The Syrian conflict

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
linguoboy

The Syrian conflict

Postby linguoboy » 2013-08-30, 15:49

If you've just started to pay attention to the Syrian conflict now that the US is talking about air strikes and you're wondering what the hell it's all about, you could do worse than to read this article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/08/29/9-questions-about-syria-you-were-too-embarrassed-to-ask/.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

language learner

Re: The Syrian conflict

Postby language learner » 2013-08-30, 17:53

I was wondering already why hasn't anyone written about this.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-08-30, 18:26

азъбукывѣдѣ wrote:I was wondering already why hasn't anyone written about this.

Every time I think about the situation, I get so depressed by it I immediately want to find something else--anything else--to focus on instead.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2013-08-30, 23:16

I was about to open one myself, more of the "what do you think of the conflict in Syria" kind.
Which makes me think why I didn't intend to do that while it was raging during the last couple of years... I guess because it was part of the "Arab Spring (?)", things were happening in several other countries - and what's worse, chemical weapons came into play.
Native languages: Hebrew (he) & English (en)
My language pages: http://babelfish.50webs.com/

מן המקום בו אנו צודקים לא יפרחו לעולם פרחים באביב (יהודה עמיחי)
From the place where we are in the right, flowers will never grow in the spring (Yhuda Amihay)

language learner

Postby language learner » 2013-08-31, 15:40

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2013-08-31, 16:10

Any thoughts about this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz-s2AAh06I
Please correct my mistakes!

Marah

Postby Marah » 2013-08-31, 16:42

I've heard about it. It's very fishy...

Also, I don't know about you but somehow Bashar al-Assad being behind the chemical weapons attack of August 21 doesn't make sense. Why would he do something like that while he was winning the war? Knowing that it was a big no-no for the West? With UN inspectors in the country? Or he is just really, really stupid.
Par exemple, l'enfant croit au Père Noël. L'adulte non. L'adulte ne croit pas au Père Noël. Il vote.

JackFrost
Forum Administrator

Postby JackFrost » 2013-08-31, 18:44

Marah wrote:I've heard about it. It's very fishy... Also, I don't know about you but somehow Bashar al-Assad being behind the chemical weapons attack of August 21 doesn't make sense.

What to be explained? He's a strongman who doesn't want to give up power. You know, he even manages a secret police, so that should tell you what he's willing to do to the population if it doesn't obey.

Why would he do something like that while he was winning the war?

You can never be sure until it's done.

Knowing that it was a big no-no for the West? With UN inspectors in the country? Or he is just really, really stupid.

Probably. Dictators can fuck up badly sometimes.

EDIT: I'm not saying it was him or the other side. I still do not know what to make of it really.
Last edited by JackFrost on 2013-08-31, 18:54, edited 2 times in total.
Neferuj paħujkij!

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2013-08-31, 18:48

Unless he isn't behind it, like some suggested. Some said it might have come from his side, but that it wasn't his order. Really, I find it far too messy to act upon. Common sense probably isn't used in such a situation by anyone.
Please correct my mistakes!

Marah

Postby Marah » 2013-08-31, 18:58

Jackfrost wrote:You can never be sure until it's done.

Still, I don't see the point in using chemical weapons. 100,000 people died there, no one did anything, why risk it all for 500 civilian casualties?
Maybe he wanted to frighten the rebels? But anyway, the more chemical weapons they use the more likely it gets that the West can prove it and intervene. That's not really clever.
Par exemple, l'enfant croit au Père Noël. L'adulte non. L'adulte ne croit pas au Père Noël. Il vote.

JackFrost
Forum Administrator

Postby JackFrost » 2013-08-31, 19:05

Why even try to rationalize the mind of a dictator? It's a common trait for them to be sporadic.
Neferuj paħujkij!

Ludwig Whitby

Postby Ludwig Whitby » 2013-08-31, 19:15

JackFrost wrote:Why even try to rationalize the mind of a dictator? It's a common trait for them to be sporadic.

Right. So your proof would be the fact that he's a dictator?

JackFrost
Forum Administrator

Postby JackFrost » 2013-08-31, 19:24

Oh now, you're just dicking around with me. I'm not falling for that.
Neferuj paħujkij!

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2013-08-31, 19:30

JackFrost wrote:Why even try to rationalize the mind of a dictator? It's a common trait for them to be sporadic.

Got anything to back that claim up? Didn't think so.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

JackFrost
Forum Administrator

Postby JackFrost » 2013-08-31, 19:41

No, I don't really have one particularly for him, so my bad. Gaddafi on the other hand...
Neferuj paħujkij!

Ludwig Whitby

Postby Ludwig Whitby » 2013-08-31, 20:31

JackFrost wrote:No, I don't really have one particularly for him, so my bad. Gaddafi on the other hand...

...isn't the president of Syria and has very little to do with the Syrian conflict.

JackFrost
Forum Administrator

Postby JackFrost » 2013-08-31, 21:13

...isn't the president of Syria

You don't say!

You didn't understand me right.
Neferuj paħujkij!

Ludwig Whitby

Postby Ludwig Whitby » 2013-09-01, 2:02

JackFrost wrote:
...isn't the president of Syria

You don't say!

You didn't understand me right.

Ok. Help me understand. So far I'm thinking that you consider Gadafi's crazyness to be somehow relevant to the Syrian conflict. He was a crazy dictator so Assad, being a dictator, must be crazy too? Or what?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-09-01, 3:14

The last thing the occurs to me when I look at Bashar al-Assad is "crazy dictator". I just see a nerdy ophthalmologist way out of his depth.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-09-01, 6:05

I don't think Assad is crazy. At least, he's never made a bunch of insane pronouncements in public like Qaddafi did.
Also, I don't know about you but somehow Bashar al-Assad being behind the chemical weapons attack of August 21 doesn't make sense. Why would he do something like that while he was winning the war? Knowing that it was a big no-no for the West? With UN inspectors in the country? Or he is just really, really stupid.
He may be winning at the moment but the longer the conflict drags on, the greater the likelihood of him losing and the more devastated Syria will be if he manages to hold onto power. Maybe he thought he could end the war quickly and get away with it by blaming it on the rebels. Maybe he had nothing to do with it. There are a lot of possibilities here.

Return to “Politics and Religion”