According to the Bible, the stars will fall from the sky whe

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
Mars80

According to the Bible, the stars will fall from the sky whe

Postby Mars80 » 2013-09-09, 3:07

According to the Bible, the stars will fall from the sky when Jesus returns. Just how is it possible for the stars to fall from the sky? That can't happen, can it?

Lauren

Re: According to the Bible, the stars will fall from the sky whe

Postby Lauren » 2013-09-09, 3:27

Back when it was written, it was widely believed that the stars formed an inverse sphere around the Earth, thus they were all equally distanced from the surface. But science has proved that the stars are many lightyears away from Earth, so this can not happen.

This is but one of the many illogical and impossible events described in the Bible.
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

Bijlee

Postby Bijlee » 2013-09-09, 4:36

Mars80 wrote:According to the Bible, the stars will fall from the sky when Jesus returns. Just how is it possible for the stars to fall from the sky? That can't happen, can it?

Even looking past things like how much more massive any star is compared to Earth(not to mention all billiontrillionwhatever of them), or how little effect they even have on Earth at such great distances, there's just no room for the stars here...:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHiHFXtE0js
(Who doesn't love a size comparison video? :mrgreen:)
I'd be more worried about the entirety of the United States "falling" to you or me than the stars to Earth.

Anyway, you'd have better luck asking this on a Christian forum. On a whole, people here are fairly irreligious...
Most Christians would probably just tell you it's a metaphor or that it's talking about a freaky meteor shower or something though.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-09-09, 15:46

Mars80 wrote:According to the Bible, the stars will fall from the sky when Jesus returns. Just how is it possible for the stars to fall from the sky? That can't happen, can it?

If you're worried about your property being destroyed by falling stars during the Second Coming, I will gladly offer you insurance against all star-related damaged at extremely reasonable rates.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

md0

Postby md0 » 2013-09-09, 16:00

Why do I think that those threads lately come from a postcount-improving handbook?
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)Elementary Finnish (fi)
For fun: Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)

Jurgen Wullenwever

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2013-09-10, 19:29

If Jesus can return, why would not not the stars be able to fall? :?

Besides, such things can be interpreted in a less literal way, such as modern war bombings.

Some Christians saw Chernobyl 1986 as something about a star prophesied in the Bible, but other Christians hold that as a mistranslation.
Chekhov wrote:I don't know about naive worldviews, but Jurgen Wullenwhatever pisses me off to no end because of his extreme pessimism and cynicism. You'd think the world was going to end imminently when talking to that guy.

Jag är rebell: jag sockrar teet, saltar maten, cyklar utan hjälm, och tänder glödlampor.
(Ovanstående var förut, nu försöker jag minska sockret och saltet.)

dkatbena

Postby dkatbena » 2013-09-23, 2:25

It is a symbolic star! I believe it will happen.
Kapionan ey mangyedi de inoman a manoloson de benal a Makyedyepat! eye a Makyedyepat.

joancarles

Postby joancarles » 2013-09-28, 0:58

People would be so worried about stars falling on their heads that I don't think anyone would care whether Jesus, Mahoma or Xenu were coming back or going to a bbq.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2013-09-30, 10:12

joancarles wrote:People would be so worried about stars falling on their heads that I don't think anyone would care whether Jesus, Mahoma or Xenu were coming back or going to a bbq.

:lol: That was a good comment. And likely true.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Lur

Postby Lur » 2013-09-30, 14:57

Geurea dena lapurtzen uzteagatik, geure izaerari uko egiteagatik.

Return to “Politics and Religion”