Would you donate to this?

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
mōdgethanc

Re: Would you donate to this?

Postby mōdgethanc » 2012-01-03, 4:02

Uh, what is democratic enough for you, then? Classical Athens?

Lada

Postby Lada » 2012-01-03, 9:04

Talib wrote:Wikipedia is still more democratic than the vast majority of the Web. How many other information sites let you update the content yourself? How many even let you join their super-exclusive membership?

In internet it's called "crowdsourcing" and has few common things with democracy. It's a very cool kind of business when you do nothing but unknown guys do everything for you. I'm pretty sure the owner of the site cares only about number of unique visitors (more loyal visitors --> more donations --- > more money) and all the stuff but not about the content. If people "eat" this, then it's OK, that's the logic of such businesses.
"Super-exclusive" membership is for geeks, I mean if you create a site there will some guys who will visit it more often than others, so it's part of loyalty program. So if you are crazy about wiki, ok man, get your "super-exclusive" membership and be happy, come again, write some shit, be happy again :)

Fulgenzio

Postby Fulgenzio » 2012-01-03, 13:51

Lada wrote:
Talib wrote:Wikipedia is still more democratic than the vast majority of the Web. How many other information sites let you update the content yourself? How many even let you join their super-exclusive membership?

In internet it's called "crowdsourcing" and has few common things with democracy.

You're right, that’s not really democracy. In fact it’s named ochlocracy.
As far as the enty is not about some particular sensitive issue.
Arcum instensio frangit, animum remissio.

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2012-01-06, 15:49

meidei wrote:Good. Cause it's not a product. It's an opensource project with certain goals and it depends on everyones contribution. So, next time you see something wrong in an article, hit the "Edit" button, and correct it.

It depends on the contribution of whoever who wants to participate, which is certainly not me. I don't think I will be seeing anything wrong in a Wikipedia article any time soon as I rarely check it, but even if I do, I won't click the edit button because I am not willing to give up my free time and expertise - which costed me money to build up - on a website in which just anybody can write whatever they want.
Not available

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2012-01-06, 21:11

You have the wrong idea of how a wiki works. If your information is correct and useful, the odds of it being deleted are very slim (except for vandalism, and that's usually reverted quickly). It's false, misleading or trivial information that tends to be deleted quickly, and there's a simple solution for that - don't write it in the first place.

Maybe if you actually used the site more, you would understand how it works.
In internet it's called "crowdsourcing" and has few common things with democracy.
Yeah, that's true. It's much more democratic than what we normally call democracy.

Ser
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Ser » 2012-01-09, 1:46

loqu wrote:Hunef, I get what you mean. I decided not to contribute anymore to the Spanish Wikipedia except for easily provable information, because the admins and mods act like a cult. If you don't agree with their opinions you get banned.
¿Cómo traducirías esto al español? En particular, ¿qué usarías para traducir "cult" aquí?

loqu
Location: Sevilla [seˈβiʝa] (Andalucía), born in Cádiz [ˈkaði]

Postby loqu » 2012-01-09, 6:36

salvo para información fácilmente comprobable, porque los admins y moderadores actúan como una secta.

Isn't secta used in El Salvador?
Dir la veritat sempre és revolucionari.

Fulgenzio

Postby Fulgenzio » 2012-01-09, 14:02

About the various claims of democracy in Wikipedia, it must be said that democracy requires regularity; there's nothing regular in the way users contribute to most Wikipedia entries, where the passionate insistence wins over any hypothetical balance: this is how ochlocracy works. On the other hand, when there is some sort of regularity this works tyrannically, in accordance with the view the mods intend to impose.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2012-01-09, 18:27

You sound mad that your edits were reverted.

Wikipedia is not about emotional appeals. It's an encyclopedia, and its job is to document facts. Material that can't be supported will be removed, and if the author can't provide a reasonable justification for keeping it, too bad.

Fulgenzio

Postby Fulgenzio » 2012-01-09, 19:31

Add any kind of source to (almost) anything and none will substantially edit your sentences. One can say they will put the tag “unreliable source?”: yes, then I can add another unreliable source while deleting the tag. It is absolutely normal in Wikipedia.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2012-01-09, 21:25

If you see unreliable sources, feel free to challenge them instead of - say - complaining about it on an unrelated website. That's how a wiki works, remember?

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2012-01-09, 23:20

Fulgenzio

Postby Fulgenzio » 2012-01-10, 0:45

In my opinion they're still scourging the secretary who dared to copy and paste those biographies from there. :lol:

Lada

Postby Lada » 2012-01-10, 13:31

quanver wrote:
Lada wrote:

Totally agree, moreover they tend to edit sensitive topics anonymously or just to freeze them. Well, wikipedia is good for non-politics, non-war and non-brand/companies info only.

Talib wrote:
Yeah, that's true. It's much more democratic than what we normally call democracy.

Ever heard about WikiScanner and what it revealed? May be it's one more proof of being so democratic according to someone's standards, but to me it's just one more proof that Wikipedia is a powerful tool to manipulate people's opinions. Of course it is used for "giving knowledge and light to the masses", but not always definitely.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2012-01-10, 19:59

You know they have measures in place to fight bias, right?

Saim

Postby Saim » 2012-01-11, 8:27

Lada wrote:
quanver wrote:
Lada wrote:

Totally agree, moreover they tend to edit sensitive topics anonymously or just to freeze them. Well, wikipedia is good for non-politics, non-war and non-brand/companies info only.

What do you mean "freeze"? They only ever lock it to anonymous or recently registered users.

MillMaths

Postby MillMaths » 2012-01-11, 10:31

I found out this morning that my IP address was blocked on the English Wikipedia site. :o The reason given was "vandalism" though I don't remember having tried to edit anything with that IP. I only found out when I tried to edit a page for some minor punctuation (the first time I tried to edit a wiki article anonymously on that IP). I had to log in with my account – one I hadn't used for two years – before I could edit. :?

Jurgen Wullenwever

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2012-01-11, 18:22

Sophie wrote:I found out this morning that my IP address was blocked on the English Wikipedia site.

So you are one of us now! :hug:
Chekhov wrote:I don't know about naive worldviews, but Jurgen Wullenwhatever pisses me off to no end because of his extreme pessimism and cynicism. You'd think the world was going to end imminently when talking to that guy.

Jag är rebell: jag sockrar teet, saltar maten, cyklar utan hjälm, och tänder glödlampor.
(Ovanstående var förut, nu försöker jag minska sockret och saltet.)

Bryon

Postby Bryon » 2012-01-11, 22:54

I got my whole English class banned from Wikipedia in the 10th grade!
Main: [flag]fi[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]ru[/flag] [flag]es-mx[/flag]
Ole ystävällinen ja korjaa virheeni!

MillMaths

Postby MillMaths » 2012-01-12, 9:23

Jurgen Wullenwever wrote:
Sophie wrote:I found out this morning that my IP address was blocked on the English Wikipedia site.

So you are one of us now! :hug:
:roll:

And Trotsky wasn't a Jew, he was a communist. :naughty:

Return to “Politics and Religion”