Double Citizenship

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
Levike
Re: Double Citizenship

Postby Levike » 2013-05-15, 19:13

I don't see why a Romanian living in Italy
should vote for the next president of Romania since he depends on the Italian goverment.

Or I don't see why I should vote in the Hungarian elections
because if I don't live there then whatever those politicians promise
their future decisions will not affect me.

I say that the only ones who should be allowed to vote are those who live in that country
because only their lives are going to be affected by those results.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-05-16, 3:22

I don't know what it's like for citizens of other countries, but American citizens living abroad still have to pay Federal taxes (and are still under the protection of the Federal government). I couldn't possibly begrudge them a voice in how those taxes were spent.

BTW, I was an American citizen living in Europe during the (First) Gulf War. I laugh at the suggestion that only those living in the States were affected by the decisions President Bush (the First) made.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

JackFrost

Postby JackFrost » 2013-05-16, 5:24

Unless there is a treaty. Since I'm just an average guy, I'm not subject to US taxes while being a Canadian resident. Tough luck for the wealthy.
Neferuj paħujkij!

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2013-06-01, 15:40

I don't like Bosnian-Herzegovinian Croats voting in Croatian elections, they always vote for right wing nationalistic parties. All Bosnians/Herzegovinan of Croatian ethnicity have double citizenship, but it's not fair for them to vote here. They don't pay taxes in Croatia, so they shouldn't be permitted to vote.
(Swiss Germans don't vote in Germany nor do Francophone Belgians/Swiss vote in France). Everytime when there are elections hordes of voting tourist buses flood border crossings and border towns. :roll:
It was them who decided the winner of the 2007 elections (that 5 % of votes going to right wing HDZ ''Croatian Democratic Community'' [in blue on the map] party was crucial):

विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

ffrench

Postby ffrench » 2013-06-01, 23:59

Levente.Maier wrote:I don't see why a Romanian living in Italy
should vote for the next president of Romania since he depends on the Italian goverment.

Or I don't see why I should vote in the Hungarian elections
because if I don't live there then whatever those politicians promise
their future decisions will not affect me.

I say that the only ones who should be allowed to vote are those who live in that country
because only their lives are going to be affected by those results.

But what if they're living abroad temporarily? As soon as they return, those political decisions will affect them.

I'm also a Hungarian national, and I'm considering voting in the next elections. I care about the country and I may well live there in future. It's not necessarily a whim.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2013-06-02, 9:36

TeneReef wrote:I don't like Bosnian-Herzegovinian Croats voting in Croatian elections, they always vote for right wing nationalistic parties. All Bosnians/Herzegovinan of Croatian ethnicity have double citizenship, but it's not fair for them to vote here. They don't pay taxes in Croatia, so they shouldn't be permitted to vote.

A similar thing happens with Bosnian and Kosovan Serbs who've moved to Vojvodina or Central Serbia. They inevitably vote for right-wing nationalist parties, and unfortunately there is a Serbianization of Vojvodina going on now because of these refugees, the loss of autonomy and the movement of Hungarians into more and more compact areas towards the north, which could be more easily annexed to Hungary than the traditional more disperse populations.

Not really relevant to dual citizenship, but there sure are parallels I've noticed. I imagine Bosnian, Kosovan, Croatian, etc. Serbs do have Serbian citizenship, and would probably do the same thing as the migrants I talked about above in terms of voting patterns...

Levike

Postby Levike » 2013-06-02, 9:51

ffrench wrote:But what if they're living abroad temporarily? As soon as they return, those political decisions will affect them.

I'm also a Hungarian national, and I'm considering voting in the next elections. I care about the country and I may well live there in future. It's not necessarily a whim.

I don't know why but Hungary offers citizenship for every Hungarian-speaking person
even if they never lived there and are not planning to move there.
But as a Transylvanian Hungarian I don't see any point in voting in the Hungarian elections
because I never lived there and I'm not planning to do so.

If they have a permanent residency there then it's okay.
If a Romanian moved to Italy and planes to stay like 5 years and then to return
then it's okay to vote.

Levo

Postby Levo » 2013-06-03, 9:59

Levente.Maier wrote:
ffrench wrote:But what if they're living abroad temporarily? As soon as they return, those political decisions will affect them.

I don't know why but Hungary offers citizenship for every Hungarian-speaking person
even if they never lived there and are not planning to move there.
But as a Transylvanian Hungarian I don't see any point in voting in the Hungarian elections
because I never lived there and I'm not planning to do so.

If they have a permanent residency there then it's okay.
If a Romanian moved to Italy and planes to stay like 5 years and then to return
then it's okay to vote.

Levente,
I don't know how often you come to Hungary, or which university you are studiying at or plan to,
but many overborder Hungarians are happy with citizenship possibility.

Many Hungarians in Vojvodina for example, but I can imagine the same in Ukraine for example, don't have a proper tertiary education in Hungarian in their homeland. So they come to Hungary instead. Each time they travel home and want to come back to the university on Sunday, they have a very humiliating process of border-controls at EU border, as they are not part of the "country". While they speak the same language as the border guard, culturally very similar, etc...
Also, they have more access to proper education with being citizens. I guess there are good EU-funds or even the Norwegian fund to fund their Hungarian education at Hungarian universities. It is much easier this way.

Those who don't need Hungarian education, and don't want to come to the country simply don't apply Hungarian citizenship. Everyone is happy.

Note, that Hungary has been struggling with decreasing population since 1979 and a fastly narrowing work-age population. Pure business or not, but our country has a unique opportunity to fill in that gap with immigrants with the same native language and similar cultural background. (And if you ask me, overborder Hungarians are usually even more down-to-earth and less the complaining type than homeland ones, which is good for our society)

Return to “Politics and Religion”