Feminism

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
Lur

Re: Feminism

Postby Lur » 2013-04-27, 20:30

mōdgethanc wrote:
Well men are cast into the hyperagent role so it wouldn't surprise me in the slightless.
Which is a fancy way of saying men are supposed to make the first move, or as TvTropes says, Men Act, Women Are. (Also shades of All Men Are Perverts and All Women Are Prudes.)

I was actually thinking on some of these tropes. This kind of stuff always makes me think on tvtropes at some point :lol:

mōdgethanc wrote:
Wanna talk phonology? :lol:
Sure. How do you think the prosody of women differs from that of men due to enforced gender roles?

No idea, frankly.
Geurea dena lapurtzen uzteagatik, geure izaerari uko egiteagatik.

Garethw87

Postby Garethw87 » 2013-04-27, 21:07

Great your female, I'm male. Big deal. Get over it
TIKAI RIGA
Native:[flag=]en-GB[/flag] - Full time:[flag=]fr[/flag][flag=]de[/flag] - Casual:[flag=]yue.hant[/flag] - Eventually:[flag=]lv[/flag][flag=]lu[/flag][flag=]zh[/flag]

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-04-27, 22:24

Good, but these people aren't even abiding by the official Unilang General Topics Creed: "All posts must use the word 'privilege' or some equivalent at least five times in total."

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2013-04-28, 16:14

I must add, that particular strip is my creation. And there goes my only reason to post in this thread.

johnklepac wrote:Good, but these people aren't even abiding by the official Unilang General Topics Creed: "All posts must use the word 'privilege' or some equivalent at least five times in total."

"Because privileges don't matter that much", right?
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

Lur

Postby Lur » 2013-04-28, 16:21

It's a parody of the fact that we've been using the word privilege a lot. Sorry about explaining the joke.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2013-04-28, 17:22

Garethw87 wrote:Great your female, I'm male. Big deal. Get over it

I'm spotting a spelling error. You meant to say "grate", right? As in "make resentful and angry"? :P
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2013-04-28, 17:29

Luke wrote:It's a parody of the fact that we've been using the word privilege a lot. Sorry about explaining the joke.

And there I was, repeating that word one more time. Sorry for explaining the joke.

Lur

Postby Lur » 2013-04-28, 17:36

I think you were just feeling provoked for no reason.

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2013-04-28, 17:40

Luke wrote:I think you were just feeling provoked for no reason.

Why. I'm just playing along. Can't you see how fun it is?

Lur

Postby Lur » 2013-04-28, 17:54

Putting words in other's peoples mouths to make them seem insensitive? Right. Helluva funny.

Garethw87

Postby Garethw87 » 2013-05-01, 20:32

Varislintu wrote:
Garethw87 wrote:Great your female, I'm male. Big deal. Get over it

I'm spotting a spelling error. You meant to say "grate", right? As in "make resentful and angry"? :P

:silly:
TIKAI RIGA
Native:[flag=]en-GB[/flag] - Full time:[flag=]fr[/flag][flag=]de[/flag] - Casual:[flag=]yue.hant[/flag] - Eventually:[flag=]lv[/flag][flag=]lu[/flag][flag=]zh[/flag]

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-06-05, 16:01

I don't understand the criticism of feminism on the basis that it doesn't look out for men's interests. It shouldn't, just like human rights groups don't look out for animals' rights. Besides, men's rights being co-opted by women's rights groups would just shatter what little respect the men's rights movement already commands. Now, if a plain equal-rights movement wants to, though...

Lur

Postby Lur » 2013-06-05, 17:15

johnklepac wrote:I don't understand the criticism of feminism on the basis that it doesn't look out for men's interests.

But it does.

Or at least the feminism that isn't nonsense.

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-06-05, 20:16

Lur wrote:
johnklepac wrote:I don't understand the criticism of feminism on the basis that it doesn't look out for men's interests.

But it does.

Or at least the feminism that isn't nonsense.

The vast majority of feminism is nonsense, though, because I can't remember the last feminist organization or work that mentioned in its agenda increasing rights of men, barring the right to know how privileged they are.

Again, though, I don't mind this; feminism should be about the women.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2013-06-05, 20:35

johnklepac wrote:The vast majority of feminism is nonsense, though, because I can't remember the last feminist organization or work that mentioned in its agenda increasing rights of men, barring the right to know how privileged they are.

Again, though, I don't mind this; feminism should be about the women.

It does sound to me like you're a bit bitter towards feminism, though.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-06-06, 0:31

The vast majority of feminism is nonsense, though, because I can't remember the last feminist organization or work that mentioned in its agenda increasing rights of men, barring the right to know how privileged they are.
Why does that make it nonsense? If a human rights organization criticizes human trafficking in Thailand but not Ukraine, does that make their opinion irrelevant?

Garethw87

Postby Garethw87 » 2013-06-06, 1:35

If women have no rights how the hell is one the ruler of Germany? Isn't that the biggest and most powerful country in Europe?

Oh wait Argentina too they are pretty decent in South America (although somebody needs to make her shut up, but that's another argument)
TIKAI RIGA

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-06-06, 1:55

Garethw87 wrote:If women have no rights how the hell is one the ruler of Germany? Isn't that the biggest and most powerful country in Europe?

Who says "women have no rights"? Serious question: find mine someone who actually claims that. Bonus points if they're someone anyone on this forum has ever heard of before.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Garethw87

Postby Garethw87 » 2013-06-06, 3:56

linguoboy wrote:
Garethw87 wrote:If women have no rights how the hell is one the ruler of Germany? Isn't that the biggest and most powerful country in Europe?

Who says "women have no rights"? Serious question: find mine someone who actually claims that. Bonus points if they're someone anyone on this forum has ever heard of before.

Well here in the UK we hear this kind of talk ALL the time...

1 - glass ceiling I'm businesses for women. Saying that no matter what women get treated worse off in the work place then men, they won't ever get as far and their isn't enough women in the board rooms.

2 - A recent news article here in the UK was saying that a man and women with the exact same degree.. same job applied for the woman would get paid less.

My response to 1 is - wrong. I'm pretty certain that if a woman was the best person they get promoted.

My response to 2 is - wrong again. Nearly all jobs advertise a salary. They obviously can't just say 'oh wait but you're a woman it doesn't mean the same to you' and they wouldn't do that anyway.
TIKAI RIGA

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-06-06, 6:10

How on earth does either of those equate to having no rights? Do you even know what a right is?

Return to “Politics and Religion”