An object worthy of worship

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
Saaropean

Re: Where do atheists go to worship?

Postby Saaropean » 2013-02-05, 23:00

Sophie wrote:Why, the atheist church, of course!

JackFrost wrote:That'd be irony to me. :roll:

I wouldn't call it irony. It just shows how much people in the UK have been shaped by this christian religion. If those people lived in a truly non-religious culture, they wouldn't think about using christian ideas (like singing songs in a building commonly known as "church" etc.). What they are doing is just a reaction to what the christian majority in their country and in the US is doing. It's nothing really original.

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-02-07, 15:34

Saaropean wrote:I wouldn't call it irony. It just shows how much people in the UK have been shaped by this christian religion. If those people lived in a truly non-religious culture, they wouldn't think about using christian ideas (like singing songs in a building commonly known as "church" etc.). What they are doing is just a reaction to what the christian majority in their country and in the US is doing. It's nothing really original.

I've found it to be the same here with some of the more secular religious institutions that are nonetheless religious institutions, like some variants of Judaism and Unitarianism.

Jurgen Wullenwever

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2013-02-16, 9:37

If an atheist worships Mammon (i.e. is greedy), is he still an atheist?

Or, in the same manner, strives to act benevolently, or morally, or just, thus worshipping their appropriate deities. Every single action can be interpreted in religious terms. Atheism might be impossible.
Chekhov wrote:I don't know about naive worldviews, but Jurgen Wullenwhatever pisses me off to no end because of his extreme pessimism and cynicism. You'd think the world was going to end imminently when talking to that guy.

Jag är rebell: jag sockrar teet, saltar maten, cyklar utan hjälm, och tänder glödlampor.
(Ovanstående var förut, nu försöker jag minska sockret och saltet.)

Saaropean

Postby Saaropean » 2013-02-16, 15:57

Jurgen Wullenwever wrote:If an atheist worships Mammon (i.e. is greedy), is he still an atheist?

Or, in the same manner, strives to act benevolently, or morally, or just, thus worshipping their appropriate deities. Every single action can be interpreted in religious terms. Atheism might be impossible.

I disagree. There's a difference between worshipping a god (e.g. sacrificing a lamb in a temple, praying for good weather and the perfect wife) and having certain character traits. What you describe as "worshipping Mammon" is not really a religious act, but a simple attitude utterly unrelated to religion. There are millions of greedy christians...

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2013-02-16, 22:14

Just because you see animistic spirits in everything, Jurgen, doesn't mean other people do. :ohwell: I think you have to be aware of your own religious belief in order for your deliberate actions to count as religious worship. Otherwise we just come around 360 degrees and all human behaviour is religious, which means it means nothing and the term itself is nullified.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Jurgen Wullenwever

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2013-02-17, 9:40

But this could be the base for a modern religious cosmology, uniting natural science, morality and chance into a comprehensible structure.

When we pay our taxes to the government, we give offerings to the Priest-King and the State God, or State Goddess.

When we have our cars controlled every year, we make our annual pilgrimage to the temple of the God of Roads and Transportation.

When we mow the lawn, we worship the Goddess of Habitation.

This is fun! :D
Chekhov wrote:I don't know about naive worldviews, but Jurgen Wullenwhatever pisses me off to no end because of his extreme pessimism and cynicism. You'd think the world was going to end imminently when talking to that guy.

Jag är rebell: jag sockrar teet, saltar maten, cyklar utan hjälm, och tänder glödlampor.
(Ovanstående var förut, nu försöker jag minska sockret och saltet.)

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2013-02-18, 20:01

Hehe, I guess it is kinda fun if you start playing with the idea. :)
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Return to “Politics and Religion”