Rick Santorum

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
Varislintu

Re: Rick Santorum

Postby Varislintu » 2012-03-22, 21:38

linguoboy wrote:Never in a million years would I have guessed that reproductive rights would be the big issue of the 2012 election campaign. Fortunately, this seems to be a losing battle for the GOP. Or, as one commentator put it, "They haven't screwed the pooch this badly since Terry Schiavo".

Good to hear that it might not be working for them. But haven't some really regressive laws concerning reproductive rights been pushed and even passed lately? This blog post, for example, lists some. I know I read a very narrow and slanted portion of American voices, but it sounds like many women are actually afraid of what's happening and going to happen :?.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2012-03-22, 21:57

Varislintu wrote:Good to hear that it might not be working for them. But haven't some really regressive laws concerning reproductive rights been pushed and even passed lately? This blog post, for example, lists some. I know I read a very narrow and slanted portion of American voices, but it sounds like many women are actually afraid of what's happening and going to happen :?.

Yes, but look at some of the places where they passed: Arizona, Mississippi, Kansas, Georgia. These are not bellwether states; these are political backwaters where reactionaries are desperately fighting a rearguard action against social change. Some of their sponsors have already backpedaled, and I'm waiting with a certain glee to see what happens to those who haven't and are up for reelection (or recall) in the fall.

Obviously it would be preferable that such legislation didn't get proposed anywhere, much less passed. But I think any victories claimed by the anti-reproductive-rights camp are ultimately going to turn out to be Pyrrhic. Young women were disproportionally unlikely to vote in the last election. I expect that to change this year and, when it does, it will not be to these legislators' benefit.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2012-03-22, 22:11

linguoboy wrote:Yes, but look at some of the places where they passed: Arizona, Mississippi, Kansas, Georgia. These are not bellwether states; these are political backwaters where reactionaries are desperately fighting a rearguard action against social change. Some of their sponsors have already backpedaled, and I'm waiting with a certain glee to see what happens to those who haven't and are up for reelection (or recall) in the fall.

True, and that sounds good.

linguoboy wrote:Obviously it would be preferable that such legislation didn't get proposed anywhere, much less passed. But I think any victories claimed by the anti-reproductive-rights camp are ultimately going to turn out to be Pyrrhic. Young women were disproportionally unlikely to vote in the last election. I expect that to change this year and, when it does, it will not be to these legislators' benefit.

Especially since some of these suggested laws or adjustments to laws are just so far out there. Or should I say so far behind the times. I can understand modern women being pro-life, but anti-contraception? Or young men for that matter. Because to me being anti-contraception requires going back to being ashamed of having sex just for pleasure and I can't see that happening in a Western country.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Leviwosc

Postby Leviwosc » 2012-03-22, 23:09

Prosper_Youplaboum wrote:not in France. In France, lying is the rule. Anyway you can't get any important political position if you are honest. Ever heard of $arkozy? There are plenty of videos on Youtube, with compilations of his lies, of what he promised before being elected and what he did after, etc. And after 5 years swindling people, quite a lot of French citizens still want to vote for him again this year. France is becoming an underdeveloped country. If I could I'd go back to Belgium, where things aren't as bad as in France...

This is not what I meant. A politician who doesn't keep his promise isn't new at all. The Dutch government is formed with politicians who doesn't keep their promises.

I mean a politician who tells something which is NOT true, telling a lie just for the sake of the campaign. I guess if you do that, even in France, your campaign is over!
Image Image | Image Image Image Image | Image Image Image

JackFrost
Forum Administrator

Postby JackFrost » 2012-03-23, 1:45

I had the misfortune of having Frothy as senator from 1995 to 2007.

It was a terrible dark time. We don't speak of it.

Varislintu wrote:I'd have trouble stomaching some of their opinions about the role of religion and women's reproductive rights for starters. On the other hand, the Republicans' stance on these issues is in general far from my own.

You just need to read this to know everything.

http://09021994.tumblr.com/post/19738305152
Neferuj paħujkij!

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2012-03-23, 6:57

JackFrost wrote:You just need to read this to know everything.

http://09021994.tumblr.com/post/19738305152

:waytogo:
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2012-03-24, 0:05

JackFrost wrote:I had the misfortune of having Frothy as senator from 1995 to 2007.
How did this bloodsucker become count of Transyl... sorry, senator of Pennsylvania? :hmm:
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

Saim

Postby Saim » 2012-03-25, 10:18

http://blog.spreadingsantorum.com

DEFINITION: SANTORUM

1. The frothy mixture of lube and fecal matter that is sometimes the by-product of anal sex.

2. Former Senator Rick Santorum

:P

Tenebrarum wrote:I don't know if this is relevant or not, but here's Sanitarium's arch rival, Mitt Romney, in his excellent rendition of the famous Eminem hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxch-yi14BE

:lol: Why would he ever say "mass debaters"??

DissidentRage wrote:A lot of that originates from "he's another republican, let's smear him because he's not a democrat."

It's not that he's a Republican, it's that he's a paleoconservative with support among progressives. This two ideologies have very little in common other than taking a stand against Bush's war, and even then for in some cases different reasons. I appreciate Paul's presence in the race because he has some great things to say about the military-industrial complex, which none of the other candidates (including Obama) have the balls to talk about. But the rest of his ideology is honestly batshit.

I've seen some of the stuff and they intentionally misread what he says to extract sensationalism from him that they can use to brow-beat him out of the race.

Can you point me to some examples? I've read some of the same progressive analyses of the man and I have to say I did

EDIT: More Santorum goodies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7pv7sO5Gng

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrZtlnsBq_Y&feature=related
Last edited by Saim on 2012-03-25, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.

Ludwig Whitby

Postby Ludwig Whitby » 2012-03-25, 10:30

I like Ron Paul's foreign policies. America, vote for him!

Edit: Hehe, there is even a facebook group made by Serbs supporting Ron Paul. Putin, Gaddafi and Ron Paul. My people has a weird taste when it comes to politicians.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2012-03-25, 10:44

I agree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi12aVa3 ... re=related

I don't get his "leave it to the states" tap dance, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... OT_XQ&NR=1

Is it about personal liberty or is it about states' rights? The bill of rights ensures that the federal government can make sure the states don't impinge on personal freedoms. And yet Ron Paul says that the states can legislate on issues he himself admits are issues of basic liberty? And he calls himself a libertarian and a constitutionalist? What? :?

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2012-03-25, 11:26

Ludwig Whitby wrote:Hehe, there is even a facebook group made by Serbs supporting Ron Paul. Putin, Gaddafi and Ron Paul. My people has a weird taste when it comes to politicians.

Regime loyalists in Vietnam love, love Putin, which makes for an awkward time when it comes to the issue of friendship with the Communist Party of Russia. They also idolize Fidel Castro, Che and Hugo Chavez, and sympathize with Gaddafi, Assad, the Kim dynasty and the Iranian theocracy.

And there are at least 50,000 of them on Facebook.

Probably better if I say less about it. This shit only makes my blood boil. I just want to see them get hanged publicly, in batches of 1000.
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

Saim

Postby Saim » 2012-03-25, 17:49

Even the Kims?? That's shocking. Is that promoted by the state? What do Vietnamese people learn about North Korea in the media and so on?

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2012-03-25, 17:57

They say "Why do you reactionaries like to make fun of an international figure so much? Has he done anything to you? The leader of a country is dead now and we ought to pay respect to him. North Korean people love him and cry for him. Or have you no manner?"

You can't top that.

p/s. The state media maintains this seemingly neutral-but-polite tone when it comes to NK. Even so, their sympathy for the NK regime is only thinly veiled - you can see straight through. (For a start, what kind of government would use a non-criticising tone when talking about that wretch of a hellhole?)

Particularly egregious, since NK vocally backed China when the later invaded Vietnam in 1979. (The whole bonanza isn't taught in Vietnamese textbooks anyway, and they're beating up followers of Falun Gong for no apparent reason, other than... you know. It's looking more and more like a puppet regime of China to me.)
Last edited by Tenebrarum on 2012-03-25, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

abcdefg

Postby abcdefg » 2012-03-25, 18:03

Tenebrarum wrote:North Korean people love him and cry for him."

That's stupid.
Tôi kể người nghe chuyện Phố-trong-sông,
chuyện những mùa Đông đi qua thời con gái.
Bóng đổ dài, bước chân người mê mải
Gió chở mùa về,
hoang hoải cả giấc mơ..

JackFrost
Forum Administrator

Postby JackFrost » 2012-03-25, 19:29

Saim wrote:http://blog.spreadingsantorum.com

:P

This makes me really proud of the gays.
Neferuj paħujkij!

DissidentRage

Postby DissidentRage » 2012-03-26, 18:49

The Onion seems to have an interesting perspective on Santorum.
actually I support Rojava

Leviwosc

Postby Leviwosc » 2012-03-28, 22:29

Lewis Black - Rick Santorum & Gay Bandidos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAyt9oDZkx4

Leviwosc

Postby Leviwosc » 2012-04-10, 22:03

Well Santorum decided to stop with his campaign. I assume he ran out of money and he realised he had no chance becoming the president.

I'm still very disappointed with American politics. I'm very disappointed that it was HIS own choice to stop with this campaign now. He's obvious a liar and that is in the USA apparently no reason to be excluded from the campaigns. I thought this was only possible in banana republics.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2012-04-11, 6:51

:? I don't think there's any legal why to bar someone who's otherwise qualified from running for president because of their disgusting ideology.

JackFrost
Forum Administrator

Postby JackFrost » 2012-04-11, 7:03

It's not that he's run out of money, but he realized there is a slim chance he'll get enough delegates to secure the GOP nomination this summer.
Last edited by JackFrost on 2012-04-11, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.
Neferuj paħujkij!

Return to “Politics and Religion”