Scottish Independence

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
hlysnan
Re: Scottish Independence

Postby hlysnan » 2012-03-24, 10:37

Scotland never spoke OE (except possibly the Southern Uplands around 700-900AD, but even then the land was quickly switching between English, Norse and Gaelic hands). By the time it was under solid English rule, they would've been speaking Middle English (or French).

loqu

Postby loqu » 2012-03-24, 11:10

The level of nationalism in this thread is constipating me. And keeping in mind people call me a nationalist, it's quite disturbing.
Нека људи уживају у стварима.
Let people enjoy things.

Jurgen Wullenwever

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2012-03-24, 11:19

Scottish history has been very shifting, language-wise, but if we look at the current situation, there seem to be three spoken Scottish languages at hand, English, Scots and Gaelic, and if the purpose is to distance Scotland from Englishness, then Gaelic is the most obvious choice for the nation.
Chekhov wrote:I don't know about naive worldviews, but Jurgen Wullenwhatever pisses me off to no end because of his extreme pessimism and cynicism. You'd think the world was going to end imminently when talking to that guy.

Jag är rebell: jag sockrar teet, saltar maten, cyklar utan hjälm, och tänder glödlampor.
(Ovanstående var förut, nu försöker jag minska sockret och saltet, och har gett upp mejeriprodukter.)

Jurgen Wullenwever

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2012-03-24, 11:22

loqu wrote:The level of nationalism in this thread is constipating me. And keeping in mind people call me a nationalist, it's quite disturbing.

I think you are over-reacting somewhat. Is there even a Scottish nationalist in this thread? It is just us outsiders wanting something to happen on the map that otherwise would not concern us in the least.
Chekhov wrote:I don't know about naive worldviews, but Jurgen Wullenwhatever pisses me off to no end because of his extreme pessimism and cynicism. You'd think the world was going to end imminently when talking to that guy.

Jag är rebell: jag sockrar teet, saltar maten, cyklar utan hjälm, och tänder glödlampor.
(Ovanstående var förut, nu försöker jag minska sockret och saltet, och har gett upp mejeriprodukter.)

Set

Postby Set » 2012-03-24, 12:03

Jurgen Wullenwever wrote:
loqu wrote:The level of nationalism in this thread is constipating me. And keeping in mind people call me a nationalist, it's quite disturbing.

I think you are over-reacting somewhat. Is there even a Scottish nationalist in this thread? It is just us outsiders wanting something to happen on the map that otherwise would not concern us in the least.

I'd say one of us is a celtic nationalist.

And we're not all outsiders thank you.
Native:[flag=]en[/flag] Good:[flag=]de[/flag][flag=]ca[/flag] Focusing on:[flag=]fa[/flag][flag=]ku[/flag][flag=]ps[/flag] Interested in:[flag=]zza[/flag][flag=]tr[/flag][flag=]sw[/flag]

Jurgen Wullenwever

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2012-03-24, 12:25

Set wrote:I'd say one of us is a celtic nationalist.

And we're not all outsiders thank you.

I thought there was only one Scottish person in the thread, and that said person (you) was not a fanatic nationalist, but of a rather moderate stance. :?

That the rest us might have other leanings is another matter, but when I wrote my remark above, I only considered Scottish nationalists' nationalism as relevant for the nationalism here. (I did not re-read the thread before posting either, so there might be other Scots in there that I do not recall.) :wink:

loqu

Postby loqu » 2012-03-24, 13:57

Jurgen Wullenwever wrote:

Irrelevant. No need to be Scottish to be a nationalist, and there's a lot of it in this thread. I can feel sympathy for Scottish nationalism somehow, but not to the levels ciaran1212 is preaching.
Let people enjoy things.

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2012-03-24, 16:18

loqu wrote:I can feel sympathy for Scottish nationalism somehow, but not to the levels ciaran1212 is preaching.
Well, every nation has its nationalist fundamentalists, even the most civilized countries in the world, i.e., the Scandinavian ones.
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

Jurgen Wullenwever

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2012-03-24, 19:32

But is it so nationalistic to have the government and its branches use Gaelic instead of English, which basically is what "using the same methods, in reverse" would mean? :|

And is there something wrong with being nationalistic, and try to save the remnants of our cultural heritage? :?

loqu

Postby loqu » 2012-03-24, 20:50

Jurgen Wullenwever wrote:And is there something wrong with being nationalistic, and try to save the remnants of our cultural heritage? :?

Yes, extremism. Your question is pretty biased though.
Let people enjoy things.

Set

Postby Set » 2012-03-24, 21:47

loqu wrote:
Jurgen Wullenwever wrote:And is there something wrong with being nationalistic, and try to save the remnants of our cultural heritage? :?

Yes, extremism. Your question is pretty biased though.

Haha, exactly. It's like saying: Is there something wrong with being nationalistic, and trying to stop people eating babies? :silly:
Native:[flag=]en[/flag] Good:[flag=]de[/flag][flag=]ca[/flag] Focusing on:[flag=]fa[/flag][flag=]ku[/flag][flag=]ps[/flag] Interested in:[flag=]zza[/flag][flag=]tr[/flag][flag=]sw[/flag]

hlysnan

Postby hlysnan » 2012-03-24, 22:35

Hardly comparable.

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2012-03-25, 2:26

Yes, because you can save your cultural heritage by simply being interested in it without wearing your brown shirt. That is, don't force your ideas onto someone else; if you want to save your endangered language do so by making people interested in it, don't force them using it. Make it possible to use it in all instances, but don't remove the possibility for people to use the current standard until nearly everyone has chosen to leave it.
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

Jurgen Wullenwever

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2012-03-25, 7:58

Hunef wrote:Make it possible to use it in all instances,

There is currently no Celtic language for which this is possible, not even Welsh, it seems, so who is forcing whom? Yet the ones who mention some personal emotional support for endangered minority languages are labeled extremists.

That some pro-Celtic activities have gone off the mark into unpleasantness need not judge everything. There have been majority-language actions that are disgraceful as well, in the UK, and in Sweden, and many other countries.

Return to “Politics and Religion”