Cypriot presidential election, 2013

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
md0

Re: Cypriot presidential election, 2013

Postby md0 » 2013-02-17, 17:54

The exit polls were surprisingly off, this will be a two-round election, sadly. The parties backing the third candidate will pollute with their extremist positions the two moderate candidates.

With more than 90% of the ballots counted:

N. Anastasiades: 45,3%
S. Malas: 27,05%

G. Lillikas: 24,94%
G. Charalambous: 0,89%
P. Antoniadou-Kyriacou: 0,61%

It surprises me that the neo-nazi candidate Charalambous almost reached the full 1%, and not in a good way :S
And it seems that most supporters of Antoniadou-Kyriacou defected to Malas today, which is also kinda sad.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)Elementary Finnish (fi)
For fun: Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2013-02-18, 19:59

meidei wrote:And I voted just now.
I wish I could say I am happy with my choice. At least it doesn't make me feel as bad as any other option on the ballot.

Maybe I have missed it but what did you vote in the end, if you want to share?

Your little country was at the second page of my newspaper today!
Native: Dutch
Learns: Indonesian and baby signs
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, French, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

md0

Postby md0 » 2013-02-18, 20:54

Sure. I voted Antoniadou-Kyriacou after all, since she's not electable anyway. I still think that her party is the only one that quasi-appeals to me (being the only one that's both left and liberal in Cyprus).
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)Elementary Finnish (fi)

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2013-02-19, 11:27

meidei wrote:Sure. I voted Antoniadou-Kyriacou after all, since she's not electable anyway. I still think that her party is the only one that quasi-appeals to me (being the only one that's both left and liberal in Cyprus).

Okay. And do I understand it right that you'll need to vote again, but that you'll only have two possibilities left?

I know I have talked about this more often but I still think it's weird how voting systems influence it all so much. I don't know what would have happened in the Netherlands if we had two-round elections, for example.

Corrections appreciated.

md0

Postby md0 » 2013-02-19, 13:25

Yes, this Sunday the ballot will only have Anastasiades and Malas.
I don't intent to go and vote. Both of them are equally bad.

The two-round system is certainly influencing how politics are done in Cyprus. It practically makes DIKO, a party of 15%, the most important party in every election. And sometimes it has major impact:
In 2004, both DISY and AKEL, the major parties, were in favour of the Annan reunification plan and DIKO was not. But AKEL was bound by being in coalition with DIKO (so that DIKO could even pass to the second round), so they urged their voters to reject the plan. The result was 75% rejecting the plan because a party of 32% wanted to please a party of 15%. Without AKEL bound by the coalition with DIKO, it would be nearly 60% in favour of the Annan reunification plan.
And of course, with 75% rejecting it, the 25% was shamed so hard and so dirty, and both DISY and the few people of AKEL that supported the plan anyway did a U-turn and apologised for their support to Annan plan multiple times since then. As if they did something bad... but they need DIKO to elect a president so they have to strike out Annan from their past.

This is why I strongly believe that the absolute majority of 50%+1 vote must became relative majority (assuming that more than 50% of the population voted). It will take a decade or more for parasitic parties like DIKO and EDEK to die out, but it will be for the better in the long run.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2013-02-19, 16:25

Car wrote:The EU has no army, though, and you might not want to rely on others that much. Given that the EU is slow and divided, it might work out for a country as populous as Russia. If they wants to do that.

Yeah, Finland also doesn't think anyone would help us. We have this trauma from the Winter War, and to be honest I think it's not very unrealistic to predict that other Western countries wouldn't really care about Finland. Sweden and Norway might have the biggest stakes, because they'd be next in line for the joy of being next door neighbours with Russia*.

(*when I speak about Russia cynically like this, I refer to the political entity, not the ordinary people or their culture.)
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2013-02-19, 16:57

Varislintu wrote:Yeah, Finland also doesn't think anyone would help us. We have this trauma from the Winter War, and to be honest I think it's not very unrealistic to predict that other Western countries wouldn't really care about Finland. Sweden and Norway might have the biggest stakes, because they'd be next in line for the joy of being next door neighbours with Russia*.

(*when I speak about Russia cynically like this, I refer to the political entity, not the ordinary people or their culture.)

I think in general it doesn't hurt if you're not relying on others too much. That makes you dependent on them. EU/ NATO countries failed to reach an agreement so often or took so long that you can't be sure they'd actually act soon enough. Just look at some of the conflicts outside the EU. It's not necessarily not really caring, but just being too slow or too divided to act immediately. I'm sure that should Russia attack Finland, the people would care (with Finland being a Western European country and a rich Nordic one, the media interest would be high enough for that), though.
Please correct my mistakes!

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2013-02-20, 11:35

Car wrote:I think in general it doesn't hurt if you're not relying on others too much. That makes you dependent on them. EU/ NATO countries failed to reach an agreement so often or took so long that you can't be sure they'd actually act soon enough. Just look at some of the conflicts outside the EU. It's not necessarily not really caring, but just being too slow or too divided to act immediately. I'm sure that should Russia attack Finland, the people would care (with Finland being a Western European country and a rich Nordic one, the media interest would be high enough for that), though.

I agree with this pretty much. The problem Finland has is that we don't have much strategic value. I'm sure people would be sympathetic to us, but whether the political machineries would react to aid us is another question.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2013-02-20, 11:42

Varislintu wrote:
Car wrote:I think in general it doesn't hurt if you're not relying on others too much. That makes you dependent on them. EU/ NATO countries failed to reach an agreement so often or took so long that you can't be sure they'd actually act soon enough. Just look at some of the conflicts outside the EU. It's not necessarily not really caring, but just being too slow or too divided to act immediately. I'm sure that should Russia attack Finland, the people would care (with Finland being a Western European country and a rich Nordic one, the media interest would be high enough for that), though.

I agree with this pretty much. The problem Finland has is that we don't have much strategic value. I'm sure people would be sympathetic to us, but whether the political machineries would react to aid us is another question.

This doubt really surprises me. I mean, even when in a country like Mali that no one ever heard about politicians in the Netherlands have this idea like: 'hey let's go find out what's there see if we can be of any help', so I'm sure we'd like to help you out. Although surely you won't win with only the help of the Netherlands :P

Corrections appreciated.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2013-02-20, 13:36

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:This doubt really surprises me. I mean, even when in a country like Mali that no one ever heard about politicians in the Netherlands have this idea like: 'hey let's go find out what's there see if we can be of any help', so I'm sure we'd like to help you out. Although surely you won't win with only the help of the Netherlands :P

Maybe, but Mali is a bit different. Over there some real brutal people are trying to take over who want to whip people and hack off their hands. If Russia decided to reintroduce a stray member of its former sphere of influence to the motherly embrace of Russia, it would just be an instance where a civilized, modern country is widening its jurisdiction a bit. :P
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2013-02-21, 1:33

During the Winter War we got all of this sentiment here of Finlands sak är vår! ('Finland's struggle is ours!'), and I would doubt it if that were any less true today, especially considering that we've got even closer ties to Finland nowadays than back then, on a personal level anyway.

On the other hand, our defence is seriously lacking, so if you were attacked, just like during the Winter War, we'd not be able to send troops. It's actually scary how similar today's situation is, back then we had pretty much made away with our military too...
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language, want to understand and speak but can't.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2013-02-21, 10:31

Varislintu wrote:
Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:This doubt really surprises me. I mean, even when in a country like Mali that no one ever heard about politicians in the Netherlands have this idea like: 'hey let's go find out what's there see if we can be of any help', so I'm sure we'd like to help you out. Although surely you won't win with only the help of the Netherlands :P

Maybe, but Mali is a bit different. Over there some real brutal people are trying to take over who want to whip people and hack off their hands. If Russia decided to reintroduce a stray member of its former sphere of influence to the motherly embrace of Russia, it would just be an instance where a civilized, modern country is widening its jurisdiction a bit. :P

Mali also has this strategic value that they don't want Islamists to spread further. It also is a former French colony, so at least for the French, that's another good reason.
Please correct my mistakes!

md0

Postby md0 » 2013-02-24, 17:03

Nicos Anastasiades is the 7th President of the Republic, elected with the 57,49% of the valid ballots in the run-off elections today.

Now excuse me while I prepare my luggage to move out of this country.

JackFrost
Forum Administrator

Postby JackFrost » 2013-02-24, 18:28

meidei wrote:Now excuse me while I prepare my luggage to move out of this country.

You sound like the liberals swearing to move to Canada if Bush wins again.

And the conservatives swearing to move to Canada if Obama wins again. :lol:
Neferuj paħujkij!

md0

Postby md0 » 2013-02-24, 18:31

It is funny because I am moving anyway, no matter who won :P

JackFrost
Forum Administrator

Postby JackFrost » 2013-02-24, 18:50

No doubt you would actually honour your own words.

I just couldn't avoid not seeing that parallelism. :P
Neferuj paħujkij!

md0

Postby md0 » 2013-02-24, 18:55

Yeah, it was intentional anyway :D

Leopejo

Postby Leopejo » 2013-02-25, 12:17

Congratulations to Anastasiades.

md0

Postby md0 » 2013-02-26, 22:42

OK, I think one of the new Minister appointments is noteworthy.
Michalis Sarris is appointed Minister of Finance. The guy was MoF in the past as well, but between then and now he was outed by the Police of TRNC after being arrested of engaging to gay sex. He is not out of the closet officially, but not denying it either.
For Cyprus, that's huge. Not that Twitter is not already full of homophobic remarks about the whole thing, but this is the closest thing we have to a known gay person holding public office.

md0

Postby md0 » 2013-02-27, 12:15

And not a single woman was appointed. That's a retrogression...
To think that Anastasiades publicly stated that "there are some women who can think at well", referring to the female members of his party...

Return to “Politics and Religion”