Best and worst neighbour

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
Levike
Best and worst neighbour

Postby Levike » 2013-06-22, 21:29

So according to your personal and sincere opinion:

In the last years which country has been the best neigbour of your country?
And which has been the worst?

And please explain why. :hmm:

IpseDixit

Re: Best and worst neighbour

Postby IpseDixit » 2013-06-22, 22:22

Worst: Vatican City State. The Vatican lobby should keep their fucking hands off Italian politics. Oh, and it would also be nice if the Vatican bank stopped laundering money for mafia :roll: ...

Best: anyone else except for San Marino... another money sucking parasite listed on the black list of financial and fiscal havens (alongside the Vatican :roll: )... I have some issues with Switzerland as well to be honest...

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-06-23, 3:12

Best: Mexico
Worst: Canada
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-06-23, 4:17

linguoboy wrote:Best: Mexico
I know, right? All those drugs and illegal immigrants coming into the country - when will they get off their asses and fix the border?
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-06-23, 4:35

mōdgethanc wrote:
linguoboy wrote:Best: Mexico
I know, right? All those drugs and illegal immigrants coming into the country - when will they get off their asses and fix the border?

It's not "the border" we need to fix; it's our drugs and immigration policies.

All I know is I'll take Peña Nieto over Harper any dingdang day of the week.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-06-23, 5:11

linguoboy wrote:All I know is I'll take Peña Nieto over Harper any dingdang day of the week.
Don't blame me; I voted for the other guy.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Limagne

Postby Limagne » 2013-06-23, 6:57

Best: Switzerland, because I like how it is the opposite of France in many ways (federalism, multilingualism, neutrality...).

Worst: the Comoros, because it's basically a failed state.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-06-23, 7:19

Sorry, Comoros being a failed state affects you how, exactly?

For what it's worth, Comoros scores better on the FSI than the Phillipines and only slightly worse than Israel. At least it's not Somalia.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Saim

Postby Saim » 2013-06-23, 10:37

These are the most common attitudes I come across in the countries I know best, although I don't necessarily share them:

[flag]ur[/flag]
Best: China (big brother)
Worst: India, Afghanistan (refugees, they hate us 'cause we meddle)

[flag]en-AU[/flag]
Best: New Zealand (Anglos)
Worst: Indonesia ("stop the boats!!!!")

[flag]sr[/flag]
Best: Montenegro (Serbia with beach), Macedonia (Serbianized mini-Bulgaria, they also hate Albanians), Greece (not Slavs, but Orthodox, and have a territorial conflict with Albanians)
Worst: Albania ("Kosovo je Srbija!!!"), Croatia

and for added bonus:

[flag]ca[/flag]
Best: Occitania (Visca la Vall d'Aran!), Balearic Islands ("insular Catalonia" :P )
Worst: Castile (opressors), Aragon ("jealous they haven't preserved their language"), France (opressors), Andorra ("they ignore us!"), Valencian Country ("they're all a bunch of Spaniards"), Basque Country ("damn them and their higher level of self-government!")

Regarding my own opinion, I think Pakistani Punjab, Serbia and Australia have all been bad neighbours more than they've had bad neighbours.

-[flag]ur[/flag] Punjab monopolizes all the power in the Pakistani State, and the Pakistani State brutally opresses Balochistan, and constantly meddles in Afghanistan. Enough dick-waving contests with India.

-[flag]sr[/flag] needs to get over its territorial conflicts with Albanians, Croats and Bosniaks and its inferiority complex with the West. Yes there was oluja in Croatia, and Serbs in Kosovo have been discriminated against, but Serbs have done worse.

-[flag]en-AU[/flag] needs to stop whining about boats.

-[flag]ca[/flag] nationalists need to realize that the Basque Right is no worse than the Catalan Right in terms of solidarity between Spanish national minorities, and that its not the Aragonese or Valencians that are the problem but rather those that happen to be xenophobic Spanish nationalists.

IpseDixit wrote:Worst: Vatican City State. The Vatican lobby should keep their fucking hands off Italian politics. Oh, and it would also be nice if the Vatican bank stopped laundering money for mafia :roll: ...

Ideally it shouldn't even be a state. Victor Emmanuel II had the right idea.

Lur

Postby Lur » 2013-06-23, 14:03

They should invade and annexionate the Vatican and everything within it.
Geurea dena lapurtzen uzteagatik, geure izaerari uko egiteagatik.

Saaropean

Postby Saaropean » 2013-06-23, 14:14

I don't think you can define a best and worst neighbour for Germany and Canada.

For [flag]en-ca[/flag] Canada, it doesn't work because it only has 1 neighbour [flag]en-us[/flag] (SPM and Greenland only count for geeks).

For [flag]de[/flag] Germany, it doesn't work because she ignores most of her 9 neighbours [flag]dk[/flag] [flag]pl[/flag] [flag]cs[/flag] [flag]de-at[/flag] [flag]de-ch[/flag] [flag]fr[/flag] [flag]lb[/flag] [flag]fr-be[/flag] [flag]nl[/flag] (in the double sense of not knowing and not caring much about them, except if you happen to live near a border, but then you only know your direct neighbour).

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-06-23, 14:18

Lur wrote:They should invade and annexionate the Vatican and everything within it.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-06-23, 14:28

mōdgethanc wrote:
Lur wrote:They should invade and annexionate the Vatican and everything within it.

I like "annexionate". It makes me imagine they've assigned the job to Trogdor.

Itikar

Postby Itikar » 2013-06-23, 15:32

Actually they did. Thank Mr. Mussolini for giving back a sovereign state to the Roman Catholic Church. :?

As for the topic:
Austria/France: disputes about illegal immigration and border control.
Switzerland: offers safe haven for Italian tax dodgers and politicians' bank accounts.
San Marino: same as Switzerland, but at least we surround it from every side.
Vatican: same as San Marino and Switzerland, plus it puts its nose in Italian affairs as said by IpseDixit. However it has cool coins, cool post marks and cool signs written in Latin.
Slovenia: for exclusion it is the best neighbour. They even sell fuel at a lower price. Only pay attention to the motorway ticket, because it is even more expensive than the Swiss one.
Fletto i muscoli e sono nel vuoto!
All corrections are welcome and appreciated.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2013-06-23, 17:41

Itikar wrote:

Actually they did. Thank Mr. Mussolini for giving back a sovereign state to the Roman Catholic Church. :?

I've never understood why this didn't change with the end of the war and the defeat of the fascists.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2013-06-23, 19:00

[flag]ro[/flag] This is for Romania

Best: Bulgaria because everyone goes there for holiday. We love Bulgaria. 8-)

Worst: Hungary because this is the only neighbour that sometimes causes problems. :twisted:
I don't remember having problems with the other ones.
Last edited by Levike on 2013-06-23, 19:54, edited 1 time in total.

Jurgen Wullenwever

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2013-06-23, 19:32

Saaropean wrote:I don't think you can define a best and worst neighbour for Germany and Canada.

For [flag]en-ca[/flag] Canada, it doesn't work because it only has 1 neighbour [flag]en-us[/flag] (SPM and Greenland only count for geeks).

For [flag]de[/flag] Germany, it doesn't work because she ignores most of her 9 neighbours [flag]dk[/flag] [flag]pl[/flag] [flag]cs[/flag] [flag]de-at[/flag] [flag]de-ch[/flag] [flag]fr[/flag] [flag]lb[/flag] [flag]fr-be[/flag] [flag]nl[/flag] (in the double sense of not knowing and not caring much about them, except if you happen to live near a border, but then you only know your direct neighbour).

In Sweden we know nothing of our neighboring states, and we share a border with Germany too, but the Germans know more about Sweden than we do about Germany. At least Germany has rose-tinted TV shows about Sweden.
Chekhov wrote:I don't know about naive worldviews, but Jurgen Wullenwhatever pisses me off to no end because of his extreme pessimism and cynicism. You'd think the world was going to end imminently when talking to that guy.

Jag är rebell: jag sockrar teet, saltar maten, cyklar utan hjälm, och tänder glödlampor.
(Ovanstående var förut, nu försöker jag minska sockret och saltet, och har gett upp mejeriprodukter.)

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2013-06-23, 20:14

I guess it goes without saying that Russia is the "worst" neighbour for Finland. It doesn't share many of our ideals, and it has a history of being unable to keep its hands to itself. However, our relations are still cordially optimistic. We get a lot of rich Russian tourists, and a lot of Russians also move here. As a resident minority they're pretty invisible and friendly and don't cause any particular problems. Probably some Finns treat them pretty bad even so, because of our historical russophobia. They probably get called bad names occasionally.

The best neighbour? I don't know, probably Norway, since most of the time we hear absolutely nothing about it. :P A sign of a lack of problems, I guess. But sweden is the one we interact with and talk about the most, and also try to emulate a lot of the time.

Itikar

Postby Itikar » 2013-06-23, 21:07

IpseDixit wrote:I've never understood why this didn't change with the end of the war and the defeat of the fascists.

Me neither, along with the lese-majesty law.
Likely they were both useful for the elites who ruled our land in the aftermath.
Fletto i muscoli e sono nel vuoto!
All corrections are welcome and appreciated.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2013-06-23, 22:05

Jurgen Wullenwever wrote:In Sweden we know nothing of our neighboring states, and we share a border with Germany too.

You share a border with Germany? Really?? Where exactly?

Return to “Politics and Religion”