Cypriot presidential election, 2013

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
md0

Re: Cypriot presidential election, 2013

Postby md0 » 2013-02-05, 19:55

Nope :|
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)Elementary Finnish (fi)
For fun: Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)

md0

Postby md0 » 2013-02-09, 22:47

And Antoniadou-Kyriacou is officially crossed of the list.
Three reasons:
a) She recently met with the head of Cyprus Church. Sure, that's what all candidates (except those of AKEL) do, but this is a sign that she does not believe in absolute secularism, so big NO here.
b) She proposed a modification of the national military service law that will allow men to buy up half of their service time for 1000EUR/month, with portion of those money going to those who stay for a full service. Horrible :?
c) She has yet to answer my questions.

So I guess I will use my vote strategically (against Lillikas), if at all.
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)Elementary Finnish (fi)

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-02-11, 22:00

meidei wrote:She proposed a modification of the national military service law that will allow men to buy up half of their service time for 1000EUR/month, with portion of those money going to those who stay for a full service. Horrible :?

I feel like a jerk for asking, but what's wrong with that?

md0

Postby md0 » 2013-02-11, 22:16

Rich kids can already dodge their military service and advance earlier to university studies and entering the jobs market, while poorer kids have to serve for 25 months after they turn 18.
Her proposal will make this tactic legal, something that clearly diminishes the chance of those kids to compete with their peers. As you may know, there are certain advantages if you enroll into unis right after you exit highschool, when you are 18~20 or you finish your studies before you turn 25 (from cheaper bus tickets to social security to scholarships and student loan-granting).

On top of that, there are five different armies on this island. Five of them should go away asap, we might as well start with ours.

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-02-12, 1:05

meidei wrote:Rich kids can already dodge their military service and advance earlier to university studies and entering the jobs market, while poorer kids have to serve for 25 months after they turn 18.
Her proposal will make this tactic legal, something that clearly diminishes the chance of those kids to compete with their peers. As you may know, there are certain advantages if you enroll into unis right after you exit highschool, when you are 18~20 or you finish your studies before you turn 25 (from cheaper bus tickets to social security to scholarships and student loan-granting).

On top of that, there are five different armies on this island. Five of them should go away asap, we might as well start with ours.

I knew none of that. In the U.S., there are no explicit benefits granted anyone based on when he or she has finished education., and conscription is only mandatory in theory.

md0

Postby md0 » 2013-02-12, 12:45

I know the US does not have a draft, but there aren't discounts for younger people, at least in some states?
And in any case, there are advantages in getting into uni without a two year gap that you can't continue following your studies' topic, and entering the job market sooner, even if there aren't any other benefits at stake.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2013-02-13, 15:27

I think it sounds ridiculous that you can pay to avoid conscription, or shorten your time in the service. Really unfair.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

JackFrost
Forum Administrator

Postby JackFrost » 2013-02-14, 4:35

meidei wrote:I know the US does not have a draft, but there aren't discounts for younger people, at least in some states?

I tried looking at the NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, and Boston transit systems and they don't directly offer low-fare bus/subway tickets for university students. However, it doesn't mean that universities don't have an agreement with a transit authority to provide the students a pass at a discounted price (that is, the universities issuing those passes). And I have to admit, the idea of lower fares for students in the US sounds almost unheard of for me. Though, it's not unusual to find "Students Gets X% off" in shops and restos near the school ground or in small towns with a university.

Almost all students don't get a cent from the Social Security because it's generally a program for the retirees, not the youth.

And public student loans and grants are open to all ages anyways.
Last edited by JackFrost on 2013-02-14, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.
Neferuj paħujkij!

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2013-02-14, 17:19

meidei wrote:As you may know, there are certain advantages if you enroll into unis right after you exit highschool, when you are 18~20 or you finish your studies before you turn 25

Yup. The most significant advantage is some 5 to 8% increase in lifetime income compared to those having to do compulsory service.

And so the rich get richer and the poor become poorer, all in the name of duty to the nation. :wink:
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

md0

Postby md0 » 2013-02-14, 17:56

And one the topic of conscription disrupting studies, there are plenty of cases, including my personal one (as I was not allowed to attend the obligatory procedures I need to start my uni studies last year, for 5 days of remaining service, thus having to live off my savings for a year, because I can't find a job without a uni degree in this time of year), to cases like one this summer, about a guy who got accepted with a scholarship to a major university in, iirc, Australia, but was not allowed to go before completing his service, thus losing the scholarship. In the same time, rich and/or well-connected guys, mostly from the capital, can postpone their service until they are old enough not to serve, by making up medical certificates.

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2013-02-16, 5:49

In Chicago students travel for free, but I'm not sure if it's all students or if it's just certain universities. In Austin, there are four universities (University of Texas, St. Edward's U, Huston-Tillotson U and Concordia U) and one community college, only one college (the University of Texas) and the community college get free bus fare, the rest of us have to pay full price.

For what it's worth, most of the students I know are on food stamps because we're all so fucking poor. So yay for that.
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2013-02-16, 10:40

Here in Finland students get a 50% reduction in the major transportations. It's dependent on your student status, which you in the helsinki area get programmed into your electronic bus card for a year at a time. Otherwise you usually prove the status with a student card that has the official sticker of the year. However, after you turn 30, you have to additionally prove that your studies are full time to get the price reduction. There's no general reduction just based on age.

I find it really despotic if there's no flexibility regarding conscription. Here you can't buy your way out, and it delays all young men in the service for one or at least half an academic year. But if you get into a university, perhaps even any higher education, your entry place is frozen for the the year you're away. You just register as absent due to military service. Then you start the actual studies the next year or as soon as you can.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Kenny

Postby Kenny » 2013-02-16, 11:25

I can somewhat understand the existence of mandatory military service in Cyprus even if I don't agree with it. But Finland?! Who would attack Finland? And what difference would that 1 year service make? It's not like conscripts actually learn how to proceed in case shit does hit the fan. I mean they may learn it but they'd have absolutely zero f.cking idea what to do if they were attacked or were mobilized and sent out onto the battlefield. They would shit their pants like any sane person.
Thank God we did away with it back in 2004 (? I think). [of course many say that it was good because it made a man out of "little bitches" and blame the fact that there are so "many" "emos" and gays on its abolition...idiots]

md0

Postby md0 » 2013-02-16, 12:47

But if you get into a university, perhaps even any higher education, your entry place is frozen for the the year you're away. You just register as absent due to military service. Then you start the actual studies the next year or as soon as you can.

This is the cause for those who gained entry to a university through the unified exams, ie to state universities of Cyprus and Greece.

I can somewhat understand the existence of mandatory military service in Cyprus even if I don't agree with it.

That reason is not practicality, mind you. It's pure ideology. The Cypriot Army (actually "National Guard") is a joke. They kill conscripts, reserve soldiers and career officers in accidents during peace-time practically every two years. Most recently, a suicide in a camp near my town, and more notably, the very day I was called to appear to the bootcamp, they blew up the most important power plant of the island by storing unstable explosives next to it. Or few years ago, killing my highschool IT teacher who was in the Reserve and was called for re-training, by giving him to drive a huge vehicle that wasn't maintained in ages and couldn't be controlled. And going as far as I can remember, this is possible 2000 or 1999, they killed the entire higher command of the National Guard, on an unmaintained helicopter accident.
No one believes, deep in their hearts, that those people can fight in a war...
And those are just the cases I know of personally, or followed the news as they unfolded.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2013-02-16, 22:09

Kenny wrote:I can somewhat understand the existence of mandatory military service in Cyprus even if I don't agree with it. But Finland?! Who would attack Finland?

It always surprises me when I hear people say that, because it reveals an element of Finnish culture that I easily forget is not so obvious to those outside of this country. Finland is still deathly afraid that Russia will attack.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

JackFrost
Forum Administrator

Postby JackFrost » 2013-02-16, 23:25

Even that is inconceivable because the conflict wouldn't be between two countries, but over 30 countries. Attacking Georgia is one thing, but attacking a EU member state is quite another story. :?
Neferuj paħujkij!

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2013-02-17, 11:21

The EU has no army, though, and you might not want to rely on others that much. Given that the EU is slow and divided, it might work out for a country as populous as Russia. If they wants to do that.
Please correct my mistakes!

md0

Postby md0 » 2013-02-17, 11:39

And I voted just now.
I wish I could say I am happy with my choice. At least it doesn't make me feel as bad as any other option on the ballot.

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2013-02-17, 15:19

I have Cypriot genes on my grandmother site, so I feel kinda connected to the Island.
Make sure you choose wisely, my Cypriot friends. :y: :wave:
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

md0

Postby md0 » 2013-02-17, 16:06

Voting ended at 18:00.
The exit polls from the three main TV channels show the following initial results. Final results are expected at 20:00 EET (UTC+02:00).

CyBC: (18:00, 88%)
Anastasiades: 51,1%
Malas: 27,3%
Lillikas: 18%

Sigma (18:00, 70%)

Anastasiades: 49%~52,5%
Malas: 24%~27%
Lillikas: 19%~22%

Antenna (18:00, 80%)

Anastasiades: 48%~52%
Malas: 23,5%~26,5%
Lillikas: 19,5%~22,5%

Mega (18:00, ??%)
Anastasiades: 49%~52%
Malas: 25,5%~26%
Lillikas: 20%~22,5%

So, a first-round win for Anastasiades can't be rules out. This would be a first since 1983, I think.

----
Live results provided by the Ministry of Interior here

Return to “Politics and Religion”