[Split] Sexism

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: [Split] Sexism

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-07-03, 15:13

I would definitely consider 2013 recent.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-07-03, 15:15

vijayjohn wrote:I would definitely consider 2013 recent.

It's all contextual and 2013 is awfully damn late to be acknowledging that men get raped, too.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-07-03, 16:59

50 BC is too late to acknowledge that.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-07-03, 18:02

Asterix shoulda had an issue about rape and gender! :o

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2019-09-20, 6:24

This was uncomfortable to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOEeZMaDnzU
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-09-20, 23:14

Yeah, I agree, sexism is pretty cringey. Unfortunately, it's very common all over the world. You know, like to this lady, also walking in broad daylight, a little over 200 miles away from where you apparently live right now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1XGPvbWn0A
But apparently, it only matters if it happens outside our country. Sad.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2019-09-21, 23:47

vijayjohn wrote:But apparently, it only matters if it happens outside our country.

What gave you that idea?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-09-25, 23:26

Yasna wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:But apparently, it only matters if it happens outside our country.

What gave you that idea?

Isn't it more concerning if something you don't approve of happens in your own country than if it happens elsewhere? Especially when people from your country have, ironically, been criticizing such things happening in other countries for decades.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2019-09-26, 0:29

vijayjohn wrote:Isn't it more concerning if something you don't approve of happens in your own country than if it happens elsewhere? Especially when people from your country have, ironically, been criticizing such things happening in other countries for decades.

Yes, and how do you get from that to "apparently it only matters if it happens outside our country"?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-09-26, 3:12

Yasna wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Isn't it more concerning if something you don't approve of happens in your own country than if it happens elsewhere? Especially when people from your country have, ironically, been criticizing such things happening in other countries for decades.

Yes, and how do you get from that to "apparently it only matters if it happens outside our country"?

You posted a video about walking alone as a woman in Cairo and said it was uncomfortable to watch without saying anything about walking alone as a woman anywhere in the US. I take away from that that you think sexism in Cairo is somehow more important than sexism in your own country.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2019-09-26, 21:16

vijayjohn wrote:You posted a video about walking alone as a woman in Cairo and said it was uncomfortable to watch without saying anything about walking alone as a woman anywhere in the US. I take away from that that you think sexism in Cairo is somehow more important than sexism in your own country.

Ah, so basically a у вас негров линчуют.

For the record, I don't ascribe more importance to the sexism in Cairo, but I do think it is of a somewhat different kind and thus interesting. Note for example that the Cairo video is filmed in a single take.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-09-26, 23:25

Yasna wrote:Ah, so basically a у вас негров линчуют.

No. If anyone's getting lynched in your country, that means they're getting lynched in my country.

I was basically saying you're missing the forest for the trees.
For the record, I don't ascribe more importance to the sexism in Cairo, but I do think it is of a somewhat different kind and thus interesting. Note for example that the Cairo video is filmed in a single take.

Okay, I take that back: You're missing the forest and the trees. Even in the video you posted, one of the people who made it explicitly says "sexism is a global issue." That's the whole point. It's not specifically Cairo. Cairo is just an example.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2019-09-27, 20:30

vijayjohn wrote:You posted a video about walking alone as a woman in Cairo and said it was uncomfortable to watch without saying anything about walking alone as a woman anywhere in the US. I take away from that that you think sexism in Cairo is somehow more important than sexism in your own country.

So any time I mention sexism, corruption, homophobia, militarism, nationalism, ageism, or any other social ill of another country, I must then mention a parallel situation in the US or else the assumption is that I think the social ill is less important in the US? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Okay, I take that back: You're missing the forest and the trees. Even in the video you posted, one of the people who made it explicitly says "sexism is a global issue." That's the whole point. It's not specifically Cairo. Cairo is just an example.

Wait. You are so utterly clueless about sexism that you think it doesn't take on varying forms depending on the cultural context where it is manifested?

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2019-09-29, 19:28

Yasna wrote:Wait. You are so utterly clueless about sexism that you think it doesn't take on varying forms depending on the cultural context where it is manifested?

Yasna wrote:For the record, I don't ascribe more importance to the sexism in Cairo, but I do think it is of a somewhat different kind and thus interesting. Note for example that the Cairo video is filmed in a single take.

Of course sexism as a whole can take different forms depending on the context, cultural or any other kind. But these videos are about street harassment. How is that any different? Being stared at, catcalling, and the like happen everywhere. Videos like that can and have been filmed all over the world.

md0

Postby md0 » 2019-09-30, 5:20

Yasna likes to pretend we have never seen his posts before and so we have to play Socrates every time to make him reveal what we actually thinks. The thing is, we have, we can read between the lines, and it's either "feminism is not needed in the west" or "feminists in the west have allied themselves with the antifeminists of the east" in this case.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2019-09-30, 16:40

Aurinĭa wrote:Of course sexism as a whole can take different forms depending on the context, cultural or any other kind. But these videos are about street harassment. How is that any different? Being stared at, catcalling, and the like happen everywhere. Videos like that can and have been filmed all over the world.

I don't know what it's like in Belgium, but the intensity of the Cairo video was unlike anything I've ever witnessed around here. (I've taken notice of how men around here react to attractive women in these situations)

md0 wrote:Yasna likes to pretend we have never seen his posts before and so we have to play Socrates every time to make him reveal what we actually thinks. The thing is, we have, we can read between the lines, and it's either "feminism is not needed in the west" or "feminists in the west have allied themselves with the antifeminists of the east" in this case.

Your mind-reading is way off the mark as always. But don't let that stop you. There's always some sexism/racism/fascism to be found between the lines if you look hard enough.

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2019-09-30, 17:37

Yasna wrote:
Aurinĭa wrote:Of course sexism as a whole can take different forms depending on the context, cultural or any other kind. But these videos are about street harassment. How is that any different? Being stared at, catcalling, and the like happen everywhere. Videos like that can and have been filmed all over the world.

I don't know what it's like in Belgium, but the intensity of the Cairo video was unlike anything I've ever witnessed around here. (I've taken notice of how men around here react to attractive women in these situations).

Might that be because you (presumably) look male, making you less far likely to be the subject of sexual harassment on the street? So you'd also be less likely to notice (even if you've "taken notice of how men around there react to attractive women").

Some years ago a documentary was made about street harassment in Brussels. A lot of men were shocked at the intensity and the frequency of the harassment the documentary maker encountered, whereas many women were not in the least surprised.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-10-04, 6:54

Do y'all think this thread would be appropriate to talk about men being sexually harassed and/or raped? I get the impression that people just generally don't talk enough about sexual harassment or rape, but even when they do, it's mainly (if not exclusively) about situations where men are the perpetrators/aggressors and women are the victims.

md0

Postby md0 » 2019-10-04, 7:55

I absolutely think that sexual assault of men is downplayed and ignored, and I'm particularly concerned with domestic sexual abuse in gay relationships. I do think that this issue can be discussed under the Sexism or the Feminism threads.
The belief that a man always wants to have sex is definitely sexist, and feminism is an ideology that liberates men from a lot of social expectations that lead to their sexual abuse being trivialised.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-10-06, 2:28

Thanks! I find that people don't talk much about men abusing women, but they talk about that more than about men abusing other men. Even when they talk about men abusing other men, it's not usually about domestic sexual abuse in gay relationships; in fact, the only case I specifically remember having read about recently was sexual abuse within the Boy Scouts (although I did once see a video from Buzzfeed or something that mentioned abuse in gay relationships, too). I get the impression that people talk especially rarely about women abusing men, I think even more than about abusive gay relationships.

Return to “Politics and Religion”