“Myanmar” or “Burma”?

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
Garethw87
Re: “Myanmar” or “Burma”?

Postby Garethw87 » 2013-01-12, 21:58

Myanmar - It's their country so respect what they choose to name it! :D
TIKAI RIGA
Native:[flag=]en-GB[/flag] - Full time:[flag=]fr[/flag][flag=]de[/flag] - Casual:[flag=]yue.hant[/flag] - Eventually:[flag=]lv[/flag][flag=]lu[/flag][flag=]zh[/flag]

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-01-12, 23:15

Garethw87 wrote:Myanmar - It's their country so respect what they choose to name it! :D

Who is "they"?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Nukalurk

Postby Nukalurk » 2013-01-12, 23:49

Garethw87, so you are able to pronounce all names correctly in any language? If you really respect them, then you should totally be able to do so! :whistle:

Garethw87

Postby Garethw87 » 2013-01-13, 0:51

Nukalurk wrote:Garethw87, so you are able to pronounce all names correctly in any language? If you really respect them, then you should totally be able to do so! :whistle:

That's interesting. Im unaware of any I use that might be wrong. Although I'm sure there will be some. By all means if you see me using one, correct it!
TIKAI RIGA
Native:[flag=]en-GB[/flag] - Full time:[flag=]fr[/flag][flag=]de[/flag] - Casual:[flag=]yue.hant[/flag] - Eventually:[flag=]lv[/flag][flag=]lu[/flag][flag=]zh[/flag]

Garethw87

Postby Garethw87 » 2013-01-13, 0:53

linguoboy wrote:
Garethw87 wrote:Myanmar - It's their country so respect what they choose to name it! :D

Who is "they"?

"they2 being the Government who changed the name back? Or are we going to end on on the 'the millitary/government in Myanmar is so horrible and evil! road? :pff:
TIKAI RIGA

Lazar Taxon

Postby Lazar Taxon » 2013-01-13, 1:48

Even if a "legitimate" government decided that Myanma, rather than Bama, were the proper native-language name of the country, I'd still prefer to call it Burma in English. Look at India, which we use regardless of whether it's a translation of Bharat, Hind or Hindustan - the precedent of Germany (Dutchland?) shows that our names don't need to share the same etymon. I'm an unabashed fan of exonyms, because they're more esthetically pleasing, and in my mind it's a sign of respect that a place should be given a distinct, assimilated name rather than just some transliteration.
Native: [flag=]en-us[/flag] Good: [flag=]es[/flag] [flag=]fr[/flag] Okay: [flag=]de[/flag] [flag=]la[/flag] Beginning: [flag=]it[/flag] Interested in: [flag=]he[/flag] [flag=]hi[/flag] [flag=]ru[/flag]

Today we are cats in the apocalypse!

ling

Postby ling » 2013-01-13, 6:10

Garethw87 wrote:Myanmar - It's their country so respect what they choose to name it!

I have no respect for the illegitimate junta of corrupt generals who made the name change.
Native: [flag=]en[/flag] Advanced: [flag=]zh[/flag] Actively studying: [flag=]th[/flag][flag=]id[/flag] Passively dabbling: [flag=]lkt[/flag]

Return to “Politics and Religion”