Rick Santorum

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
User avatar
Leviwosc
Posts: 4743
Joined: 2002-06-28, 3:38
Real Name: Reinaldus Adreanus
Gender: male
Location: Tilburg
Country: NL The Netherlands (Nederland)
Contact:

Re: Rick Santorum

Postby Leviwosc » 2012-04-11, 8:45

Saim wrote::? I don't think there's any legal why to bar someone who's otherwise qualified from running for president because of their disgusting ideology.

Lying, should be one.
Image Image | Image Image Image Image | Image Image Image

User avatar
JackFrost
Forum Administrator
Posts: 16240
Joined: 2004-11-08, 21:00
Real Name: Jack Frost
Gender: male
Location: Montréal, Québec
Country: CA Canada (Canada)

Re: Rick Santorum

Postby JackFrost » 2012-04-11, 8:54

The ability to call each other's bullshit is just awesome.
Neferuj paħujkij!

User avatar
Saim
Posts: 5436
Joined: 2011-01-22, 5:44
Location: Novi Sad
Country: RS Serbia (Србија)

Re: Rick Santorum

Postby Saim » 2012-04-11, 11:19

Leviwosc wrote:
Saim wrote::? I don't think there's any legal why to bar someone who's otherwise qualified from running for president because of their disgusting ideology.

Lying, should be one.

I don't really think "liars" should be barred from elections. They should lose yes, and there I agree with you that it's disconcerting how far he got, but I totally disagree that he should've been legally prosecuted in any way.

User avatar
ILuvEire
Posts: 10398
Joined: 2007-12-08, 17:41
Gender: male
Location: Austin
Country: US United States (United States)
Contact:

Re: Rick Santorum

Postby ILuvEire » 2012-05-03, 0:38

Leviwosc wrote:I'm still very disappointed with American politics. I'm very disappointed that it was HIS own choice to stop with this campaign now. He's obvious a liar and that is in the USA apparently no reason to be excluded from the campaigns. I thought this was only possible in banana republics.
Who, do you suppose, should force him to quit? I think you should be proud of American politics--he quit because no one was voting for him and no one was voting for him because he was an idiot. I understand that he was an obvious liar, and that he should have no part in politics, but the way to do that is by not voting for him.

I say all of this with just a twinge of smarminess, because I have little faith in American politics and am pretty disgusted by the entire affair.
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

User avatar
Leviwosc
Posts: 4743
Joined: 2002-06-28, 3:38
Real Name: Reinaldus Adreanus
Gender: male
Location: Tilburg
Country: NL The Netherlands (Nederland)
Contact:

Re: Rick Santorum

Postby Leviwosc » 2012-06-07, 2:45

I see your point and I do understand it. But then I'd like to ask the "what if" question.

What if enough people decided to vote for him and he continued with his campaign? Santorum only quitted because he had Mitt Romney as an opponent who is less crazy, has slightly more charisma than Santorum and certainly more money for his campaign.

But what if that didn't happen. What if Mitt Romney made a big mistake or got ill... or whatever scenario and Santorum got in charge?

Santorum would be a presidential candidate if fate decided differently. I'm honestly happy he won't become a president now, trust me. But he's not punished yet for lying; his political career isn't over, it is not even severely damaged. Perhaps he'll try it again in 4 years time.

Of course I have no choice than to accept it. But sometimes I think about it and it makes me angry.
Image Image | Image Image Image Image | Image Image Image

User avatar
Abavagada
Posts: 2521
Joined: 2002-06-21, 2:26
Real Name: Erik Zidowecki
Gender: male
Location: Ocean Park
Country: US United States (United States)
Contact:

Re: Rick Santorum

Postby Abavagada » 2012-06-07, 15:00

Leviwosc wrote:I see your point and I do understand it. But then I'd like to ask the "what if" question.

What if enough people decided to vote for him and he continued with his campaign? Santorum only quitted because he had Mitt Romney as an opponent who is less crazy, has slightly more charisma than Santorum and certainly more money for his campaign.

But what if that didn't happen. What if Mitt Romney made a big mistake or got ill... or whatever scenario and Santorum got in charge?


That has been said about every US President in the past 30 years.
Bush/Quayle
Clinton/Gore
Bush/Cheyney
Obama/Biden

The threat of "what if?". The losing party always claims that the one that won only made it because everyone that voted for them was "stupid". But this is what goes into a democracy.. people making these choices, even if others don't agree. Are you proposing some kind of system in which only a few "smart" people make the choice for the nation?

And don't think this just happens in the US. I am sure every country has people that think their candidates are terrible and are only elected because of "stupid" people.

Unless you live in a country in which a monarch rules, whose only qualification is being born into a certain family and then appoints people to high positions.
"Internet killed the video star. Telepathy killed the internet star." - Men Without Hats
Parleremo - Where Languages Live! http://www.parleremo.org


Return to “Politics and Religion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest