Evolution versus Creationism

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.

Evolution versus Creationism

I believe in Evolution
78%
I believe in Creationism
6%
I believe in Itelligent Design
4%
I believe in Theistic Evolutionism
11%

Total votes: 114

voron
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Evolution versus Creationism

Postby voron » 2017-11-09, 15:57

xBlackHeartx wrote:Scienstists LIE. You want an example? I was reading a page on physics, written by an actual physist, and he revealed something that shocked me: The planetary model of the atom, had actually been discredited in the mid 80s.

It's not "wrong" and it wasn't discredited. It's just less precise than the subsequent models.

It's the way science works. Science doesn't know anything with the 100% accuracy, and never claims that it does. What science does is it suggests a model that attempts to describe the known reality and observations. When new observations are obtained, this model may not work for them, and a more precise model is required, and so on and so on.

An easy example. If a train moves with the speed 30km/h, and you walk inside the train towards its front with the speed 1km/h, the Newtonian model suggests that your total speed (the speed relative to the ground) is 31km/h. However the newer Einsteinian model tells us that it is slightly less: 30.99999914km/h (the formula is here http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hb ... nvel2.html).

Does it mean that the Newtonian model is "wrong"? Of course no. It is still useful for all everyday purposes when we deal with speeds much lower than the speed of light.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2017-11-09, 16:59

md0 wrote:People like Dawkins are doing a huge disservice to both science and secularism, and New Atheism is a reactionary movement plain and simple.

The God Delusion was hugely influential on my life. It awakened my fascination in science and largely put to rest the lingering superstitions I had floating around my mind. The millions of books he sells and the huge crowds he draws suggest that I'm far from the only one.

Saim wrote:The part of the God Delusion that most stuck with me was the bit where he talks about a survey of Israeli Jewish children who justified genocide against the Canaanites but took the side of the Canaanites when the names were changed and the conflict was set in China. But then you see these New Atheists engaging in apologetics for Western imperialism, racism and nationalism and you realise that religion isn't the main driving force of all of that.

I haven't seen any apologetics for racism, but quite a bit of apologetics for imperialism, mainly from Hitchens and Harris. I think I figured out where Hitchens went wrong, especially with regards to his support for the Iraq war. He was deeply committed to the cause of Kurdish self-determination, and thought that freeing the Kurds from the yoke of Saddam justified the Western invasion. I think his devotion to the Kurds blinded him to how dire the unintended consequences of the invasion would be. Even assuming overall good intentions on the part of the invaders (a problematic assumption), a cursory review of historical foreign occupations (and just taking a fucking second to put yourself in the shoes of an occupied people) should have made it clear that the probability of the occupation being successful (smooth democratic transition, no uprising) was extremely low. This fact was probably obscured by how well the occupations of Germany and Japan went, and not recognizing that these occupations were not analogous to what was being attempted in Iraq.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Saim

Postby Saim » 2017-11-09, 17:21

Yasna wrote:
md0 wrote:People like Dawkins are doing a huge disservice to both science and secularism, and New Atheism is a reactionary movement plain and simple.

The God Delusion was hugely influential on my life.

Me too, but I don't really agree with Dawkins's social critique any more. Often he'll make a critique of the ethics of religion and such and when people bring up Stalinism or liberation theology or anything that makes this less of a black-and-white issue, and he always backtracks and says "well, I only care about what's true". Which is fine, but then why make the social/ethical critique in the first place?

I haven't seen any apologetics for racism,

I don't mean any of the "intellectuals" in the movement (well, maybe Sam Harris, but we've already made our disagreement on his views clear so I'm not sure how much you'd want to rehash it), but on the internet I do see a bit of an overlap between the alt-right and people who still identify with New Atheism.

He was deeply committed to the cause of Kurdish self-determination, and thought that freeing the Kurds from the yoke of Saddam justified the Western invasion. I think his devotion to the Kurds blinded him to how dire the unintended consequences of the invasion would be.

I agree. I think he was also influenced by 9/11 and his Trotskyist background.

The thing is that after the Iraq War went the way it did he dug in his heels and kept supporting neoconservatism in US foreign policy, and indeed endorsed Obama more the closer his foreign policy got to Bush's. Although I guess we all prefer not to admit to making major mistakes.

Lur

Postby Lur » 2017-11-09, 19:25

Saim wrote:Really all they do is prove is that religion is not the main force behind conservatism and xenophobia, which kind of undermines the social critique aspect of New Atheism.

The part of the God Delusion that most stuck with me was the bit where he talks about a survey of Israeli Jewish children who justified genocide against the Canaanites but took the side of the Canaanites when the names were changed and the conflict was set in China. But then you see these New Atheists engaging in apologetics for Western imperialism, racism and nationalism and you realise that religion isn't the main driving force of all of that.

My point is actually that either some of these people are a kind of Christian or despite the superficial atheism they retain many things internalized from Christianism, like the idea of proselitism and religious control over certain areas being justified because it's special because blablabla

I haven't ever read a book by Dawkins, but I know he's also one of those that maintain this unnecesary idea of "atheist of Christian culture", which is what sometimes goes wrong.

But I dunno. I'm a bit weird on this whole thing. Ive had my fair share of people from vastly different ideologies being either puzzled or angry at me, which is unfortunate.
Geurea dena lapurtzen uzteagatik, geure izaerari uko egiteagatik.

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-11-25, 5:58

I don't think in these terms, but I'm going to say that it's witchcraft to rely on science so there's no reason for me to indulge in it. I don't know how old the earth is and I doubt anybody knows for sure. It probably wouldn't matter either way. Like even if we knew, it wouldn't show us how it was created. Isn't that what people want to know? :hmm:

The idea that humans are related to animals through some kind of obscure DNA is dumb to me. I don't have to believe what I don't know. I also don't agree with such ideas because they require me to believe in something and I don't, which means I'm better than an animal

To answer the question, I just go along with what my ancestors believed. They were all pagans. I'm not interested in science-based beliefs because I think that's for fools
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-11-25, 23:49

Gormur wrote:it's witchcraft to rely on science

wat

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-12-28, 6:25

vijayjohn wrote:

wat
I'm curious what you mean with this statement although I'm sure I'll get no significant response. There's no proof of Darwinism just as there's no proof that Hashem (the Creator, in Hebrew) created the earth in 6 days and rested on the 7th

By the way, wat isn't a word or maybe I'm an old timer at 37 and everything's moving too fast

By the way I'm an atheist so none of this matters to me. I just hate when people waste my time with their mental gymnastics :hmm:
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2021-01-22, 14:19

Gormur wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:

wat
I'm curious what you mean with this statement although I'm sure I'll get no significant response. There's no proof of Darwinism just as there's no proof that Hashem (the Creator, in Hebrew) created the earth in 6 days and rested on the 7th

By the way, wat isn't a word or maybe I'm an old timer at 37 and everything's moving too fast

By the way I'm an atheist so none of this matters to me. I just hate when people waste my time with their mental gymnastics :hmm:

You may be an atheist, but you sound like an American Christian creationist when you use the word 'Darwinism' in this kind of context. :whistle:

languagepotato

Postby languagepotato » 2021-04-11, 12:02

So, after a lot of thinking and rereading of the Quran, I have come to a different conclusion and now I think I can vote on the option theistic evolution without contradicting my beliefs.

My earlier view: Adam and Eve were the first homo sapiens and were created but not the first humanoids.

Current view: Adam and Eve were the first humans created in Paradise but not the first humans nor the first homo sapiens on earth, on earth Adam was the first Messenger of God, and to be a Messenger of God, well you got to have people to send the message to, therefore Adam must have had people to send the message to. What this means is that I now fully believe in theistic/guided evolution.
native: (ar-MA) (nl)
very comfortable: (en-US)
somewhat comfortable: (de) (es) (af)
forgetting: (fr) (ar-arb)
touristy level: (ro) (sv)(ber)(pl)
someday hopefully: (ja) (sq) (cs) (tr) and many others

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-04-20, 6:34

Some of the people who voted for "Intelligent Design" here seem to be confused as to what that actually means.

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2021-04-20, 14:18

vijayjohn wrote:Some of the people who voted for "Intelligent Design" here seem to be confused as to what that actually means.
Sure but think about this. One could simply accept the idea that a god or gods (things we can't explain) molded the earth out of a volcano rather than accept that science did it and still be an atheist

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-04-20, 17:04

What do you think atheism even means?
Gormur wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:

wat
I'm curious what you mean with this statement although I'm sure I'll get no significant response.

What do you mean it's witchcraft to rely on science?

Saim

Postby Saim » 2021-04-21, 1:49

Gormur wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Some of the people who voted for "Intelligent Design" here seem to be confused as to what that actually means.
Sure but think about this. One could simply accept the idea that a god or gods (things we can't explain) molded the earth out of a volcano rather than accept that science did it and still be an atheist

Who believes that science created the Earth? By all accounts the Earth vastly predates the development of science.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-06-16, 22:22

Saim wrote:
Gormur wrote:

Who believes that science created the Earth? By all accounts the Earth vastly predates the development of science.

I guess by "science," he means "things that can be explained scientifically."

DissidentRage

Postby DissidentRage » 2021-06-21, 0:23

Gormur wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:

wat

Oh so you're a zeteticist who denies information that cannot be directly observed by your own personal senses.
actually I support Rojava

Return to “Politics and Religion”