Postby md0 » 2019-05-05, 4:06

Racist, or too drunk to form coherent thoughts again?
President of RoC
«Έχω εκφράσει τη λύπη μου, έχω εκφράσει τη συγγνώμη μου, εμείς τολμήσαμε και ζητήσαμε συγγνώμη, ανεξάρτητα αν τα θύματα ήταν αλλοδαπές. Κάποιοι δεν ήθελαν και δεν ζήτησαν ακόμα συγγνώμη από τους 13 ήρωες που κυριολεκτικά από πράξεις και παραλείψεις τους, τους οδήγησαν στον θάνατο. Και είναι αυτοί που μας κρίνουν»
I have stated my grief, I have given my apology, we dared to make an apology, even though the victims were migrant women. Some didn't want to, and didn't apologise to the 13 heroes they caused to die because of their actions and omissions. They are now the ones to judge us.

md0

Postby md0 » 2019-06-29, 12:12

> Guy breaks up with woman
> Guy steals his dad's hunting rifle and goes to a shooting range to make a scene
> Guy's dad calls family, friends, and ex-girlfriend to go to the shooting range and try to calm down the guy
> Guy sees ex-girlfriend and immediately shoots her dead, then kills himself
> Main newssite runs the story with the headline: "That's how she armed the 35-year old - She, aged 26, was a mother of a minor"

As for how she armed the guy, the newssite justifies it thus: recently the 26 year old woman took the decision to end their relationship.

A less mainstream news source ran this title: Petros and Sofia died together - The victims of a love that perhaps remained unrequited.
In the text of their article, they ask "what lead to this sexual tragedy?"

Pure ideology.

And the first comment under the article:
What a pretty girl. It's a pity. There should be official education given to girl on how to handle extreme circumstances like that. They are helpless, their mind doesn't recognise how badly those things can go.

:roll: :roll:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-07-03, 4:27

How much is known about whether the victims or perpetrators of rape are men or women? I know a man (well, online) who is a survivor of rape, and seeing what he had to say about this is making me wonder about it. Are women victims more often than men or vice versa? Are women perpetrators more often than men or vice versa? Or are men and women equally likely to be victims/perpetrators of rape? To what extent do we know one way or the other?

md0

Postby md0 » 2019-07-03, 6:28

There are police figures of course, but there are all sorts of reporting biases at play. If women are discouraged by cultural beliefs 1x, men are discouraged many times over.
Also, wasn't the FBI definition of rape gender-specific until recently?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-07-03, 14:34

md0 wrote:Also, wasn't the FBI definition of rape gender-specific until recently?

Until 2013.

md0

Postby md0 » 2019-07-03, 14:58

Considering that the annexation of Crimea feels recent to me, my hunch was very accurate.

Return to “Politics and Religion”