Would you donate to this?

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
mōdgethanc
Re: Would you donate to this?

Postby mōdgethanc » 2012-01-12, 18:23

Wasn't he both?
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

MillMaths

Postby MillMaths » 2012-01-12, 19:05

Sorry, that was meant to be a joke between Jurgen Wullenwever and myself. :whistle: (Jurgen initially included something about Trotsky in his post; I saw it before he edited it out.)

Jurgen Wullenwever

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2012-01-12, 19:56

Sophie wrote:Sorry, that was meant to be a joke between Jurgen Wullenwever and myself. :whistle: (Jurgen initially included something about Trotsky in his post; I saw it before he edited it out.)

I often write entire posts without sending them, or deleting them immediately after sending them.

The mentioned "something about Trotsky", but with different punctuation:
Trotsky is not a Jew. He is a soldier. He is one of us.
Sophie is not a Troll. Her IP is banned from Wikipedia. She is one of us.
Chekhov wrote:I don't know about naive worldviews, but Jurgen Wullenwhatever pisses me off to no end because of his extreme pessimism and cynicism. You'd think the world was going to end imminently when talking to that guy.

Jag är rebell: jag sockrar teet, saltar maten, cyklar utan hjälm, och tänder glödlampor.
(Ovanstående var förut, nu försöker jag minska sockret och saltet, och har gett upp mejeriprodukter.)

MillMaths

Postby MillMaths » 2012-01-12, 21:21

Tack så mycket. :)

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2012-01-13, 5:53

How anal-retentive some people can be about punctuation does weird me out though, usually changing a whole article from British to American punctuation in particular (regarding quotations). Even though the rules would say it was fine originally.

MillMaths

Postby MillMaths » 2012-01-14, 0:53

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2012-12-15, 22:39

Serafín wrote:How anal-retentive some people can be about punctuation does weird me out though, usually changing a whole article from British to American punctuation in particular (regarding quotations). Even though the rules would say it was fine originally.

There are rules about this, though. If the subject is deemed British, text that pertains to it (quotes and, if it is the subject of the article, the whole article) must be in British English. The same goes for American English, Australian English, etc. with exceptions, of course, for creoles and obscure variants of English.

I think I'd probably donate to Wikipedia at some point if I owned a credit card.

Jurgen Wullenwever

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2013-03-22, 23:01

Jurgen Wullenwever wrote:Wikipedia has had its yearly fundraising campaign for a while now. I have not given them anything previously, since I hoped that they would manage anyway, and since I held a grudge for being banned from the Swedish Wikipedia a few years ago.

Today they made a desperate final plea, and I am a weak person, easily influenced, so I gave in and donated a small sum.

What would you do? Am I despicable and too softhearted or a pillar of society?

I fell for this again, after two years, and gave them some of my hard-earned cash. :|
Chekhov wrote:I don't know about naive worldviews, but Jurgen Wullenwhatever pisses me off to no end because of his extreme pessimism and cynicism. You'd think the world was going to end imminently when talking to that guy.

Jag är rebell: jag sockrar teet, saltar maten, cyklar utan hjälm, och tänder glödlampor.
(Ovanstående var förut, nu försöker jag minska sockret och saltet, och har gett upp mejeriprodukter.)

MillMaths

Postby MillMaths » 2013-03-22, 23:52

Good for you.

md0

Postby md0 » 2013-04-17, 17:55

A bit of necroposting, but I can see why you people are so negative about donating to Wikipedia.
I am not a frequent contribution, but I have created 5~6 articles on Greek wikipedia and I edit out mistakes on both Greek and English wikipedia, and I think that to have an open-source encyclopedia is worth both the time and the donations. Having said that, I think I only donated twice. I used to donate every year to LibreOffice though. This year, too poor for donations :/
Do try LibreOffice4 people, and if you guys like it,give them a tenner eh :) Other than providing a complete office suite at no cost they also do great work promoting opensource and interportable document formats.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Return to “Politics and Religion”